Page 82 of 529 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132182 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Good news on Sports Radio this morning about Dawson. He was interviewed and this is what he had to say about his contract situation:

“I’m working with the club and my manager as well. I don’t think Sydney fans should be nervous at all,” Dawson told SEN.
    That sounds so promising. Fingers crossed it's a formality he'll sign and further commit to the club (long term hopefully).

Veterans List
    Good news on Sports Radio this morning about Dawson. He was interviewed and this is what he had to say about his contract situation:

“I’m working with the club and my manager as well. I don’t think Sydney fans should be nervous at all,” Dawson told SEN.
    Looks a happy player in a team on the rise. Liked that they moved him to a wing yesterday, offers too much to be guarding players in the back half. Is a very smart footballer with a super boot, so valuable forward of centre.

Regular in the Side
    To listen to Dawson's Interview when he allayed any worries Swans supporters may have regarding his future at the club. He also talked about some of the rising young players.

Dawson sounds settled and happy at the club. Why he'd move (even for a fair bit of extra $) to a club really at the bottom of the cycle I'd never understand, and I can't see how Port will be able to offer much more then we could. Maybe one of the donkey melbourne clubs might offer big $ that will be hard to resist, but I'd be very suprised to see him leave at this point.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Our CEO, Tom Harley, is being mentioned by multiple media people as being a good fit for the newly vacant AFL Head of Football position. Let's hope he is happy to stay in Sydney rather than chase this high-profile but high pressure position. We face plenty of challenges ahead including recovering our finances post-Covid and establishing a new training facility. Its not the best time to bring in a new CEO!

The Melbourne Herald Sun ran a big story today about the top 100 highest paid players in the AFL. Not surprisingly, Buddy was number 1 with $1.5 million this year and $900k next. Other Swans to be on big coin were Heeney 825-875, Parker 775-825, Rampe 700-750, Lloyd, Papley, Mills all on 600-650. No real argument with that list based on performance, although I was a bit surprised how high some of those home grown Sydney players are paid. It helps explain our very tight cap. I guess I hoped that they might accept a little less to stay near home much the same way Geelong seems to manage to achieve this with their home grown talent? Heeney is probably a bit over-paid but I seem to recall that North offered him a King's ransom to leave a few years back. Anyway it is what it is.

2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I was a bit surprised how high some of those home grown Sydney players are paid. It helps explain our very tight cap. I guess I hoped that they might accept a little less to stay near home much the same way Geelong seems to manage to achieve this with their home grown talent?
    This is a general comment as I have no idea what our players are paid and the negotiations that might have taken between players and the club. But:

1. I imagine a lot of Geelong players have third-party contracts in Geelong where AFL is a religion, so using a player in marketing is a valuable ‘sell’.

I expect that would only apply for a few elite Swans players in Sydney.

2. Swans appear to have always treated players very fairly, for example recognising COL issues and (in the past anyway) paying young players more than they were legally obliged to. So possibly the club has not attempted to negotiate ‘accept less for the good of the club’ contracts.

Both points are pure speculation on my part.

Taking less money to live in Geelong (where the cost of living is relatively low) is probably not as jarring as taking less money to live in Sydney (even if it is close to home).

Seems that every big-name player who moves to Geelong is a property developer all of a sudden.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    For those without a subscription to the Hun, the book is called "The Boys' Club" by Michael Warner.

Colless may be right in that description, as it was compltely unjustified. But how much effect did it have? The trade bang ended years ago, and Buddy's monster contract has continued to stop the Swans from recruiting any A or B graders from other clubs to the present day.
    It all makes sense when you start with the premise that vAFL needs Sydney teams to be competitive… but they just don't want us to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    Taking less money to live in Geelong (where the cost of living is relatively low) is probably not as jarring as taking less money to live in Sydney (even if it is close to home).
    Spot on the rumours of land packages to Geelong players to sign for unders has been floating around for a few years . Nothing to see here in the eyes of the AFL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that has been happening in every state for years in many sports
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"