Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 1: Brisbane v Swans @ the Gabba

Round 1: Brisbane v Swans @ the Gabba

Seems like it's time to get this thread kicked off.

The match is scheduled for 7.45 pm on Saturday night 20 March AEDT (I think that means Sydney time - which will be different to local time because we'll still be on daylight savings in NSW but those of you in Queensland won't be).

Who is going to play? Have we seen enough of the candidates, or will it still come down to the way they're training over the next 10 days?

How much of a chance are Stephens and McInerney to make the team as they come back from minor niggles or off-season surgery? My feeling is that how they train will make a fair difference in their cases (and therefore for those they are competing for spots with too).

What are we going to do in the forward line - one tall or two? I can't see it being three. If two, will the second one be Sinclair, McDonald or McLean? How many of our new draftees will be selected? I'm guessing one - Gulden. However, could be more than one if both Stephens and McInerney are not ready to play.

It seems like Hickey is destined to be the primary ruck - does anyone see it differently? Will the Lions play two rucks? How does this influence our thinking? Do we want to create an imbalance by playing one and hope that it works in our favour?

Will any of Warner, Ling or Bell get a game? I can't see Bell being selected and the other two are not likely if Stephens and McInerney are ready to go.

Is Hayward in any danger of actually being dropped? If not, how likely is it that he could be moved to defence?

Will we persist with Hewett in defence? That was a conspicuous experiment last weekend. Hewett didn't do much wrong but I'm not sold on the idea. I guess Hewett, like Mills, is composed and a good user of the footy, which is valuable at half back in marshalling the play. But I'm not sure he has the same intercepting ability and lockdown defending skills and nor does he have the speed and elite kicking to be a great rebounder. And to date, he has been too quiet and unassuming to be thought of as having the leadership to guide the team around him. If we don't use Hewett in defence, does it become too difficult to keep him in the team? Is there a chance of him missing?

Someone has already started salivating about the McCartin v Daniher and Rampe v Hipwood match ups. I'd like to think these would be irrelevant because the game will be played in our F50 but that's wishful thinking so they should be some excellent battles. I wonder who Brisbane will send Harris Andrews to? Reid is actually a tricky one to match up on because he moves around so much. However, I suspect they will be more worried about our small and medium forwards, and also our mids streaming forward too. They seem better placed to match up against a taller attack than ours.

What will the weather be? It's kind of handy that in our pre-season games we had one wet, one dry. Gives us a bit of reminder of the difference and how to prepare.

Will be great to get the season started. Right now I'm feeling that we will be clear underdogs in this match. Quite apart from the fact that after two good seasons and then a good off-season they are flying, we are still young and figuring stuff out.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Raynor is out for the season with an ACL. Bad luck for the kid but glad we've came out unscathed from our practice matches. We also have to take into consideration Lloyd will be coming into the side as Buddy is the only other player from our best 22 who didn't play on Sunday. Should be interesting selection as BS has pointed out above. i wouldn't be surprised if Parker plays more forward than midfield (allowing Hewitt to play midfield) as i have a feeling they'll be saving McDonald for a bit later as a Gabba night game this time of year may not be ideal to make his debut. I think forward line consisting of Reid, Parker, Papley, Heeney & Gulden is a good mix. Hayward adds to the forward mix from the bench. I wouldn't mind playing Sinclair as 2nd Tall forward/2nd Ruck as that what he was primarily recruited for and hardly has had any chance to play that role. Now will be good time to give him decent stint doing so. I think Campbell will also make his debut on HB playing alongside seasoned campaigners Lloyd, Rampe, McCartin (who's quickly become one down back) and Melican who will relish Lloyd's return. Dawson will most likley play down back again even though like others here i would prefer him in a more attacking/damaging role. Go Bloods!!!!

Can't see a great match up for Heeney - he'll be crucial in us being competitive, needs to kick 4+

KSAS my gut feeling is that the swans squad that competes for the best 22 is a little broader........ no Bud, Lloyd but it would be a fair argument that Stephens, McInerney and Foxy can mount a significant case for best 22 last wknd if fit and firing

McDonald
    Clarke
    Squizzy
    Brand
    Gray
    Oirordan etc are a bit behind so far

wouldnt it be cool in a few months if we are also saying Paddy is doing more than enough to be a contender?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Ahh yes Auntie i did overlook McInery from possible best 22, with Foxy & Stephens also making good cases. Nice that best 22 is not clear cut!

Interesting to see how Paddy goes in the VFL & whether we'll take a punt on him via the mid seaon draft. His health should come first, which i'm sure the club will take into consideration

Its interesting to see how all the bits are going to come together. I reckon it'll be a fair while this season before we settle on what our best 22 is (at least as cloase as we can get to it, noting injuries will always play their role).

I wonder if a bit of Hewett in Defence is a bit along the lines of thinking that we might see teams take an extra midfielder into games compared to what we've been used to in recent years, with lower rotations and longer quarters in 2020. So looking for versatility in players beyond the reasonable level that is already there.

Whatever side we put out, unless the world goes to @@@@e in the next week and a bit, I'm just looking forward to being at the footy for first time in 18 months! Flights booked, hotel booked, tickets booked. Win lose or draw it'll be a nice feeling of some return to normality!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Regular in the Side
    Based on their performance in the past two weeks, I would select the following for this first round match. I know the coaches won't agree to all these and I won't have any problems with whoever they are selecting for real. We won't be the favourite to win this round but I desire a hard fought and close game with our players challenging the #2 Team last year!

My preferred selection for R1:

B: Sam Reid, Dane Rampe, Harry Cunningham

HB: George Hewett, Tom McCartin, Jake Lloyd

C: Nick Blakey, Callum Mills, Ollie Florent

HF: Isaac Heeney, Luke Parker, Jordan Dawson

F: Tom Papley, Callum Sinclair, Sam Wicks

FOLL: Tom Hickey, Josh Kennedy, James Rowbottom,

I/C: Chad Warner, Errol Gulden, Braeden Campbell, Hayden McLean

Emg: Dylan Stephens, Justin McInerney, Lewis Melican, Logan McDonald

* It will be a night game at Brisbane - even if it is not raining, it will be still a humid and dewy pitch, so McDonald will better debut daytime at SCG in round 2.

* Stephens and McInerney may not be 100% match fit yet and so will be only available as emergency

* Hayward did not improve much as a forward and I think McLean can offer more. In realty, the coaches may still prefer him.

*The Lions have a very good forward line with powerful tall shooters and agile crumblers.

*Melican was poor one on one and Reid was not effective in the front. So I would dare Reid to play Melican's role instead. Reid has played defence at stages of many important games with considerable success.

*Parker and Dawsons are both good marking options with good scoring records and they can deliver forward 50 entries more effectively too.

*Sinclair will be the forward/2nd ruck he was recruited for and provide some structure upfront.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Its interesting to see how all the bits are going to come together. I reckon it'll be a fair while this season before we settle on what our best 22 is (at least as cloase as we can get to it, noting injuries will always play their role).

I wonder if a bit of Hewett in Defence is a bit along the lines of thinking that we might see teams take an extra midfielder into games compared to what we've been used to in recent years, with lower rotations and longer quarters in 2020. So looking for versatility in players beyond the reasonable level that is already there.

Whatever side we put out, unless the world goes to @@@@e in the next week and a bit, I'm just looking forward to being at the footy for first time in 18 months! Flights booked, hotel booked, tickets booked. Win lose or draw it'll be a nice feeling of some return to normality!
    Go well; hope they reward your effort.

Suspended by the MRP
    Eager for this match. Considering driving up, perfect timeslot for it. Anything within a 40 point margin i will take it , watched Lions the other night .. they are scary good

B-Cunningham Rampe Melican
    HB-Dawson McCartin Lloyd
    C-Blakey Mills Florent
    HF-Heeney McDonald Hayward
    F-Papley Reid Gulden
    R-Hickey Kennedy Parker
    Int-Hewett Campbell Warner Sinclair

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Raynor is out for the season with an ACL. Bad luck for the kid but glad we've came out unscathed from our practice matches. We also have to take into consideration Lloyd will be coming into the side as Buddy is the only other player from our best 22 who didn't play on Sunday. Should be interesting selection as BS has pointed out above. i wouldn't be surprised if Parker plays more forward than midfield (allowing Hewitt to play midfield) as i have a feeling they'll be saving McDonald for a bit later as a Gabba night game this time of year may not be ideal to make his debut. I think forward line consisting of Reid, Parker, Papley, Heeney & Gulden is a good mix. Hayward adds to the forward mix from the bench. I wouldn't mind playing Sinclair as 2nd Tall forward/2nd Ruck as that what he was primarily recruited for and hardly has had any chance to play that role. Now will be good time to give him decent stint doing so. I think Campbell will also make his debut on HB playing alongside seasoned campaigners Lloyd, Rampe, McCartin (who's quickly become one down back) and Melican who will relish Lloyd's return. Dawson will most likley play down back again even though like others here i would prefer him in a more attacking/damaging role. Go Bloods!!!!
    Paragraphs please KSAS

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Paragraphs please KSAS
    My apologies! just noticed how bad it looks via the phone. Looked compressed when i'd posted from my PC. Will take note of that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Eager for this match. Considering driving up, perfect timeslot for it. Anything within a 40 point margin i will take it , watched Lions the other night .. they are scary good

B-Cunningham Rampe Melican
    HB-Dawson McCartin Lloyd
    C-Blakey Mills Florent
    HF-Heeney McDonald Hayward
    F-Papley Reid Gulden
    R-Hickey Kennedy Parker
    Int-Hewett Campbell Warner Sinclair
    I like your selections but would have Rowbottom in for Sinclair and Wicks also in instead of either Warner, Gulden or Campbell and whoever misses out is extremely unlucky. In saying that it has been reported that Mills may be forced to miss due to concussion so all three players could be selected.

Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast