Page 292 of 529 FirstFirst ... 192242282288289290291292293294295296302342392 ... LastLast
Results 3,493 to 3,504 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Completely agree Auntie. Melbourne have May and Lever who are both excellent and their other defenders can apply the pressure too when needed. They didn’t preform in the 2 nd quarter of the GF, but were well on top the rest of the game as shown by the doggies goals: only 1 from Naughton, the rest from Bont and Treloar.

The no brainer for us is drafting Paddy- can’t see what we have to lose and everything to gain. I would still retain Sammy, even if he plays only half a season as he can also play down back as needed.

The other area we need to improve to be top 4 is centre clearances. Our defence was under enormous pressure at times due to the opposition getting their hands on the ball first, time and time again. The coaches need to resolve this weakness. The GF turned in the 3rd quarter when the Dees got on top against an elite midfield- amazing how the tide turned in about 8 minutes! It was great to watch! I almost felt sorry for the Fairypups…… well not really!
    Largely agree with both of you AG and RR about how we compare to Melbourne. May has Naughton's measure, even playing on one leg. It is worth remembering that he's only 21.

We are one KPD short. I don't understand if Paddy is in serious consideration or not. I guess we'll know soon enough. If we draft someone, its unlikely they'll be ready to play for a while. Talia is out there too as a stopgap.

There is a lot of understandable sadness about the impending loss of George, but I think losing him (and the impending retirement of JPK) will help address our lack of speed at centre bounces. I'm still not convinced we have the right mix yet, but that missing ingredient could be the Chad, or Heeney, or JMac, or even someone like Campbell. And if we end up with a top ten draft pick, we may consider drafting another elite junior mid too.

6-6-6 makes it very hard to defend goals straight from the middle as the Dogs found out at the end of the 3rd quarter.

We also, obviously have to plan for the end of Buddy. It's too early to tell is young McDonald is the answer.

Veterans List
    What got me about the Bulldogs in that 3rd quarter is that it seemed the Builldogs coaches didn't change their mix at centre bounces and that the competitive edge dropped of with their mids. I don't think that would have happened with us.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    What got me about the Bulldogs in that 3rd quarter is that it seemed the Builldogs coaches didn't change their mix at centre bounces and that the competitive edge dropped of with their mids. I don't think that would have happened with us.
    Not that all ex footballers automatically become expert pundits but Nathan Brown highlighted how the Flogs had failed to put a sweeper style mid in at the centre bounces to nullify the excellent tap work that the Demons were producing and as a result they were simply waltzing straight through the centre almost untouched. It was pretty obvious upon review but the fact that the 2016 flag thieves coaching panel didn’t address it was bizarre and was probably the turning point of the game.
    3 goals in under a minute is something that until before Saturday if you were told was going to happen you would laugh and dismiss as a desperate pipe dream.

Bevo is a very hit and miss coach tactically. His occasionally good moves are compounded by many stupid ones.

Regular in the Side
    should we consider looking at Charlie Constable of Cats. he is stagnating at Cats much like Josh K did at Hawksa. Constable is 22, 192cm and 86kg. Could be replacement for Josh if given an opportunity.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    should we consider looking at Charlie Constable of Cats. he is stagnating at Cats much like Josh K did at Hawksa. Constable is 22, 192cm and 86kg. Could be replacement for Josh if given an opportunity.
    Dont need him , Mills will replace Kennedy

Regular in the Side
    mills not the "bull" we also need.

I don't think so, for the reasons I outlined above. I don't think we are looking for another JPK, or another George Hewett. We still have Mills and Parker in that mould. I think we have been trying for a number of years to bring faster, more explosive players through there and will continue to do so. Everyone has high hopes for the Chad, Campbell etc.

Veterans List
    I feel one of the reasons why we let Hewett go is due to his lack of pace. A good tagger and defensive midfielder, but does not have that burst element to his game. Our game style changed because we added speed to our team, and it appears to me that is the direction we are still heading.

It defeats the whole purpose of letting go of Hewett. Charlie Constable is big, but not quick, and we want to be a team that moves the ball quickly. Inside mids come in all shapes and sizes. It's hard to pick a good one based solely on body size. It's more of a craft than simply a battle of strength.

Essendon were the best Centre Clearance team this year, and did it with small midfielders, except for Stringer.

Regular in the Side
    could not mills be our oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I feel one of the reasons why we let Hewett go is due to his lack of pace. A good tagger and defensive midfielder, but does not have that burst element to his game. Our game style changed because we added speed to our team, and it appears to me that is the direction we are still heading.
    that and his lack of penetration in his kicking