Page 113 of 529 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,345 to 1,356 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Happy and I know it
    I doubt Parker will leave Sydney. He and his fiancee have just committed to their next home building project (for profit) in Sydney.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

The media commentators are all mostly speculating. I think the evidence for us having a salary cap squeeze is:

a) we have numerous unsigned players, including big names, and that suggests we are struggling to make suitable offers to them

b) possible leaks from player agents who are seeking to boost their players' contracts.

These are useful bases for speculation but it is not more than that.

Also, the comment about a better pool of free agents next year seems dumb to me - surely that's just because they haven't been re-signed yet? By this time next year the pool will likely have shrunk to a similar size.

I am firmly in the retain Parker camp. If we had to lose him we would manage but we shouldn't lose him and I don't think we will. It's very much in both ours and his interests that he be extended and I think ultimately that's what will happen. The club are probably saying something like this is the most we can offer you now but we will look at it further once we know the TPP figures for next year. It's only if we insult him by not even making a respectable effort to get close to his market worth that he will look at leaving.

Incidentally, I wouldn't be confident of Parker getting a first round FA compo pick despite his worth. The age of the traded player is one of the factors weighed by the AFL when determining compo and Parker will be 29 in October.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    if we lose Parker or Dawson you have to wonder wtf the people in charge of our list management are doing
    It's not going to happen TB.....it just isn't.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Something on the AFL website about the Pies being interested in Stephens
    Swap for Lynch?

Veterans List
    Losing Parker or Dawson would make losing Allir look bearable. Staggering we could get to this situation.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The news reported about Dawson has been that the Crows have been chasing him hard but I wouldn't be surprised if Port have the wherewithal to offer him a sizable deal too. They were chasing Zach Merrett until he re-signed with Essendon on a massive contract and so they must have the money in stock.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Swap for Lynch?
    They certainly don't have picks to swap.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The news reported about Dawson has been that the Crows have been chasing him hard but I wouldn't be surprised if Port have the wherewithal to offer him a sizable deal too. They were chasing Zach Merrett until he re-signed with Essendon on a massive contract and so they must have the money in stock.
    Callum Twomey on AFL website has Dawson staying at Swans on a 2 year deal. He is often on the money and is measured in his reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Callum Twomey on AFL website has Dawson staying at Swans on a 2 year deal. He is often on the money and is measured in his reporting.
    Is that from the video clip posted today in conversation with Mitch Cleary? I don’t know if he had any insight into what Dawson would do, just what he thought would be the most likely outcome in a “wait and see” proposition. He could be right though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    For the record I don’t want to see Dawson, Parker, Hewitt or Stephens leave. Unfortunately salary caps force most clubs hands. There are choices to made due to financial constraints. We are simply debating these choices.

I also feel there is a moral obligation from all players in the AFL to each get the best financial deal they can.

I wonder why fans are so selfish to expect players to take financial deals that are far less than what they are worth on the open market so they can maintain a position at the fans club. Fans don’t do the hard training, fans don’t do the hours of physio, fans don’t face the scrutiny and the fans are not walking with pain when they are retired. Players have limited years to earn on field money from playing football. These years need to be maximised. They have children and partners to support. These players are also years behind in their career progression compared to their mates at school. Many players have to start a new career from scratch while their mates from school have already had 8-10 years in the system to advance their careers.

Fans should be happy for players to move on if the result of them moving on is better future prospects and prosperity.
    I agree I don't want to lose key players, but realistically Parker is 28/29, we offer what we believe he is worth and if somebody offers him a godfather offer then it's a decision he will make.

Look at Carlton, paid overs for Judd and got 145 games out of him and lost Josh Kennedy who has played 240 odd games for West Coast...

We can't over pay for aging stars at the expense of our your stars.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

I vaguely recall Reid is on 500k + a year. I like Sam but for the money, is not on the park enough. Amartey and McLean are both on the rise and McDonald looks like a winner. If we need to free up cap space to retain the likes of Parker, Dawson and Hewett, Reid would be an obvious target.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I vaguely recall Reid is on 500k + a year. I like Sam but for the money, is not on the park enough. Amartey and McLean are both on the rise and McDonald looks like a winner. If we need to free up cap space to retain the likes of Parker, Dawson and Hewett, Reid would be an obvious target.
    Agreed. Sam is a great player when on song but too often injured and misses quite a few relatively easy shots for goal too often. If it meant being able to keep both parker and Dawson I would have faith in Amartey filling his role and not losing too much.