Page 76 of 529 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126176 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Suspended by the MRP
    Its not hard to see why we've gone back to 2020 too much since our 4-0 start

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Very interesting

And a very positive development.

I wonder where the Longmire-Pyke scales sit at the moment?

We do seem to be a bit more like the 2020 Swans rather than the 2021 version recently
    I think Pyke will get one of the available senior jobs in 2022. With the exception of a pre-season camp that didn’t work out, Pyke has brilliant coaching credentials.

If the senior assistant job came available, I would love to see Nathan Buckley in the role. I think Buckley would thrive in that senior assistant role in a non AFL city. Imagine Buckley mentoring Chad and giving Chad a postgraduate education on how to be an AFL superstar midfielder.

Having said that, Buckley could take a spot on the couch and be very prominent in the AFL press in Melbourne.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Don Pyke interviewed by Kane Cornes on SEN this morning and he asked him how Will Gould is going. Don said Gould has put in a solid 6 week performance in the VFL and is on the right side of the magnet board. He is anticipating that Will make his debut in the next month or so.

Don revealed he was approached by the Swans to inject fresh coaching ideas and has free rein to challenge John L. More or less agreed that our more attacking style this year was his influence as the club were conscience to improve their scoring rate.
    Informative! Have a listen at https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=844360

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    I think Pyke will get one of the available senior jobs in 2022. With the exception of a pre-season camp that didn’t work out, Pyke has brilliant coaching credentials.

If the senior assistant job came available, I would love to see Nathan Buckley in the role. I think Buckley would thrive in that senior assistant role in a non AFL city. Imagine Buckley mentoring Chad and giving Chad a postgraduate education on how to be an AFL superstar midfielder.

Having said that, Buckley could take a spot on the couch and be very prominent in the AFL press in Melbourne.
    We have 43 other players and it makes 22 to make a team you know

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Its not hard to see why we've gone back to 2020 too much since our 4-0 start
    I think i have a reasonable footy mind TB, and i've pondered your statement for a good five minutes trying to figure out what the obvious reason is you are referring to that would explain the change in our game from the 4-0 start.. and I'm none the wiser!!

It's likely due to a multitude of reasons! Young players getting tired.. injuries impacting the form of players like Heeney & Hickey.. the expected inconsistency of a young squad.. & most importantly (and inevitably!!) the competition catching on to the way we were playing!

I believe the coaches would've foreseen all of these adversities.. no season is perfect and without it's bumps and hiccups! But i dont see an overriding reason, so please enlighten us? Because I think we're doing pretty darn well to still be in the top 8!! And I betcha we stay there! I was at the G tonight and witnessed a top 8 side devoid of life! We have life!! It makes the world of difference!

CHEER CHEER!

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I see the Richmond Ruck Boutique will be showcasing all three this weekend. Should be required viewing for Ludwig and all lovers of the beautiful art.
    Will be interested to read Ludwig's analysis. All three should be now very affordable. Not a great debut for young Samson who ended up with negative fantasy points with one hitout and one free against for 55% ToG. Exceeds the effort of our very own Chambers who could at least score zero.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    I think i have a reasonable footy mind TB, and i've pondered your statement for a good five minutes trying to figure out what the obvious reason is you are referring to that would explain the change in our game from the 4-0 start.. and I'm none the wiser!!

It's likely due to a multitude of reasons! Young players getting tired.. injuries impacting the form of players like Heeney & Hickey.. the expected inconsistency of a young squad.. & most importantly (and inevitably!!) the competition catching on to the way we were playing!

I believe the coaches would've foreseen all of these adversities.. no season is perfect and without it's bumps and hiccups! But i dont see an overriding reason, so please enlighten us? Because I think we're doing pretty darn well to still be in the top 8!! And I betcha we stay there! I was at the G tonight and witnessed a top 8 side devoid of life! We have life!! It makes the world of difference!

CHEER CHEER!
    When we were 4-0 some of our best players were the new faces - Chad , Gulden, Campbell , Hickey

Since then they've had injuries and have been replaced in a way by players who are too 2020 like

Hayward's surprised me actually since he came back so good on him , but he doesnt provide the spark or the class of Gulden in a similar role

Rowbottom's been ok but he's not fit to lace Chad's boots

Fox just can't break lines or rebound at all like Campbell can

All 3 of those kids were major reasons we played such fantastic footy early on and they've been phased out because of injuries in favour of lesser versions of themselves , blokes who regularly got games in 2020 and that was part of the problem. If you field too many average players its inevitable you will play some average footy

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Will be interested to read Ludwig's analysis. All three should be now very affordable. Not a great debut for young Samson who ended up with negative fantasy points with one hitout and one free against for 55% ToG. Exceeds the effort of our very own Chambers who could at least score zero.
    Sampson injured his knee in a collision in his first play of the game......he played on but it was very unfortunate for the kid as he was obviously affected by it. A debut he'd like to forget.

- - - Updated - - -

Rowbottom's been ok but he's not fit to lace Chad's boots
    From what was a good post, we get this....and you wonder why you get blowback.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    From what was a good post, we get this....and you wonder why you get blowback.
    Shouldnt get blowback as i didnt say anything that wasn't obvious. RB and Chad are different kinds of players and without Chad as a major part of our midfield mix we lose the run and flair in the midfield that we had in the first month or so

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Yeah but Torture was consistent. Let's see if Samson can string a few games together with those sorts of numbers before we compare

Shouldnt get blowback as i didnt say anything that wasn't obvious. RB and Chad are different kinds of players and without Chad as a major part of our midfield mix we lose the run and flair in the midfield that we had in the first month or so
    It was a suberp post.

Early in the year Chad, Guldon, McDonald and Campbell were all going superbly. We were playing Don Pyke corridor football and were exciting.

I said in my posts at the time that these young players need a week off here and there to freshen up and not break down. People laughed at me for raising the concept of informed player management. All four of those players have broken down and spend time out.

I was right and want people to apologise for doubting my opinion on informed player management.

I think those young players have not been helped by the fact the Swans started playing crash and bash contested boundary line football and went away from the Don Pyke corridor style. The corridor style is better for the young guys as they can use their run and don’t need to play as much contested football.

People will say that the opposition blocked the corridor however I believe that there were still many more opportunities to go through the corridor. The players became risk adverse and it seems that coaches also became risk adverse.

The ego dressing echo chamber back at it again, derailing another thread.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."