Page 63 of 529 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    The danger with landing a big fish is that our impressive school of fingerlings will need to be adequately fed when they grow into bigger fish.
    I'd be utterly utterly guttted if Swans management flushed our "fingerlings" in preference of recruiting a ludicrously expensive "big fish"
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I will stick my head above the turret and pose the question about whether we should make a play for Mitchell? We lack a class midfielder at present who wins large possessions. He is the ultimate distributor and may be a good addition to feed it out to Ollie, Stephens and Co? I certainly think he would make a better addition for us than he would for any of the so-called "big Melbourne clubs" like Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon. They don't seem to need that type of player.

I note that he does not want to leave cold, grey, lockdowned Melbourne for one of the world's great cities, but if he wants to play in a premiership contender going forward then we may be a good option for him. I will now prepare myself for the anticipated abuse for suggesting this possibility.
    Certainly no abuse April, as every suggestion merits due consideration- however some can be a bit far fetched! Out of interest, have we ever taken back a player who left us?

In Mitchell’s case, clearly the money was a big factor. Now it is fair to say that as professionals they want to secure their future but the coin he received from the Swans was not exactly shabby and is there such a thing as love of a club ?Mitchell didn’t show too much. On that basis I say no thank you!

No from me he is to slow , we have Kennedy , Parker and now Mills going through the middle with suspect leg speed . Kennedy the only one close to retirement. He has also had some significant injuries the last few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep in mind Tom Mitchell still has 2 years remaining on his contract which gives Hawthorn bargaining hand not to accept unders for him. Don't think they have cap space issues like Collingwood needing to offload him. Agree with above sentiments that his Melbourne Clubs wish list is very narrow in current state of play, so every chance he'll see out his contract at HFC and then possibly move as RFA.

He went to Hawthorn just after their premiership window had expired and it would be apt if he ended up at Richmond in same trajectory, whilst we enjoy finals glory! He may in hindsight rue his decision leaving us when he did for just a few dollars more.

He obviously chases the $$$. Can't blame him because that's how he pays the mortgage. Having said that, I prefer players who show a smidgeon of genuine love for the club. Given our cost of living disadvantage, these are the sort of players we need to attract.

On the veteran's list
    [QUOTE=Roadrunner;820 Out of interest, have we ever taken back a player who left us?![/QUOTE]

Caaaappppeer!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Out of interest, have we ever taken back a player who left us
    John Rantall and Paul Morwood are other players that come to mind.

On the veteran's list
    Paul Hawke?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Andrew Bomford

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Geelong surely? They should have fallen off a cliff by this time next year
    Mitchell is a bit young for the recruiting profile Geelong likes to follow . . .
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Geelong surely? They should have fallen off a cliff by this time next year
    and Geelong always have salary cap space!

Richmond must have a tight salary cap, Dusty on $1.3mill per season for the next 5 years, don't think Tom Lynch is playing for peanuts and Shai Bolton out of contract, highly promising Coleman-Jones out of contract. Be the last club Mitchell would be likely to land, second last would be the Pies who still have cap woes :-)

Essendon? well Dodo would only want to give Hawks a third rounder LOL

I think the suggestion last night, in terms of Melbourne clubs that Mitchell would go to, is all about Hawthorn trying to secure some early picks. I wouldn’t be surprised if they agreed to continue paying some of his salary if they could get him to Richmond and were offered decent picks in exchange.