Page 293 of 529 FirstFirst ... 193243283289290291292293294295296297303343393 ... LastLast
Results 3,505 to 3,516 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I’m not against getting Constable one thing he has is height . Most sides have quite a few tall midfielders. Worth a punt we could have done with a tall big bodied midfielder in the losing final with Kennedy and Mills out .
    You need two tall midfielders to run through . Kennedy is getting on and Father Time might catch him very quickly .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking about the price for JD, the talk is that Cerra will go for pick 6 and another pick. Even Clark who isn’t getting a game they are talking a pick in the early 20s.

No way does pick 23 get it done for JD.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    mills not the "bull" we also need.
    How do you figure that ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    How do you figure that ?
    Think that might have been a badly punctuated question rather than a statement

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    could not mills be our oliver.
    I'd argue he showed in one season he is.

If you look at our midfield vs Melbourne, we don't stack up too badly on potential but a way to go on performance. I'll leave Kennedy out of this, because despite being the greatest contested/clearance player of the 2010s, it's about looking ahead.

You'd say:

Mills = Oliver
    Parker > Viney
    Rowbottom could develop into a Harmes-level/type player
    McInerney will equal and probably surpass Langdon.
    Campbell *could* be Salem level, and who knows, better
    Chad's got the explosive potential to be an inferior Petracca - which is still an awesome player, so please don't start an argument there or take it as an insult.
    A fit Heeney > Brayshaw
    Gulden will be a better high half forward/mid than anyone Melbourne has, though they have very good role players like Neal-Bullen and Sparrow.
    Then you have Stephens and Florent vs Rivers and Jordan. Melbourne wins that on performance to date.

Now, as I said, that's an attempted mix of current performance and projected potential, and it'll be performance that pays. Where we are weak is ruck. Amarty is a poor man's Jackson, and no offence to Hick, but he ain't no Max Gawn.

That is also a long way of also getting to: let's go get KPPs.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    could not mills be our oliver.
    Please sir, I want some more.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

If you look at our midfield vs Melbourne, we don't stack up too badly on potential but a way to go on performance. I'll leave Kennedy out of this, because despite being the greatest contested/clearance player of the 2010s, it's about looking ahead.

You'd say:

Mills = Oliver
    Parker > Viney
    Chad's got the explosive potential to be an inferior Petracca - which is still an awesome player, so please don't start an argument there or take it as an insult.
    A fit Heeney > Brayshaw
    Gulden will be a better high half forward/mid than anyone Melbourne has, though they have very good role players like Neal-Bullen and Sparrow.
    Then you have Stephens and Florent vs Rivers and Jordan. Melbourne wins that on performance to date.

Now, as I said, that's an attempted mix of current performance and projected potential, and it'll be performance that pays. Where we are weak is ruck. Amarty is a poor man's Jackson, and no offence to Hick, but he ain't no Max Gawn.

Agree about defence, and the two rucks, but I think the offensive capability of Melbourne's forward line is not all that (they play three small pressure forwards). Buddy, Heeney and Paps are a match for what Melbourne's got.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Agree about defence, and the two rucks, but I think the offensive capability of Melbourne's forward line is not all that (they play three small pressure forwards). Buddy, Heeney and Paps are a match for what Melbourne's got.
    Forward line is interesting. Buddy is well ahead, but we've only got him for one more season (maybe).

You could then argue, if Heeney is forward, he's equal to Fritsch (though that was one hell of a GF) as just a forward, but with broader range up field. If Heeney is more mid, Hayward is a poor man's Fritsch.

Papley beats their small forwards.

Amarty is a poor man's Jackson as second ruck/fwd, and McLean is a poor man's Brown.

McDonald, ours, has potential to be far better than their McDonald, but a long way to go.

Wicks and Spargo on par for now.

Again, back to same conclusion: more KPP talent please.

EDIT AND PS: For those who have seen Sheather, what's he project as?
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

You'd say:

Mills = Oliver
    Parker > Viney
    A fit Heeney > Brayshaw

Who cares what melbourne did

Their midfield is very different to richmond who won the 3 flags before it and you can bet the next team to win a flag will have a different set up entirely No one beats the reigning premiers at their own game , they always beat them with a game of their own that the reigning premiers aren't prepared for ! . There is no right way to have a midfield . We need to shape the midfield around the weapons we have . They will be :

Mills, Chad, Jmac, Gulden, Florent, Campbell , Stephens ???

For the sake of this im not including Parker because by the time all of the above are in the mids he 'll be in his 30s and probably playing more fwd or wing .

Mills should be inside , the one at the coalface and the bottom of the pack winning the hard ball , doesnt need to be pretty , but hes got enormous strength , bloody brute and he is big bodied too and hard to tackle .

He will get it to the explosive two , Chad and Campbell .. these are strong boys who are built like short stocky units , (once Campbell puts some muscle on he will have a similar shape to Chad ) , these boys will be the ones we will want winning it in congestion and then breaking away from congestion with speed and power .They will be our best hopes of seeing clean centre breaks and goals on the run from those centre breaks , like we saw with Chad at the G against the Tigers .

We will then have Jmac and Gulden work from the inside to the outside to get the handball receive , they are fast with great tanks so can work their way into the clear and use the space . You watch every time one of Chad or Campbell get an inside 50 on the run , you will see one of Jmac or Gulden waiting in the wings for the handball just in case . Melbourne dont have this , they had Harmes and Brayshaw playing that role waiting on the outside to get the receive but they arent as quick or as great kicks as Chad and particularly Campbell are .

Florent and Stephens make up the depth . Ive not seen enough from Florent to say he 'll be a sure thing , and we know that Stephens isnt yet as he did little this year, but they both have the inside /outside game to suit the above set up if they can pull their fingers out .

Not being a know it all , just giving my view on what i would do with the players we have at our disposal . We 've gone to the draft how many times now and built our midfield through it , so we obviously have a plan to bring them all together and make it work . The above is just the best way i see that working , keen to hear others thoughts , not being a know it all or trying to say im right

We need to shape the midfield around the weapons we have . They will be :

Glad to see that you found a spot for ??? in our midfield. We're making progress.

Who cares what melbourne did

Their midfield is very different to richmond who won the 3 flags before it and you can bet the next team to win a flag will have a different set up entirely No one beats the reigning premiers at their own game , they always beat them with a game of their own that the reigning premiers aren't prepared for ! . There is no right way to have a midfield . We need to shape the midfield around the weapons we have . They will be :

For the sake of this im not including Parker because by the time all of the above are in the mids he 'll be in his 30s and probably playing more fwd or wing .

Mills should be inside , the one at the coalface and the bottom of the pack winning the hard ball , doesnt need to be pretty , but hes got enormous strength , bloody brute and he is big bodied too and hard to tackle .

He will get it to the explosive two , Chad and Campbell .. these are strong boys who are built like short stocky units , (once Campbell puts some muscle on he will have a similar shape to Chad ) , these boys will be the ones we will want winning it in congestion and then breaking away from congestion with speed and power .They will be our best hopes of seeing clean centre breaks and goals on the run from those centre breaks , like we saw with Chad at the G against the Tigers .

We will then have Jmac and Gulden work from the inside to the outside to get the handball receive , they are fast with great tanks so can work their way into the clear and use the space . You watch every time one of Chad or Campbell get an inside 50 on the run , you will see one of Jmac or Gulden waiting in the wings for the handball just in case . Melbourne dont have this , they had Harmes and Brayshaw playing that role waiting on the outside to get the receive but they arent as quick or as great kicks as Chad and particularly Campbell are .

Florent and Stephens make up the depth . Ive not seen enough from Florent to say he 'll be a sure thing , and we know that Stephens isnt yet as he did little this year, but they both have the inside /outside game to suit the above set up if they can pull their fingers out .

Not being a know it all , just giving my view on what i would do with the players we have at our disposal . We 've gone to the draft how many times now and built our midfield through it , so we obviously have a plan to bring them all together and make it work . The above is just the best way i see that working , keen to hear others thoughts , not being a know it all or trying to say im right
    Nice summary TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Please sir, I want some more.
    Enjoyed the Dickens reference!