Page 71 of 529 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Let’s not forget Ryan Griffen

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Caused quite a stir when Colbert left for North, don't remember him doing much there, but it is a long time ago and my memory is not the best!
    I was told by someone I knew reasonably well at the time and I considered to be reliable that he was screwed over financially by Geelong - they owed him money that they were being slow in paying. She claimed to be his cousin and, again, I considered her reliable so have no reason to doubt her on this.

The latest Road to the Draft podcast is about the current trade landscape and has a lot of interesting content.

Trade edition Road to the Draft podcast: Where will prized Docker Adam Cerra end up? Who are the ruckmen on the move?

I will just highlight a few of things discussed:
    1. I didn't realise how much George Hewett was shopped around last year. And it sounds like the Swans will want to get him off the list this year if they can. As a RFA, George is in the top 10 players in compensation, which indicates just how tight our salary cap must be. The Swans have too many inside mids and even though I think George in our best 22, we need to make a choice between some established players and giving valuable playing time to our up and coming young players.
    2. There is a lot of discussion around CCM and Mabior Chol, with the feeling being that Chol is the one most likely to leave Richmond.
    3. It was also mentioned that we really wanted to get either Ladhams or Hayes in return for Aliir in the trade with PA. We couldn't afford to keep Aliir and bring in another ruckman, who ended up being Hickey. I think we all knew that here, but I didn't realise that it was widely known to those in the media.

Some players, like Sam Reid, might have to take a significant pay cut to be retained for next year. The Swans have 22 unsigned players, the most in the league, so priorities will have to be set.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Some players, like Sam Reid, might have to take a significant pay cut to be retained for next year. The Swans have 22 unsigned players, the most in the league, so priorities will have to be set.
    An interesting listen. I only consider 3 of those unsigned 22 as 'definitely must keep'. Parker, Dawson & McCartin. I imagine we will keep the bulk of the reminder, but need not break the bank to do it. So we have an opportunity to get our salary cap back under control.

I think McCartin has already recommitted. Does anyone know Ollie's contract status?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    So using this as a basis (and happy to be corrected if they have something wrong), suspect our approach on out of contracts should be something like: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/to-sydney-swans

Definitely Keep At All Costs: Parker, Dawson
    Ideally Want To Keep As Young and Won't Cost a Bucket: Wicks, Amartey, Stephens, McLean.
    Prefer to Keep, at right price: Hewett, Reid, Brand (and maybe Sinclair if his body can do it as insurance and nothing else achieved in trade period)
    Form/attitude/growth between now and end of year may decide: Bell, Ling, O'Riordan, Fox, Gould.
    Definitely see ya later: Clarke, Gray.
    No clue as no insights: Carruthers.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I think McCartin has already recommitted. Does anyone know Ollie's contract status?
    Florent is out of contract at the end of next year.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Florent is out of contract at the end of next year.
    Good player but needs to show more other wise i would trade him for the right price

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Good player but needs to show more other wise i would trade him for the right price
    I think he's building nicely. His trajectory hasn't been outstanding, but he's becoming an important part of our midfield. From what I've noticed, he's been positioned behind the ball a bit. Could be wrong though.

I think it's going to be a very interesting trade period for us. We have a tight cap, many players to re-sign yet significant holes in our roster. So how do we manage to keep who we want yet fill holes in defence and the ruck but still stay under. Could it be that we do have to shed an important player or two, whether they are off contract or not. Are Stephens, Gould and Blakey happy to be fringe players for us (they may slide even further down the chain with Errol and Campbell to return)? Could we match big money offers for Dawson and Parker? And what about George? Surely playing in defence is not his first preference and he may struggle to keep his position as the year progresses. I'd love to keep all of the above mentioned but I feel that something has to give.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    So using this as a basis (and happy to be corrected if they have something wrong), suspect our approach on out of contracts should be something like: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/to-sydney-swans

Definitely Keep At All Costs: Parker, Dawson
    Ideally Want To Keep As Young and Won't Cost a Bucket: Wicks, Amartey, Stephens, McLean.
    Prefer to Keep, at right price: Hewett, Reid, Brand (and maybe Sinclair if his body can do it as insurance and nothing else achieved in trade period)
    Form/attitude/growth between now and end of year may decide: Bell, Ling, O'Riordan, Fox, Gould.
    Definitely see ya later: Clarke, Gray.
    No clue as no insights: Carruthers.
    Thx for keeping us 'informed' on this. Not sure if we can take the risk with Reid anymore. Reckon Bell is still developing and would not cost a lot. Sinclair may survive again due to scarce ruck stocks. I would like to keep Hewett. Ling and Gould under the pump..Guess salary cap issues make it difficult to have any real certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Ollie has been more consistent this year and has great elusive skills. In our best 22 for sure and a definite must keep at this stage. Also think there is still a lot of upside with Ollie: needs work on his distribution but goal kicking is elite.