Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans vs Giants Solitary Pre-season Match

It seems that we are keen to play the 3 top 2020 draftees early this season. It makes sense to play them early as they tend to tire out as the long season wears on. There are just so many kids we can play in the same side. I'm sure Stephens, McInerney and Warner will get a good share of game time this season, but there will have to be sharing of senior time for our recent draft picks. Just too many to fit into the same team.

The injury to Fox might just be the opening Ling needs to cement a spot in the backline. COR didn't arrive in Sydney until January and then had to spend a couple of weeks in quarantine, so he's going to be a month or so behind in his training schedule.

Maybe the most impressive part of the scratch match last week was the Swans' pressure all over the ground. I thought the Giants were poor in their forward pressure by comparison. The hard work of Bell and Wicks, their willingness to keep chasing is being rewarded with a shot at a round 1 spot in the side. There's a greater appreciation for work off the ball than in previous times and we can spare a couple of spots for those who excel at this. Bell snapped a couple of nice goals last week, one on each side. He's developed a good balance between offense and defence. Wicks we know puts a big focus on pressure footy. Hewett is a good shut down midfielder who can provide plenty of offense as well.

As I've said before, we should be prepared for lots of selection surprises this year. It makes for exciting times to have so many players in the selection window.

Senior Player
    No Lloyd, is he injured?

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

"Jake unfortunately sprained the back of his knee when kicking a ball off the wet surface against GWS. He is going to miss this weekend as we are taking a conservative approach. He will look to return to full training next week."

Injury update: Fox sidelined but positive signs for Franklin

Veterans List
    Hayward surely has photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It seems that we are keen to play the 3 top 2020 draftees early this season. It makes sense to play them early as they tend to tire out as the long season wears on. There are just so many kids we can play in the same side. I'm sure Stephens, McInerney and Warner will get a good share of game time this season, but there will have to be sharing of senior time for our recent draft picks. Just too many to fit into the same team.

The injury to Fox might just be the opening Ling needs to cement a spot in the backline. COR didn't arrive in Sydney until January and then had to spend a couple of weeks in quarantine, so he's going to be a month or so behind in his training schedule.

Maybe the most impressive part of the scratch match last week was the Swans' pressure all over the ground. I thought the Giants were poor in their forward pressure by comparison. The hard work of Bell and Wicks, their willingness to keep chasing is being rewarded with a shot at a round 1 spot in the side. There's a greater appreciation for work off the ball than in previous times and we can spare a couple of spots for those who excel at this. Bell snapped a couple of nice goals last week, one on each side. He's developed a good balance between offense and defence. Wicks we know puts a big focus on pressure footy. Hewett is a good shut down midfielder who can provide plenty of offense as well.

As I've said before, we should be prepared for lots of selection surprises this year. It makes for exciting times to have so many players in the selection window.
    I think it is the influence of Jarrad McVeigh, who wants the players to,play a role in the forward line rather than chase glory with no accountability.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I think it is the influence of Jarrad McVeigh, who wants the players to,play a role in the forward line rather than chase glory with no accountability.
    What do you mean? A lot to unpack there.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    What do you mean? A lot to unpack there.
    I know that Stevie j set the forwards up around attacking highly skilled moves. He favoured players similar to himself believing individual brilliance would prevail. Later in the year the approach changed to add more defensive elements to the forward line to stop rebound goals. This was more successful. McVeigh sees the forward line as a team effort with different players having different roles eg kp, attacking forward, defensive forward. Each has specific running patterns and roles.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I know that Stevie j set the forwards up around attacking highly skilled moves. He favoured players similar to himself believing individual brilliance would prevail. Later in the year the approach changed to add more defensive elements to the forward line to stop rebound goals. This was more successful. McVeigh sees the forward line as a team effort with different players having different roles eg kp, attacking forward, defensive forward. Each has specific running patterns and roles.
    Big fan of this.
    I kind of get why Stevie J was brought in, to help our attacking side of the game. Where to lead, how to create etc. But from years watching him as a player, he wouldn't have been drilling in defensive pressure at all.
    McVeigh had a lot of traits that were admired. But the one that we most telling was when you got to watch him up close - particularly at training or a practice match. He was ruthless as a leader. Accepted zero compromise from his team mates. And was incredibly vocal about it on the field. If he's a coach, it makes complete sense he is instilling that in the young brigade.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Big fan of this.
    I kind of get why Stevie J was brought in, to help our attacking side of the game. Where to lead, how to create etc. But from years watching him as a player, he wouldn't have been drilling in defensive pressure at all.
    McVeigh had a lot of traits that were admired. But the one that we most telling was when you got to watch him up close - particularly at training or a practice match. He was ruthless as a leader. Accepted zero compromise from his team mates. And was incredibly vocal about it on the field. If he's a coach, it makes complete sense he is instilling that in the young brigade.
    The team in general but especially the forward setup has a Richmond look about it. Hopefully the boys can bring the skills to the table and start our move up the table.

Overall I like it although would be happier if Stephens and Gould were playing to a good enough standard to at least be in the best 26 of our available players.

Quite looking forward to this. Weather looks excellent football weather: partly cloudy, mid twenties, light breeze and no rain forecast. And both sides are fielding strong sides. From a quick scan of the GWS side, they only appear to be missing a few first choice players: Whitfield, Preuss, and perhaps Hogan and Hill.

In the good conditions, I hope to see us move the ball quickly and with a bit of flair. Also keen to see which of our younger players can make a strong case for round one selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    The team in general but especially the forward setup has a Richmond look about it. Hopefully the boys can bring the skills to the table and start our move up the table.

Overall I like it although would be happier if Stephens and Gould were playing to a good enough standard to at least be in the best 26 of our available players.
    Indeed. None of the top 3 2019 selections picked for this pre-season game is a real worry. We hope for the best, but let's be honest, it's starting to look grim, especially as the top two were playing senior football.

Quote Originally Posted by AnsweredPrayers View Post
    Indeed. None of the top 3 2019 selections picked for this pre-season game is a real worry. We hope for the best, but let's be honest, it's starting to look grim, especially as the top two were playing senior football.
    Not at all. Typical trajectory. Kids take time. 2 steps forward one back. I read it as our team improving and spots getting tight. Their time will come as Kennedy, Rampe, Sinclair, Fox and others move aside on potential, form and ceiling. The important thing is the culture of the club puts team first and selection on team needs and form. Many of our greatest players had extended apprenticeships in the reserves. I think about Adam Saad not wanting to play in defence and moving clubs because of it and it strikes me as not the club ethos. I think there was a bit of that with Aliir.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast