Thread: Vale Fred Cook

Vale Fred Cook

For those of us who followed VFA footy in the halycon days of the 70's, this is very sad news indeed. Most South supporters allso followed neighbouring Port Melbourne like myself. Fred Cook was the biggest draw card in the VFA.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports...cebba61eca087b

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    For those of us who followed VFA footy in the halycon days of the 70's, this is very sad news indeed. Most South supporters allso followed neighbouring Port Melbourne like myself. Fred Cook was the biggest draw card in the VFA.

AFL news 2022: Fred Cook dead, VFL VFA goals stats, age, book, drugs, tributes, jail time | news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site
    Yep, I'm with you KSAS! South Melbourne on Saturdays and Port Melbourne on Sundays. Very sad to hear about Freddie - he was a VFA legend when the VFA was huge.

Veterans List
    He sold tickets alright.....because VFA fans loved the biff and Fred was front and centre of most brawls that occurred in Port matches.....but also because he was a fine player. One of the finest to never play VFL/AFL.

I remember being at a game between Port and Dandenong at Dandy and there was one of the biggest brawls ever..... IIRC, I think it started when Fred got king hit behind the play and then it was 'on'! It was downright scary stuff.

Vale Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    He sold tickets alright.....because VFA fans loved the biff and Fred was front and centre of most brawls that occurred in Port matches.....but also because he was a fine player. One of the finest to never play VFL/AFL.

I remember being at a game between Port and Dandenong at Dandy and there was one of the biggest brawls ever..... IIRC, I think it started when Fred got king hit behind the play and then it was 'on'! It was downright scary stuff.

Vale Fred.
    He did play VFL.

Sadly, Fred lost most of his wealth through drug addiction and spent his latter years in poor health in a nursing home. He was a larger than life character at his prime and prolific goalkicker. He was a popular speaker at sports nights. Let's try to remember him that way.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Sadly, Fred lost most of his wealth through drug addiction and spent his latter years in poor health in a nursing home. He was a larger than life character at his prime and prolific goalkicker. He was a popular speaker at sports nights. Let's try to remember him that way.
    I thought we were.....

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    He did play VFL.
    Yes, my research has him playing 33 games for Footscray before his VFA career started with Yarraville. I must have missed that in my juvenile years!