Page 40 of 529 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    That would be fair value but it's not what we need. I'd possibly prefer to keep Dawson, who's just coming into his prime. But I don't think you're being serious? Wouldn't suit Adelaide either. They have much more use for a high pick given they're further from contending.
    Anyone suggesting we trade Dawson is not being serious

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Anyone suggesting we trade Dawson is not being serious
    +1 We've developed JD over a number of years. He's top 22, no question, has a sublime left foot, takes wonderful marks, should be taking all of our kick ins, and still a young player. You would think we'd want to retain him.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Who said these three are all essential.

For all we know the Swans might have an academy intake coming up with 5 projected top 10 draft picks.

They might be happy to do deals for draft points because they can see what’s coming through in the future.
    No highly rated academy picks next draft

Nor would you trade a 2nd year top 5 pick for points in any event

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Who said these three are all essential.

For all we know the Swans might have an academy intake coming up with 5 projected top 10 draft picks.

They might be happy to do deals for draft points because they can see what’s coming through in the future.
    The Swans came into a rebuild stage which they accelerated by trading out some older players, then going to the draft to restock the list.

Now that stage is complete and we are developing those players taken in recent drafts. We don't want nor need to return to the draft to add to our list in excess of utilising our regular draft picks. But what we do require is the retention of those quality players presently on our list. We don't want to stay at the early development stage of the cycle, but rather start our push for another premiership.

Losing top young guys coming into their prime in return for draft picks is the game that Gold Coast and GWS have been playing due to their inability to hang onto talent. Surely we don't want that to be us?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Losing top young guys coming into their prime in return for draft picks is the game that Gold Coast and GWS have been playing due to their inability to hang onto talent. Surely we don't want that to be us?
    Some of the mediocrity we re-sign without them proving themselves yet we let a proven jet like Dawson wait til the final year of his contract before we even start talks ! Seriously i have to wonder

Some of the mediocrity we re-sign without them proving themselves yet we let a proven jet like Dawson wait til the final year of his contract before we even start talks ! Seriously i have to wonder
    It appears as though Dawson hasn't opened up discussions and is waiting until mid year. It's a smart move by him as he's backed himself to be more valuable as an asset and get more $$.
    Players like Hayward and Blakey who signed on longer deals earlier would have sacrificed some potential $ to secure a longer deal.
    We can assume our list management are capable at their roles.

Veterans List
    Clubs can't force players to sign or even to talk about contracts.....that's up to the player and their management....and it's pretty obvious why managers string things out, considering they are on a percentage.....which brings me to this question.

Why are you so constantly angry at our footy club.....angry with certain players, angry at management, angry with selectors/coaches? Just always angry in some form or another.....and of course, angry with some posters on RWO. Our club is having it's best season in a while and is on an upwards trajectory with it's premiership window opening wide.....but you? Angry, angry, angry.

You should be a happy Swans fan but you're not. What's that all about?

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Clubs can't force players to sign or even to talk about contracts.....that's up to the player and their management....and it's pretty obvious why managers string things out, considering they are on a percentage.....which brings me to this question.

Why are you so constantly angry at our footy club.....angry with certain players, angry at management, angry with selectors/coaches? Just always angry in some form or another.....and of course, angry with some posters on RWO. Our club is having it's best season in a while and is on an upwards trajectory with it's premiership window opening wide.....but you? Angry, angry, angry.

I have said it before. I don't know why anyone reads his stuff let alone respond to it. He only writes things to get a reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    It appears as though Dawson hasn't opened up discussions and is waiting until mid year. It's a smart move by him as he's backed himself to be more valuable as an asset and get more $$.
    Players like Hayward and Blakey who signed on longer deals earlier would have sacrificed some potential $ to secure a longer deal.
    We can assume our list management are capable at their roles.
    That's pretty much it. In a profession with a finite career, clever players ultimately will take steps to maximise their returns, and holding off on contract terms in that sense is perfectly logical from his perspective. Given how small the player agent fraternity is as well (in terms of how many player agents represent a lot of players), they have a good understanding these days of 'market value', and while players at times will trade some of that away (such as the scenario you suggested, or the cases where players give up $ to try and maximise 'on field' returns at successful clubs), invariably most will seek to maximise the monetary returns while they can.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    That's pretty much it. In a profession with a finite career, clever players ultimately will take steps to maximise their returns, and holding off on contract terms in that sense is perfectly logical from his perspective. Given how small the player agent fraternity is as well (in terms of how many player agents represent a lot of players), they have a good understanding these days of 'market value', and while players at times will trade some of that away (such as the scenario you suggested, or the cases where players give up $ to try and maximise 'on field' returns at successful clubs), invariably most will seek to maximise the monetary returns while they can.
    Yes, and would imagine that Dawson has more market value now, than what we're currently paying him, as it's probably a contract that was signed when he was a promising fringe player. And I expect that we'll soon hear rumours, connecting him with Port or Adelaide. Which will almost certainly be started by his agent, regardless of whether they've shown any genuine interest or not. Much in the same way that we're linked with a wide range of free agents: which we invariably don't sign.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post

Im not above self improvement and i can take criticism. I am a no frills person and i dont take nonsense and i dont mince my words , i say what i am feeling and it is not meant to cause offense but apparently it does. Im going to have to rethink my wording because all it does is get me in trouble over statements that appear to be more inflammatory than intended !

I am a apretty chuffed swans fan these days , its not lost on me that we are a game clear in the eight ! If i am "angry" with our management or Longmire or Blakey or Rowbottom or Melican or anyone its because i want this club to be successful and i want every one of them to get the best out of themselves ! Maybe i get too frustrated if i think that isnt happening with those people and go off on tangents , maybe thats where instead of accusing me of being a hater and making ridiculous innuendos about personal vendettas i have against players you could just tell me what you disagree with me on and we can have a yarn about it like civil people ! E g. Bangalore and i dont agree on Rowbottom but rather than pass judgment on me for my opinion of him they respectfully disagree and we get on with it and exchange views on things we agree or dont agree on ! Try it you might just realise im not all that bad ! In return i will do my best to be less Angry