Page 33 of 529 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Pandemic hit to AFL revenue led to cut to salary cap. Were the Swans expected to predict that?
    No....I'd forgotten about that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Shame we mismanaged our salary cap and ruck stocks so poorly over the last few years that couldn't have both
    I totally disagree with this point of view. On the contrary, particularly with our current, ahead-of-schedule success I want to laud the exceptional work of our list managers. Kinnear Beatson is the best in the business at his role, especially since the retirement of Stephen Wells from Geelong. Kinnear Beatson has been with the Swans since 2006 and the only other team that has had the same sustained success over this period is Geelong.

Of course, with 20-20 hindsight (or perfect foresight) every club could look back and change numerous list management decisions that have been made. For example, if we had known what would happen afterwards, we would have done better not to recruit Tippett. We could have kept Mummy. We would not have picked the many draft busts we have picked and instead we would have drafted exclusively the players that turned out to be superstars. We might even have found a way to draft Hickey without giving up Aliir. Etc. etc. However, nobody has perfect foresight.

Nevertheless we have an overall brilliant record. We have played finals for almost all of Kin's 15 years at the club (and been contending for a flag for many of those years too). We attracted the biggest superstar in the game and massively increased our membership base and managed to achieve it within our salary cap and while remaining competitive. We appear to be on track to achieve a full-on rebuild in record time: we've gone from being minor premiers and grand finalists in 2016 back to the point where we are likely finalists this year and with the prospect of another grand final in the next few years within our grasp. The Hawks took 17 years to get from 1991 to 2008, the beginning of their next great era and they are the most successful club of the past 50 years. The Hawks have been less successful than us since 2016 and, despite this, still look a lot further from contending for a premiership than we do now, even thought they have the best match day coach in the business. Has any club achieved a faster rebuild than us? Has any club even come close in recent history? The best that comes to my mind is West Coast going from a flag in 2006 to another one in 2018 with a completely different team.

It's probably still a bit early to call it, but AG are you still looking enviously at any of Hawks, Cats or Saints list management? It's true, Cats are a chance of snagging a flag this year. But more likely they won't and then they will fall off a cliff. The Cats' record in finals over the past 10 years is nowhere near as good as ours. Saints at best will play finals for a few years but don't look like they will come close to a flag.

In my opinion the reasons for our success are (a) our list management; (b) our development of players; and (c) having a generally well run club (not necessarily in that order). So, congratulations to Kinnear Beatson and his team. Congratulations to all our coaching staff for their player development. And congratulations to our Board and senior management (especially Ireland and Colless).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    You have 3 fingers, Nainsmith, Hickey, and Amartey, and you want more ruckmen. Did your other fingers grow back ?
    Firstly, Amartey is more a forward than a ruckman. Chol as well is more a forward than a ruckman, and a similar size to Sinclair, who will be 32 this year and out of contract. So it's really more about getting a younger replacement tall utility at a reasonable price. It's hard to find an affordable KPP these days, and our list doesn't suit chasing a high price one just now. So I've been looking around to see who could be available as a tall depth player with upside potential, and Chol seems the best fit.

BTW, I've injected those 3 fingers with salamander stem cells and they're growing nicely in a petri dish; they should be ready for transplantation by the start of the 2022 season.

I think McLean is looking like the Sam Reid replacement. (Tall forward who can ruck a bit)

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I think McLean is looking like the Sam Reid replacement. (Tall forward who can ruck a bit)
    No way. He is not prone enough to being injured.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Shame we mismanaged our salary cap and ruck stocks so poorly over the last few years that couldn't have both
    Pandemic hit to AFL revenue led to cut to salary cap. Were the Swans expected to predict that?
    Silly combative comment Meg - caj23 clearly said "last few years" which would predate the pandemic a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Tired of ruckmen, tired of life.
    Amen to that.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Silly combative comment Meg - caj23 clearly said "last few years" which would predate the pandemic a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Amen to that.

- - - Updated - - -

Amen to that.
    I responded to a comment by stevoswan about loss of Aliir. Which happened end last season after pandemic and subsequent salary cap cut announcement.

"hay-SOOS". how did i get dragged into this BS ? I havent been keen to argue our trajectory of late because for me its much more 50/50. So let's enjoy it despite my grumbles pre the draft.

geeeese........i dont pour lemon juice in my eyes for kicks

I savour the joy of life and the wins too

I rarely kick players when they are down...........and I enjoy watching players nurture their skills and game craft bit by bit over time.......im patient with that pathway

BUT........Yes I was frustrated............frustrated that we were not more pointed with our allocation of sal cap.........I felt the likes of Thurlow, Gray, Brand, Taylor, Menzel, Clarke etc were an opportunity cost vs say two smart picks that cost a little more but we out bid the clubs they were at due to opportunity or the cycle that club was in........ie the money on the above 6 players could have gone to two or three stronger players. Not elite but players like a Nathan Broad at the Tigers or a Jack Ross at the Tigers who may feature now and beyond.

For me it is not conclusive yet that our top picks Errol, Campbell, Gould and Stephens will be game winners on a consistent basis vs other young talent in the competition.............but I like the way they are going about their development and I really enjoyed the style of footy we adopted in the first few games.

And that win against the Cats ........that controlled the game statistically everywhere but the scoreboard............well that was an outlier.............but as Bruce saids "that was special"
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    "hay-SOOS". how did i get dragged into this BS ? I havent been keen to argue our trajectory of late because for me its much more 50/50. So let's enjoy it despite my grumbles pre the draft.

geeeese........i dont pour lemon juice in my eyes for kicks

I savour the joy of life and the wins too

I rarely kick players when they are down...........and I enjoy watching players nurture their skills and game craft bit by bit over time.......im patient with that pathway

BUT........Yes I was frustrated............frustrated that we were not more pointed with our allocation of sal cap.........I felt the likes of Thurlow, Gray, Brand, Taylor, Menzel, Clarke etc were an opportunity cost vs say two smart picks that cost a little more but we out bid the clubs they were at due to opportunity or the cycle that club was in........ie the money on the above 6 players could have gone to two or three stronger players. Not elite but players like a Nathan Broad at the Tigers or a Jack Ross at the Tigers who may feature now and beyond.

For me it is not conclusive yet that our top picks Errol, Campbell, Gould and Stephens will be game winners on a consistent basis vs other young talent in the competition.............but I like the way they are going about their development and I really enjoyed the style of footy we adopted in the first few games.

And that win against the Cats ........that controlled the game statistically everywhere but the scoreboard............well that was an outlier.............but as Bruce saids "that was special"
    Sorry but Errol gulden will be a matchwinner. He has elite written all over him.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I responded to a comment by stevoswan about loss of Aliir. Which happened end last season after pandemic and subsequent salary cap cut announcement.
    My error - Apologies Meg
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Sorry but Errol gulden will be a matchwinner. He has elite written all over him.
    For once, I totally agree with TheBloods.

My error - Apologies Meg
    No worries.