Page 55 of 529 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I doubt that Paddy will be picked up by anyone but I hope I am wrong.

Senior Player
    Bit of an underwhelming selection, he’d have been available at the rookie draft later in the year.

Has potential but very raw, years away from senior level

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Bit of an underwhelming selection, he’d have been available at the rookie draft later in the year.

I wondered why we picked him NOW?

Senior Player

Now we can pick someone else.

Suspended by the MRP

Sorry you were bored that we picked based on a NEED !

Perhaps we could’ve taken him later in the year but by taking him now he becomes a full time footballer rather than part time mixing training with work or study. That extra 6 months of development could be huge.

Personally, I feel like we’ve drafted a lot of hybrid rucks in the last few years so am glad to have a pure project giant on the books.

Senior Player
    A raw ruckman that is well behind his contemporaries in terms of development and is 3-4 years away from senior selection is a need?

Perhaps the Swans\ official announcement will give us some insight into the McAndrew selection. Here are some thoughts with pure speculation.

• There may have been some concern that another club was interested in him and could have drafted him with a pick after ours.
    • He may be on a 6 month contract, so if we don't like what we see, we can just delist him (might be on an 18 month contract, but don't know).
    • We passed on Jackson Callow, one of the more more highly rated key forwards in the draft, who was taken later on. Maybe we didn't rate him, or perhaps we are happy enough with our current key forward prospects.
    • The same might be true regarding Paddy McCartin. I'm not sure, but Paddy might be able to be signed as a DFA during the trade period.
    • I think this pick doesn't bode well for Sinkers. If Naismith gets through the season without further injury, we might choose to keep McAndrew as our 3rd ruck and delist Sinclair.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 2nd June 2021 at 08:46 PM.

Suspended by the MRP
    Naismith's knee

A raw ruckman that is well behind his contemporaries in terms of development and is 3-4 years away from senior selection is a need?
    Absolutely! A developing pure ruck is exactly what we need. He's not going to play any time soon but Sinclair is likely to finish at the end of this season and Hickey and Naismith are older and banged up. We need some young rucks developing behind them. I would still like us to look at trading for a ready to go ruck-forward (like CCJ or Chol from Richmond) as well. They don't have to be best 22 but they have to be ready to play senior footy so we can call on them as a back-up or to play alongside a pure ruck (like Hickey, Naismith and, perhaps one day, McAndrew).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Goes up to 11
    That was an unfortunate punch from Paddy a few weeks ago - I thought we'd have drafted him for sure. Hope he keeps doing well in the ressies at least (when he's allowed back) - he's quality.

Senior Player
    I don’t have anything against McAndrew, from what I’ve seen in the vfl he looks to have potential as a tap ruckman.

He is however extremely raw and our history of developing rucks from within is poor at best. He is years away from senior level.

I’m not sure what else we should’ve done with our hand, Callow as a developing KPD might’ve been worth a shot, or even Tom Green as an inside mid

Anyway it’s done now