Page 36 of 529 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Regular in the Side
    Plus Mumford and Cameron

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    There seems to be an impressive group of ex-Swans players performing well elsewhere at the moment: Aliir, Nankervis, Membery, Rohan, Mitchell and Jones come to mind. I think all benefited from their move.

Aliir seems to have regained his confidence and dare in a very strong team. Many think he may be All Australian this year.
    I agree. I believe that Aliir is benefiting from now being at a club who has learnt from our mismanagement of him. Sure, this mismanagement was largely due to our list constraints and injuries leading to him being shuffled around and never settling into one spot. His confidence suffered as a result and his form never reached the consistent levels of 2016. The knee injury late in this season didn't help his progress either and set in motion his confidence decline and being played out of position.

At Port, like Rohan at Geelong, I believe he has been told 'this is your role, we have every confidence in you and your staying there' and subsequently he has gone from strength to strength and yes, now looks every bit an AA player. We blew it......but I'm super glad we got Hickey out of this trade. It softens the blow of losing Aliir and seeing him now deliver on his obvious huge potential.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 11th May 2021 at 02:08 PM.

Does that mean West Coast mismanaged Hickey?

Not saying we didn't mismanage Aliir, but it's hard to be sure. Last year, in Aliir's own words he was down on form. As for Rohan, I think he is definitely benefiting from having Hawkins and Cameron there too. Plus he benefits from 150 games and many years experience. Not sure how different the role he plays for the Cats is to what he did with us. At both clubs he's kind of the third tall who applies a lot of pressure in the front half.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Interesting selection possibilities for which ex-Swans would be selected to either

1. turn us into a genuine flag winner in 2021/2 OR
    2. add the polish to the current list to do likewise in 2022/2025.

Mumford I discount on age and and ability to play every week, but Nankervis and Hickey would be an awesome ruck and around the ground combination. I doubt Cameron would be selected in front of Sinclair or McClean if we wanted a team with another tall forward.

Membery and Rohan would not replace Heeney but either might improve the short term lead up forward role; but maybe not for the longer term. Also, McDonald would not be gaining experience for that longer term.

Mitchell and Jones are both playing well. Kennedy and Parker are hanging in there so the casualties would be Warner, Rowbottom or Florent. I'm not sure their inclusions would convert us to a short term flag contender, and our Cygnets would be disadvantaged. But those 2 make a significant contribution once Kennedy and Parker need to be replaced.

Allir is an interesting one (assuming he plays at his Port Adelaide standard.He is not the Key Defender we may be short of, nor would he be the relieving Ruck. He might push out Dawson, but is that a big plus?

We are on track to be around the top 8 this year, and the inclusion of some of the ex-Swans might confirm that, but I doubt we would be flag favourites this year or next as a result.

All speculation of course and ignores salary cap, who we got as recruits, game plan etc etc.

But interesting to confirm that I put more trust in the Cygnets for 2023 onwards.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

Not saying we didn't mismanage Aliir, but it's hard to be sure. Last year, in Aliir's own words he was down on form. As for Rohan, I think he is definitely benefiting from having Hawkins and Cameron there too. Plus he benefits from 150 games and many years experience. Not sure how different the role he plays for the Cats is to what he did with us. At both clubs he's kind of the third tall who applies a lot of pressure in the front half.
    Are you seriously suggesting that Hickey is a better player than Nic Nat?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

I don't think so as WC had Natanui and Vardy, one a gun and the other higher in the pecking order. Hickey was always just an insurance policy for the Eagles while NicNat was missing.....but I can remember seeing him play for them and I wasn't unimpressed with what I saw.....so we have certainly benefited from their eventual ruck riches.

I think both Aliir and Rohan were victims of the Swans list and injury woes rather than bad coaching and just weren't able to settle on one task/position. Rohan, while mainly stationed in the forward line with us, was shuffled around the midfield and wings as well as the half back line at times. It's like the Swans were constantly in a quandary as to where to best utilise his speed instead of just deciding 'he's a leading forward who marks well, let's just leave him there', like Geelong wisely have.

Both of these players are now in the right environment to thrive....and we now have Hickey and enough developing players and young guns to well and truly cover for both. It's turned out quite well for all parties.

Suspended by the MRP
    I cant be the only one who doesnt give a rats arse whatAliir is going at Port adelaide ? He was a nervous butter fingers when he was a Swan ! Nice he has found some form but he wouldnt have done it with us. Good luck to him now lets move on

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I cant be the only one who doesnt give a rats arse whatAliir is going at Port adelaide ? He was a nervous butter fingers when he was a Swan ! Nice he has found some form but he wouldnt have done it with us. Good luck to him now lets move on
    This.....relentlessly negative drivel. Can't you just be happy for him?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    This.....relentlessly negative drivel. Can't you just be happy for him?
    Why would i be happy for him ? Is he a swans player ?? I said good luck to him what is the point in dwelling on someone no longer on our list !

Warming the Bench
    I haven't posted for a while but can admit that I totally underestimated the level at which Hickey has played at. Based on what I saw, I didn't think he had this level in him. Therefore, I am so happy to eat humble pie. Well done to KB and the team.

I can now say that this was a win win for Sydney, Hickey and AA. It is nice that we could accommodate AA's request and help safeguard his future, and win at the same time.

And for what its worth I am glad that AA is playing well... though hopefully not against us.

On the veteran's list
    Rohan - downhill skier. Won’t get a kick in the finals.
    Mitchell - looking slow and ineffective in a weak team. Further from a flag than when he left to chase money.
    Jones - still the turnover king. In two close games this year I have seen him butcher the ball in the dying seconds to lose the game.
    Aliir - playing ok but can he keep it up and keep his nose clean off field. (Allowed us to get Hickey who is more important to us)
    Membrey - probably still not quite real AFL standard but got a game for saints when they were abysmal and has held his spot.
    Nankervis - hindsight is a wonderful thing. We got Joey Kennedy for the same reason Richmond got Nanka.- Lots ahead of him.
    Cameron- has shown at Collingwood that he was no loss.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Rohan - downhill skier. Won’t get a kick in the finals.
    Mitchell - looking slow and ineffective in a weak team. Further from a flag than when he left to chase money.
    Jones - still the turnover king. In two close games this year I have seen him butcher the ball in the dying seconds to lose the game.
    Aliir - playing ok but can he keep it up and keep his nose clean off field. (Allowed us to get Hickey who is more important to us)
    Membrey - probably still not quite real AFL standard but got a game for saints when they were abysmal and has held his spot.
    Nankervis - hindsight is a wonderful thing. We got Joey Kennedy for the same reason Richmond got Nanka.- Lots ahead of him.
    Cameron- has shown at Collingwood that he was no loss.
    Harsh but reasonably fair. Disagree about Membrey- accomplished AFL player.