Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Team Song - time to update?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    I suggested on a Sydney Swans facebook site yesterday....for a change from "while the loyal sons are marching" to "while the loyal swans are marching" for the AFLW Swans Women's teams.
    They listened to you MightyBloods. They have changed the line to "While our loyal Swans are marching, onwards to victory". There is an article on the swans app.

Very decent change and sensible - works well for mine.

Comes with the added bonus for the ability for something so trivial to absolutely stir the pot too..
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    They listened to you MightyBloods. They have changed the line to "While our loyal Swans are marching, onwards to victory". There is an article on the swans app.
    Here's the club's spin on it. Good change.....sensible.

Our loyal Swans are marching - YouTube

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Here's the club's spin on it. Good change.....sensible.

Our loyal Swans are marching - YouTube
    I agree. After singing "loyal sons" for 60 years, I'm going to find it hard to make the alteration but it's worth the effort. We old South Melbourne Swans have coped with bigger changes than that!

Agree Sandridge, will be hard to make the change at first for us old South supporters and do feel a tinge of sadness from a traditional perspective (song debuted in the year I was born). But if we did had a women's team back in 1961 i'm sure it would've debuted with this minor alteration, so I can fully understand where the club is coming from and going. Like you said, we've had to cop far bigger changes than this! Looking forward to when we do field a team in the AFLW.

I think we on RWO can take some of, actually a fair bit of, the credit for this change.

Straight after starting this thread I wrote to Tom Harley directly drawing this issue to his attention. He responded promptly and with appreciation saying he had not considered the issue but would raise it with the Board. I don't know for sure what happened next, but I think the club has since read this thread and taken on board our feedback - I see the hand of MightyBloods (post #10) and Meg (post #25) in particular in the latest version of the team song that the club has arrived at. I think the version the club has gone with has taken the best of what we canvassed and blended it into an excellent, an unobtrusively minimalist, change. It makes the song more inclusive and paves the way for the women's and girls' teams to come. Smooth work Swans!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Just heard Tom Harley on SEN say it be appeared so obvious when the Academy Girls teams had their first win, the wording needed to change from "Sons". It was raised at subsequent Board meeting who threw up various suggestions and landed on the "Swans" which made so much sense to them going forward as a club. They implemented the change quickly and without too much fanfare. No mention of RWO but I'm sure this board played a major part in giving club assurance to make this change promptly.

Has this gone viral on Facebook yet. I can just picture the conservatives shaking their fists at the sky in rage.

Senior Player
    I'm all for the change.
    But, I have to say that if you're ever on phone hold for the Swans, you'll wish for a different song...ANY song.
    Cos the version they play over and over is not suited to a tinny phone speaker.
    And I mean over and over!

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    ....But, I have to say that if you're ever on phone hold for the Swans, you'll wish for a different song...ANY song.
    !
    Be careful what you wish for. Sweet Caroline is the next song in their playlist. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Has this gone viral on Facebook yet. I can just picture the conservatives shaking their fists at the sky in rage.
    Could this be the cause of all the rain in Sydney perhaps?

Senior Player
    Now that that's all sorted perhaps we could redirect our attention to the word 'loyal.' Seems to me that loyalty is an outdated notion in a 2021 landscape where list overhauls, leaving for more midfield minute opportunities in a developing side, seeking out a club in a premiership window, and post season phone calls from your agent detail just how non-binding your contract is, have set a new standard.
    Maybe along the lines of, 'While our agile Swans are marching.........
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast