Page 74 of 529 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    If we have to trade George becuase our salary cap is too tight ** that says two things to me:

1. We'll be hitting the draft again this year (which is fine with me), because we clearly can't afford to trade anyone in, so don't bother starting a trade thread this year; and

2. Our salary cap is still in a mess despite all of the players we have shed over the last few seasons. Whoever is in charge of it should be sacked as it's woeful mismanagement if we can't afford to pay a mid range player like Hewitt. Shedding middle aged best 22 players every season simply isn't a sustainable model for a successful football club, we will be stuck in mid table mediocrity for the forseeable future (at best).

** I don't think anyone outside of clubland would know if our cap is tight or not, my comments are based on reports that it is. I guess we'll see at the end of the season.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    The lack of respect for Hewett and what he brings to the side is breathtaking

He's not a bonafide A grade star, you can't have 22 of them, but he has great footskills, is an effective tagger, and can win his own ball as a midfielder when given the chance.

He's being completely misutilised by Longmire in the backline this season, and hasn't ever had a great run on ball without the tagging role.

He may not be a shiny new draftee, but we are a stronger team with him in the 22 than outside of it
    Whats the point if hes not in the midfield though

Even if he was theres nothing unique about him and if i had to choose between him and RB as a tagger i would take RB

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Whats the point if hes not in the midfield though

Even if he was theres nothing unique about him and if i had to choose between him and RB as a tagger i would take RB
    He should be in the midfield rotation

He’s a far superior tagger to RB, have you forgotten his job on Dusty earlier in the season?

I like RB but he’s not a tagger and was given a bath by Mitchell in that role last week

Suspended by the MRP

He’s a far superior tagger to RB, have you forgotten his job on Dusty earlier in the season?

I like RB but he’s not a tagger and was given a bath by Mitchell in that role last week
    Superior but not by much, hes 25, Rowbottom is 20 , go with the youth and long term option

And wouldnt say RB was given a bath Mitchell had 21 touches to half time then Rowbottom went on him and he had 13 for the second half

I don't see why the confusion over Hewett. We effectively swapped Hewett and Mills. It was a benefit to our midfield, but not for our defense.We still need to keep the speed on the outside. Hewett is best 22, but it's hard to find a position that suits him in the current setup and meets the broader requirements of the team overall.

It's not unusual to find good players without a spot in the side for a lot of teams. It often happens that good players get left out for a while for the sake of team balance. It's not a poor reflection of Hewett as a player. It's just circumstantial.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't see why the confusion over Hewett. We effectively swapped Hewett and Mills. It was a benefit to our midfield, but not for our defense.We still need to keep the speed on the outside. Hewett is best 22, but it's hard to find a position that suits him in the current setup and meets the broader requirements of the team overall.

It's not unusual to find good players without a spot in the side for a lot of teams. It often happens that good players get left out for a while for the sake of team balance. It's not a poor reflection of Hewett as a player. It's just circumstantial.
    They could look to play Hewett in the forward line. That's where he started out, playing a role not that different to Wicks's role this season. Given Wicks is out this weekend, he's as good a replacement as any.

Or play him in the middle - where he's proven to be a good ball winner as well as a good defensive player - and move Parker forward (more, maybe not entirely). Parker's had a couple of very good games this year but hasn't been consistent, which makes me wonder if he's carrying some injury that's affecting his ability to get to as many contests as we need our midfielders to get to.

It was very obvious watching at the ground against the Hawks just how little run the Swans had in their legs. There were far more Hawks at every contest, and when they won the ball, they spread more effectively too. Maybe it was just the cumulative effect of two six days breaks against a much fresher team, but I think there were signs of a lack of run during parts of the St Kilda and Carlton games too.

If reports are correct that we have 22 players out of contract then it is near impossible that we have salary cap problems. It just means we have a lot of list management decisons - spend our money on retaining the current list or use it elsewhere. From the list I have found on footywire, most of the players out of contract would not be demanding huge money. here are some of my thoughts:

1. Luke Parker - Is still a gun but his big contract deals are behind him. Same or less money for 3 years.
    2. Jordan Dawson - number 1 priority. The only one on this list that would be demanding a big pay rise.
    3. George Hewitt - Is currently being overpaid given that he has been classified as a restricted free agent. He's not in the top 10 players at the club and so will be offered less money to stay. I hope he does.
    4. Sam Reid - Big contract finishes and may be on 1 year contracts on much less money from now on.
    5. Hayden McLean, Joel Amartey, Sam Wicks - will demand a pay rise but not anything crazy. They'd all still be paid below AFL average.
    6. Dylan Stephens - Tricky one. Hasn't progressed this year. Likely to stay on a bit more money for 2 years.
    7. Cal Sinclair - Offered 1 year contracts to provide depth and mentoring to young talls. Pay him like GWS will do with Mummy as a playing ruck coach on near minimum wage.
    8. Will Gould - Worth persisting for another year or two but not breaking the bank.
    9. Unless I've missed someone, the rest are either keep for depth on low wages or delist. These players include Ling, Gray, Clarke, Ronke, O'Riordan

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    They could look to play Hewett in the forward line. That's where he started out, playing a role not that different to Wicks's role this season. Given Wicks is out this weekend, he's as good a replacement as any.

Or play him in the middle - where he's proven to be a good ball winner as well as a good defensive player - and move Parker forward (more, maybe not entirely). Parker's had a couple of very good games this year but hasn't been consistent, which makes me wonder if he's carrying some injury that's affecting his ability to get to as many contests as we need our midfielders to get to.

It was very obvious watching at the ground against the Hawks just how little run the Swans had in their legs. There were far more Hawks at every contest, and when they won the ball, they spread more effectively too. Maybe it was just the cumulative effect of two six days breaks against a much fresher team, but I think there were signs of a lack of run during parts of the St Kilda and Carlton games too.
    Agree with this change this week - Hewett for Wicks and Hewett and Parker to swap between midfield and forward line

Wicks needs to regain a little bit of form as well, a quick spell in the 2s could help
    Last edited by longmile; 23rd June 2021 at 05:23 PM.

Surely Gulden comes back this week if fit? In place of Wicks.

If Heeney and Hayward were fitter they could rotate with Parker, Kennedy etc to make our midfield more dynamic

I don’t see why the rotation couldn’t include one player on the HBF to
    Include Llloouyddd, Ollie, Dawson, George, Campbell etc

Still think this year has been planned as a year of “development” so happy to experiment with players in new roles.

Very exited to see if Blakey can make it as a line breaker off the HBF

Reported tonight Gold Coast are willing to trade their first pick for experienced quality players, particularly key forward. They have enough young talent on their list and want to take different tact. Sam Weideman (Melb) who will be out of contract was mentioned as a possibility (but not worth their first pick surely).

From our list, Sam Reid and George Hewett could raise their interest coming out of contract as FA's, but draw 3rd/2nd round compo picks respectively at best you'd think (I hope they both remain tbh). If Amartey finishes season well he might also draw their interest for more $$$$ we're willing to offer, forcing us to accept one of their back end picks. Jordan Dawson & Parker (another FA) could also be on their radar, but I doubt they'd be interested as hoping our trajectory will make them wanting to stay.
    Last edited by KSAS; 24th June 2021 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Surely Gulden comes back this week if fit? In place of Wicks.

If Heeney and Hayward were fitter they could rotate with Parker, Kennedy etc to make our midfield more dynamic

I don’t see why the rotation couldn’t include one player on the HBF to
    Include Llloouyddd, Ollie, Dawson, George, Campbell etc

Still think this year has been planned as a year of “development” so happy to experiment with players in new roles.

Very exited to see if Blakey can make it as a line breaker off the HBF
    I think Horse probably wants Braeden Campbell to be the line breaker and the kicker off the half back to create the chaos and some precision forward entries. Not sure if Blakey has the same defensive instinct to play down back. Campbell was doing well in the half back before being injured. But come crunch time he probably will get monstered by some seasoned campaigners so not sure that he will be able to replace Hewett easily. It’s going to be Horses for courses I reckon.
    We need to look at our defensive unit and draft/trade this year to create one that will last while our midfield peaks.
    We are a work in progress and some players development hasn’t happened at a pace that we like but hopefully Gould/Blakey/Stephens start showing some much needed improvement.

Veterans List

It's called plugging holes. I have always said he is a tagger only. I recall in one of Paul Roos's books that he said you have to play to your strengths.