Page 41 of 529 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Im not above self improvement and i can take criticism. I am a no frills person and i dont take nonsense and i dont mince my words , i say what i am feeling and it is not meant to cause offense but apparently it does. Im going to have to rethink my wording because all it does is get me in trouble over statements that appear to be more inflammatory than intended !

I am a apretty chuffed swans fan these days , its not lost on me that we are a game clear in the eight ! If i am "angry" with our management or Longmire or Blakey or Rowbottom or Melican or anyone its because i want this club to be successful and i want every one of them to get the best out of themselves ! Maybe i get too frustrated if i think that isnt happening with those people and go off on tangents , maybe thats where instead of accusing me of being a hater and making ridiculous innuendos about personal vendettas i have against players you could just tell me what you disagree with me on and we can have a yarn about it like civil people ! E g. Bangalore and i dont agree on Rowbottom but rather than pass judgment on me for my opinion of him they respectfully disagree and we get on with it and exchange views on things we agree or dont agree on ! Try it you might just realise im not all that bad ! In return i will do my best to be less Angry
    I’ve picked on you a bit in the past TB, but I appreciate your above response and am happy you have realised why you have copped the criticisms in the past. Let’s put all that behind us after all we all want the best for our beloved club and want our boys to succeed,

We have a group with great potential but there are gaps to fill- our defence needs another tall as does our forward setup. Tom Hickey is a great surprise in the ruck, but we know we can’t rely on big Sam at this stage, so another ruckman is needed. When will Amartey get a chance to show if he can fill that role?

Regarding Logan- forwards need the most time to develop and it may be 2-3 years until he can impose himself as a key forward. Until then we have Buddy and Mc lean as Reidy’s calf is a problem.

I’m hoping Paddy McCartin is picked up and play a role for us up front- is there anyone else?

RR.........McClean is certainly showing great versatility and between he and Logan, Reid, Sinkers I am guessing that the tall forward who stands in the goal posts and or a straight lead has plenty of depth now........ it maybe hard for Paddy feature in 2021?

McCartin and McCartin in the backline is seeming more likely and maybe a possibility in 2022

I have been super impressed with how composed PAddy has been in ressies in the backline and also creative before suspended
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Mid season draft will reveal all for the Swans. I’m hoping they see Paddy as the answer despite his indiscretion.

I’m also hoping we’ve made someone like CCJ an offer he can’t refuse.

With one more KPD (Paddy) and a ready to play young ruckman we’d be in a pretty strong position going into 2022.

Still need to draft some more KPFs, but the emergence of McLean is a huge bonus.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I’ve picked on you a bit in the past TB, but I appreciate your above response and am happy you have realised why you have copped the criticisms in the past. Let’s put all that behind us after all we all want the best for our beloved club and want our boys to succeed,

We have a group with great potential but there are gaps to fill- our defence needs another tall as does our forward setup. Tom Hickey is a great surprise in the ruck, but we know we can’t rely on big Sam at this stage, so another ruckman is needed. When will Amartey get a chance to show if he can fill that role?

Regarding Logan- forwards need the most time to develop and it may be 2-3 years until he can impose himself as a key forward. Until then we have Buddy and Mc lean as Reidy’s calf is a problem.

I’m hoping Paddy McCartin is picked up and play a role for us up front- is there anyone else?
    Yes we need another KD and ruck . Hickey is not young

Its easy to say P Mccartin but he is 25 of course he looks good at lower level but the huge majority of those taken in the mid season draft will end up busts , good chance that happens with Paddy .. but i spose we added him to the VFL list for a reason

On Footy Classified last night, Chad Cornes highlighted Will Hayward as a player who is starting to showcase his great talent. He showed some of Wilbur's great marks on Saturday as evidence. The thing that most impressed me about him on Saturday was that he had 7 tackles. Given his defensive efforts have been his big weakness that's a good sign. I know some on here have been highly critical of this guy but he may be turning the corner?

The Cripps clause: Should the AFL consider a loyalty bonus?

This article raises the possibility of allowing clubs to pay some stars extra money above the salary cap to retain them when larger rival offers come to poach them away. My response? Just no. Completely defeats the point of having a salary cap and managing it responsibly. We already have some built in flexibility to pay above the salary cap in certain circumstances (when you have paid under the salary cap in the preceding season) and that is enough.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    On Footy Classified last night, Chad Cornes highlighted Will Hayward as a player who is starting to showcase his great talent. He showed some of Wilbur's great marks on Saturday as evidence. The thing that most impressed me about him on Saturday was that he had 7 tackles. Given his defensive efforts have been his big weakness that's a good sign. I know some on here have been highly critical of this guy but he may be turning the corner?
    I thought it was his best effort this year. He has an exceptional standing start leap which is hard to defend and his pressure looked good. Onwards and upwards Wilbur

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post

Great post. I hope they take Paddy as well. May be a surprise performer in the spirit of Hickey and McLean.

A poster on here said that the Academy crop of 2021 is not in the class of 2020.

Would it be worth swapping our first two picks in 2021 for two future 2022 picks and loading up for the next draft? We could take the minimum two kids late in the draft. We can do this because Guldon, Campbell and McDonald are projected to be best 22 in 2022 and we can consolidate the kids we already have. The 2022 Acdamy crop may be better than the 2021 crop meaning the deferal of draft pick strategy may make sense.

I agree we need KPPs and rucks:

* I would suggest we bring in a couple of young ruck prospects - one, perhaps by trade, who's been in the system a couple of years already but who is still on the fringes and willing to be a bit patient and compete with Hickey and Sinclair for a spot, and another who is just a raw project, probably via the ND or rookie draft. This would go in tandem with retiring Sinclair (I think it's time) and probably Amartey too, and effectively replace them.

* I like the idea of Paddy, especially picking him up for a bargain price. However my suspicion is that we won't draft him at the mid-season draft, especially in light of his recent indiscretion. If I'm wrong, I will be glad because it will mean that we have quite a lot of confidence in him. I would probably be happiest if we could pick up two in the mid-season draft and Paddy could be the second one, but I don't know that we have any long term injuries (and I'm not wishing for any!) to get a second pick.

* I have already mentioned a couple of times a number of KPPs we could target by way of trade at either a medium or high price. I hesitate to mention their names again and bore you all, but I'm curious what other people think and there hasn't been much response: Harrison Petty, Aaron Francis, Jarrod Brander, Sam Weideman (in the medium price range) or Jack Lukosius in the high price range (I think someone like Harry McKay is just not going to happen). I reckon Jarrod Brander would be a great get. Brander is stuck behind JJK, Darling and Oscar Allen at West Coast (although I think he's getting some games thanks to injuries) and so feels gettable. Wouldn't be cheap or easy though. I reckon he would cost our first round draft pick (minimum) and a tidy salary.

* the development of McLean this year is fabulous! He has far surpassed my expectations! I thought his strength and running ability wouldn't be enough to compensate for his lack of skill and agility (to score goals and apply pressure) but he's proven me wrong. It's especially welcome because he will complement Logan McDonald really well as they are pretty different types. It does relieve some pressure to find KPF depth. First, McLean has significantly improved his running and fitness, which was really apparent over the pre-season when he finished surprisingly well in the time trials (compared to Amartey who was distant last, same as the previous pre-season). Second, as he has been getting more games into him, he's getting better at both his bread and butter (presenting a strong marking option) and erasing his weaknesses (applying pressure more effectively than previously). The fact that he isn't rucking doesn't appear to matter now. And he is a big unit. I remember seeing him in one of pre-season intraclub matches brushing Will Gould off and I was struck the noticeable size difference, and Will Gould is himself a pretty significant unit. Finally, ever since McLean's first game I have been impressed by his character. If I recall correctly, he was picked for his first (or one of his first) game(s) when we had no ruck stocks and he had to ruck against NicNat or Sandilands and he really competed well, had a great appetite for the challenge and didn't back down. This impression is also affirmed by the fact that he was captain for the Sandringham Dragons and vice-captain for Vic Metro in his draft year.

I am undecided about how much we need more midfielders. I'm torn between loving the players we have on our list and recognising the need to give them opportunities on the one hand, and the idea that you can't have too many midfielders on the other hand and looking at how the Bulldogs depth of midfielders is proving such an asset to them this season. The transfer of Treloar from Collingwood to the Bulldogs seems to be having a real impact on those clubs' respective fortunes this season (although obviously it's hard to know how much that has to do with it). I think the answer is somewhere in between although I lean towards the idea that you can't have too many. I suspect we'll recruit (whether by way of trade or draft) a mix of players in this year's post-season, including a midfielder. I think we are well served for outside types (would you include Blakey in this category? He's very hard to categorise, a bit like Dawson) and I would probably prioritise another in the vein of RB and Chad, who can win the contested ball.

While I'm here, just another hats off to our recruiters who have done an inspired job with our 2nd-3rd round draft picks for so long (to say nothing of the rookie picks!). In recent times, pundits considered that we "reached" a bit for each of RB, Warner and, especially, McInerney (who came from the clouds). But haven't our recruiters been vindicated! I guess Elijah Taylor didn't work out (although not for lack of talent), and we are yet to find out with Gould, but overall I think we have just done so well.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    A poster on here said that the Academy crop of 2021 is not in the class of 2020.

Would it be worth swapping our first two picks in 2021 for two future 2022 picks and loading up for the next draft? We could take the minimum two kids late in the draft. We can do this because Guldon, Campbell and McDonald are projected to be best 22 in 2022 and we can consolidate the kids we already have. The 2022 Acdamy crop may be better than the 2021 crop meaning the deferal of draft pick strategy may make sense.
    We don't have to pick Academy players and 2021 is projected to be a particularly strong draft year. So, no, I'm not convinced by your logic.

Besides which I'm not sure that there are any particular players that we know about for 2022 either. The club may know of some. And possibly a few posters on here who have some involvement with the Academy may have an idea. But I take it from your point of view it is entirely speculative. Anyway there's no reason to suppose we'll have any great difficulty paying for Academy players we want to draft in 2022 if there are some. Even last year, when we had to pay for a high first round pick and a second round pick, without using our first round pick (which we spent on Logan), we managed it without a deficit and without burning much of our currency at this year's draft.

Another idea for a possible trade target: James Sicily. All the talk is that Hawthorn is a million miles from a flag and need to do a full-blown rebuild. Therefore they may be interested in trading out some of there less young stars for draft picks. He would be about the only player on their list of interest to me (apart from recent draftees like DGB who they obviously won't be trading). He's not too old and he's not so young that they will need to hang on to him for their next flag push. He's a fiery customer, but I think we can work with that. Better than him being non-competitive. And he could fill the gap created by Mills moving to the midfield. Potentially we could pay for him by trading out Hewett, although Sicily is probably worth more than Hewett (even after Sicily's ACL injury last year). Hewett seems to have lost his place in our team - no longer played in the midfield but not as good a defender as Sicily would be. You've got to give something to get something. I'm not sure exactly what a fair price would be but I would be willing to pay, say, whatever we can get for Hewett plus our second rounder, for Sicily. Thoughts? AG, you might like this idea?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Another idea for a possible trade target: James Sicily. All the talk is that Hawthorn is a million miles from a flag and need to do a full-blown rebuild. Therefore they may be interested in trading out some of there less young stars for draft picks. He would be about the only player on their list of interest to me (apart from recent draftees like DGB who they obviously won't be trading). He's not too old and he's not so young that they will need to hang on to him for their next flag push. He's a fiery customer, but I think we can work with that. Better than him being non-competitive. And he could fill the gap created by Mills moving to the midfield. Potentially we could pay for him by trading out Hewett, although Sicily is probably worth more than Hewett (even after Sicily's ACL injury last year). Hewett seems to have lost his place in our team - no longer played in the midfield but not as good a defender as Sicily would be. You've got to give something to get something. I'm not sure exactly what a fair price would be but I would be willing to pay, say, whatever we can get for Hewett plus our second rounder, for Sicily. Thoughts? AG, you might like this idea?
    Sicily is a flog ! Dont care how good he is we as a club shouldnt accept worms like him on our list we are better than that