Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans vs Giants Solitary Pre-season Match

Just an aside to the main game, the broadcasters kept mentioning that there was a reserves game before and even mentioned who played, mainly from GWS. Did anyone who attended the game see any of the reserves game?

Suspended by the MRP
    Good hitout. Joey lifted and got the team into it in the third. Parker a threat up forward. They still need more help.

Blakey just a tease, Hayward did nothing, Rowbottom overtaken by Warner, Melican needs a GPS

Hewett didn't offer much but will be better for the run. So will Heeney. Rampe made a dogs dinner out of every possession he had. Expected. First game since August of last year.

3 recent draftees all excellent.

Comments on the day:

Rowbottom;
    Someone needs to turn off TheBloods ability to post about him. He was excellent, and showed he'll keep improving this year.

Warner:
    His highlights when drafted were a lot of little 1%ers. I didn't think he'd be more than a pressure player (a good one though). Today he showed he can find the footy and use it well. Warner is a legitimate footy player and tough as nails. He'll bring grunt and speed.

McDonald:
    Showed why he was a #2 draft prediction, and will be a 10 year player. Gave us structure when we badly needed it. A great field kick too. He can really roost the footy on set shots. He won't be that impactful every week - you don't always get to play a team that's already a half of footy tired, and against their 3rd best defender (Taylor and Davis) but boy, a lot to be excited about!!

Campbell:
    Will be the best user of the footy we've had since probably Malceski, or maybe even Schwass. Got involved the the back half and will be a weapon. He'll be better than Lloyd by end of season

Gulden:
    So much energy, matched by smarts. Lock him in.

Mccartin:
    Future All Australian full back. So smart with the body and attacking the footy. Very impressive.

Hewett:
    Has taken Mills old role and looked great as a defender. Not a good user of the ball though which creates a problem

Ling:
    Only got a quarter, but attacked the footy hard, defended well and used it well. He's in my team

Wicks:
    Probably our best across the four quarters. Did a lot of good things with the ball on top of his immense pressure

Reid:
    I think his poor forward half forward just booked him the spot as second ruck and bumped Sinclair out. He offers something we badly need with the floating in the back line when he rucks

Hickey: really tries. Will be an improvement in the ruck division year on year. To be honest, whether you rate him worse than Aliir or not, his value to us will exceed him. Good trade in hindsight

Bell:
    Just not good enough. Doesn't really have a strength or a way to beat an opponent.

Melican:
    Per most commentary.. when he looks good it's great, but his bad is putrid

Kennedy:
    The faster game has blown past him. He'll still have a role, but he's not going to be as impactful

Cunningham:
    Just burns it regularly. Really tries but he's not good enough when it matters. We need to move on this year

Mills:
    Thought he looked a bit slow today. Needs a good 3-4 months to adjust to the new role, and should not be judged harshly til then

Hayward:
    Taylor, who started on him, is elite as a defender. He was blanketed early and couldn't break him. Once McDonald came on, and Taylor off, I thought he got involved a lot more with little things that create opportunity

Blakey:
    Elite user, loving him up the ground. Needs to stop drifting in games. When he touches it, magic happens. Is probably still trying a little hard to over create. He's kind of like watching Glenn Maxwell bat.

Lots of rust for Rampe and Heeney, and Parker looked great as a mid forward.

TheBloods, I think Warner had his best game, not sure on what basis you’d say he’s “overtaken” RB?

Both Supercoach and AF rated RB higher.

Which 4 plus players get dropped for round 1?

Bell
    Ling (purely on the basis of his minimal game time today)
    Sinkers
    Clarke

Do they persist with Melican? Hayward?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    TheBloods, I think Warner had his best game, not sure on what basis you’d say he’s “overtaken” RB?

Bell
    Sinkers
    Clarke

Thought RB was impressive. Tough competition for spots though and with Joey, Parker, Mills and Florent ahead of him on the inside, Blakey, McInerney and Stephens ahead of him on the outside, there's only one midfield opening left. That spot was up for grabs today and I thought Warner the better of the two. This is the whole premise of having depth, to have decent players who find themselves stiff to miss out on spots. Richmond have this problem every week every year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Thought RB was impressive. Tough competition for spots though and with Joey, Parker, Mills and Florent ahead of him on the inside, Blakey, McInerney and Stephens ahead of him on the outside, there's only one midfield opening left. That spot was up for grabs today and I thought Warner the better of the two. This is the whole premise of having depth, to have decent players who find themselves stiff to miss out on spots. Richmond have this problem every week every year.
    I look forward to reading your concessions when Rowbottom is named in the round 1 team. No way he doesn't play after this afternoon. You are eager to pit young players against each other. Why can't Warner have a good game without Rowbottom somehow being punished for it? I trust that our coach will find a way to fit BOTH young guns in the team for round 1.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

Bell
    Sinkers
    Clarke

When these 2 play we play 2 short. How long do we persist with accepting their obvious weaknesses.

Agree with your observations, The Runner

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    When these 2 play we play 2 short. How long do we persist with accepting their obvious weaknesses.
    I'm more optimistic on Hayward than most others on this site. He had a really tough match up today, in a role he's learning.
    I think we should wait til round 5-6 to really judge him. He deserves some time in the role with a few other talls around him.

Melican on the other hand.. I think it's just a mix of hoping he comes good, and not having great alternatives

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Good hitout. Joey lifted and got the team into it in the third. Parker a threat up forward. They still need more help.

Blakey just a tease, Hayward did nothing, Rowbottom overtaken by Warner,

Rowbottom 17 disposals 6 tackles 3 clearances

Warner 19 disposals 3 tackles 4 clearances

BOTH had good games. Oh yeah Rowbottom also kicked 2 goals

You remind me of a trump supporter just looking for reasons that defy logic.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    I'm more optimistic on Hayward than most others on this site. He had a really tough match up today, in a role he's learning.
    I think we should wait til round 5-6 to really judge him. He deserves some time in the role with a few other talls around him.

Melican on the other hand.. I think it's just a mix of hoping he comes good, and not having great alternatives
    While I appreciate your view on Hayward if other players are doing a better job they should get games ahead of him especially now that our depth seams a lot better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    I look forward to reading your concessions when Rowbottom is named in the round 1 team. No way he doesn't play after this afternoon. You are eager to pit young players against each other. Why can't Warner have a good game without Rowbottom somehow being punished for it? I trust that our coach will find a way to fit BOTH young guns in the team for round 1.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    While I appreciate your view on Hayward if other players are doing a better job they should get games ahead of him especially now that our depth seams a lot better.

- - - Updated - - -

+1
    I don't think there are alternatives for his role. Who else would you play at full forward?

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast