Page 443 of 529 FirstFirst ... 343393433439440441442443444445446447453493 ... LastLast
Results 5,305 to 5,316 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    I suspect the AFL would have given us an end of round 1 pick which would have been worth less than Melb's first pick in 2022.
    That's my guess too. That's what the Crows got when Brad Crouch moved to the Saints on a similar level of contract. The absolute best compensation it would have been possible to receive in a free agent scenario is a pick immediately after our first round pick - ie pick 13, which would effectively be pick 15. And that isn't a whole heap better than what we landed up with.

An indication from a departing player that they would prefer not to go to the PSD so that their original club receives some compensation has to have some limits - ie that the original club is not being too unreasonable. Otherwise the Swans could have told the Crows they wanted Tilthorpe and pick 4 or deal off. What would happen then?

I reckon the Swans calculated that Dawson and his management would consider the future first we finally were offered to be a not completely unreasonable trade, and thus their consciences would have been clear had the Swans rejected that and Dawson got to the Crows via the PSD. And when you compare it to what we accepted for, say, Zak Jones, that would be a pretty easy position for Dawson to reach in his mind.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Lord, Doughty has sold that journo a pup. Even Adelaide people know he had two offers on the table for some time, the two-year one to take him to FA, and another the long-term deal. Let alone other crap like the two deals between the two SA clubs being similar. One year of difference, and $100K a year difference. Half a million bucks over life of the contract ain't 'similar'.

What a fabrication. Must be easy in a small town for someone like Doughty to milk the journos dependent on you for drops and inside info to instead get favourable yarns.

Put Matt Turner in the dunderhead category of reporters.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Maaaan........im moving on from yesterdays news re Dawso etc

It is very clear that our club is concerned about the walk away back home factor that the Suns, Bears, GWS and we have to compete with and no doubt these 4 clubs will be illustrating prime examples and trend lines.

So more importantly do we need an extra tall defender to support our charge at the top4 and or a GF in 2022 or do we think between Rampe, Tom, Melican, Blakey, Gould, O'Connor, Foxy and Colin we are good to go and can snuff out a GF style game plan like Melb did first two qtrs...........with Lever, May etc ?

We have Bud and Kennedy still with us and my gut feeling is that 6th to top4 is possible and 2022 is our prime time vs no Bud and no Kennedy in 2023 and or the lesser of the two vs years gone past
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    If JD was a restricted free agent we would have had the chance to match Adelaide's offer or to receive compensation decided by the AFL formula. The latter would have yielded better than what we received in this case given JD's 5 year, high $ contract and his age. There is something not working when we get a worse deal for a player coming into his prime that occurs well before he reached free agency status.
    +1

Adelaide are starting to get some form re taking players to the PSD and I fully expect them to extory Gold Coast for one of Lukoscious or Rankine next year if nothing is done.

As has been pointed out before I don't see any point for the PSD going forward and it should be abaloished. Delisted players should be able to be picked up as delisted free agents.

There are two scenarios really I see for resolving issues like this in the future
    (1) The provision of a truly independent arbitration body that assigns a fair value that is binding on both parties after a hearing.
    (2) That players go through to the National Draft in the instance of a trade not being finalised

Quote Originally Posted by WomblingFree View Post
    Adelaide are starting to get some form re taking players to the PSD and I fully expect them to extory Gold Coast for one of Lukoscious or Rankine next year if nothing is done.

As has been pointed out before I don't see any point for the PSD going forward and it should be abaloished. Delisted players should be able to be picked up as delisted free agents.

There are two scenarios really I see for resolving issues like this in the future
    (1) The provision of a truly independent arbitration body that assigns a fair value that is binding on both parties after a hearing.
    (2) That players go through to the National Draft in the instance of a trade not being finalised
    Great ideas, WF. I would love those two amendments to be implemented.

Option 2 please. Simple, effective and makes the club pay a fair price in some shape or form. Yes the 'selling club' might miss out sometimes, but unlikely in most cases, and at least it removes the ability for the 'buying club' to get a player for nothing through PSD just because they are out of contract.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Our of interest, what do people think would have happened if JD had tried ti get to the Crows via the ND?

Would another club have taken him? I can see Port taking him at 16. Do we think the Crows would have been forced to use or at a minimum split pick 4 to get him?

What is there to stop JD doing what Jack Martin did and putting a price on his head that only the Crows are prepared to match?

Veterans List
    Corey Warner feature really high in a number of the Combine tests, touch and go that he'll last to our second pick. If we want him it will be a reach with our first at pick 18 or we'll need to trade up our second on the night. Corey says he'd love to play at the Swans so we'll know exactly who else is interested in drafting him and who the threats are.

With two other Warner brothers in the pipeline, maybe we can get the full set of four :-)

Angus Anderson, a Swans Academy player, made top 10 of the 2km run, anyone know anything about him?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Our of interest, what do people think would have happened if JD had tried ti get to the Crows via the ND?

Would another club have taken him? I can see Port taking him at 16. Do we think the Crows would have been forced to use or at a minimum split pick 4 to get him?

What is there to stop JD doing what Jack Martin did and putting a price on his head that only the Crows are prepared to match?
    How about using the price being offered by the selling club as a maximum, or in the absence of this, use the value of current contract plus 15% as maximum amount. Why should a player nominate a price just to be able to put some clubs off? Defeats the purpose of going into the ND. He just needs to go to the first club that can pick him, just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    How about using the price being offered by the selling club as a maximum, or in the absence of this, use the value of current contract plus 15% as maximum amount. Why should a player nominate a price just to be able to put some clubs off? Defeats the purpose of going into the ND. He just needs to go to the first club that can pick him, just like everyone else.
    That would encourage the selling club to lowball players as they couldn't leave for more $$ (or only via Trade, which the club can refuse to do).

You could stop players putting a price on their head in the PSD. It would help, but you've still got the problem of clubs knowing where the player wants to go / be and not wanting to recruit an unwilling player.

You could do something Academy or F/S like in the ND. Allow a player iike JD to nominate their destination club of choice, who can then match a bid in the ND for them. Means they still go to their club of choice, but that club has to pay a "fair" value for them.

Thoughts?

Veterans List

#2 has merit. I guess for your dead-set stars you're in similar terrain to the PSD but at least those who chose to go this route don't get Lachie Neale AND #1 draft pick.