Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans vs Giants Solitary Pre-season Match

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnsweredPrayers View Post
    Indeed. None of the top 3 2019 selections picked for this pre-season game is a real worry. We hope for the best, but let's be honest, it's starting to look grim, especially as the top two were playing senior football.
    Jumping the gun in terms of Round 1 team selection.

Hopefully you are right. Stephens looks capable, but Errol looked better in last weeks practice match than any game I've seen Stephens play.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Clarke's spot to lose then. Both preferred wingmen not included. Preseason often flips plans on their heads. Would think we went into preseason back in Dec with the plan to have Stephens and McInerney on the wings by rd 1. Both look unlikely now.

RB and Warner fighting for the last midfield spot. Bell and Wicks battling for the last def forward spot. Will make for interesting viewing.
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    McInerney has been coming back from injury, so explainable. Would be interested in the story re Stephens. Long term, I’m completely comfortable where he’ll get to.

Short term, maybe it’s just the usual Swans thing of being coy about small injuries or maybe a slight bit of there is something very specific they want him to work on.
    I'm also thinking that McInerney and Stephens are missing because they are returning from injury. We've heard something about McInerney but not about Stephens. Neither are currently listed as injured, presumably because the injury is in the past and they are just working their way back to full training loads. Hard to say what it means for R1 but it is looking less likely that they will be ready.

I also agree with The Runner, that Sinclair may be in danger of being omitted from the 22 for R1 and that we may prefer to go with Hickey and back-ups and a smaller, speedier forward line. Let's see how we go today.

Who's going to the game? I am.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by AnsweredPrayers View Post
    Hopefully you are right. Stephens looks capable, but Errol looked better in last weeks practice match than any game I've seen Stephens play.
    It will be interesting today whether gws pay gulden a bit more attention. They will have studied his game style and whoever gets the matchup will no doubt have a plan.

If I was gws I would put a Lachie ash on him and instruct him to block his outside positioning.

Veterans List
    I've been surprised about the positive vibes on RWO about Stephens all pre-season. I don't see him anywhere near best 22 at the moment, and apparently Swans coaching staff agree. He's got a long way to go.

Agree to disagree, Giant, Stephens will be in our best 22 and for quite a few years, silky skills, pace and penetrating kick, hard to find these skills in one player

I can accept it is early days and not to jump the gun re. team selections. But if Bell and Clarke are still rated better than Stephens and McInerney well into season 2021, then I suspect that things will not be going too well, unless of course they are exceeding expectations massively.

And we can't have too many defensive forwards or mids in the 22, otherwise we will rely on Franklin, Heeney or Papley to kick the winning goals. We need more two way players than just defensive ones. It will depend on who we are playing of course

I was sold on what Stephens can do in the game against Collingwood last season, where he kicked a clutch a goal from a long way out whilst receiving serious front on attention. That told me he had toughness as well as skill. He played a influential game that night raking in quality possessions. One can be facetious to compare Stephens with Caleb Serong whom we overlooked to where they are now, but I agree with sentiment of those that Stephens will be a quality long term prospect. May just take a few seasons to reach his ceiling.

Sorry, like the Rowbottom debate, I dont like this Stephens talk at all. Showed some very pleasing form in the tail end of last year. There is too much haste to make assumptions about these players based on information we aren't privy too.

Reading these forums you would think Rowbottom spent his summer getting blasted on the festival circuit and Stephens forgot how to hold a football. Maybe these lads who have "fallen out of favour" didnt do everything right over the summer. We dont know. What i do know is how dedicated Rowbottom was to improving his gut running, and that Stephens was in good enough shape to do very well in the time trials.

Seem like two great kids who are learning the ropes. Both only 20. It wont all be smooth sailing as a young footballer. Lets give them the benefit of the doubt yeah ??

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Sorry, like the Rowbottom debate, I dont like this Stephens talk at all. Showed some very pleasing form in the tail end of last year. There is too much haste to make assumptions about these players based on information we aren't privy too.

Reading these forums you would think Rowbottom spent his summer getting blasted on the festival circuit and Stephens forgot how to hold a football. Maybe these lads who have "fallen out of favour" didnt do everything right over the summer. We dont know. What i do know is how dedicated Rowbottom was to improving his gut running, and that Stephens was in good enough shape to do very well in the time trials.

Seem like two great kids who are learning the ropes. Both only 20. It wont all be smooth sailing as a young footballer. Lets give them the benefit of the doubt yeah ??
    Barring fitness concerns, surely Stephens and McInerney are in the best 22. Both proved themselves very capable in genuine home and away play at the back end of the season as opposed to less intense pre season games where Gould stood out at times last year. Coaches know what they are capable of. Listing them as emergencies for this game probably meaningless unless they are a week or so away from full fitness.

Named side is different than that on Swans website. Hewitt on HB flank and Hickey starts. We will see who plays where

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast