Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 2 v Adelaide at the SCG

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think McLean is clearly the player who would make way from yesterday's side once Franklin is available. And, yes he's an upgrade (understatement) and will improve the team (probably, so long as the rest of the team allows him to become just part of the team, and not The Team).

But McLean could count himself somewhat unfortunate. He was pretty good. He moved well. He kicked well. He competed well.

He showed enough, IMO, to establish himself clearly in that group of 24-30 ranked players on our list who are clearly capable of coming in and making a solid contribution should need arise. That's a good place for the squad to be in.
    It's been a long time since there are no clear players to make way after a game.

I wouldn't even be disappointed if we kept the same team and gave Buddy a bit more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    It's been a long time since there are no clear players to make way after a game.

I wouldn't even be disappointed if we kept the same team and gave Buddy a bit more time.
    Since he only played half a game, I'd prefer it if we gave him at least another week, to get a bit more match fitness. Although that's assuming, that our reserves will be playing some sort of scratch match, next weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Since he only played half a game, I'd prefer it if we gave him at least another week, to get a bit more match fitness. Although that's assuming, that our reserves will be playing some sort of scratch match, next weekend?
    The more I think about it, the more this approach makes more sense. In the past, there was an urgent imperative to get him back asap. After Saturday night's performance, not so much. I'm sure it would help his injury risk if he got some more km's in those old man legs.

I'm being selfish but given it's the first time in a long time that I will be going to a game at the SCG with a decent crowd, I want Buddy to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    The more I think about it, the more this approach makes more sense. In the past, there was an urgent imperative to get him back asap. After Saturday night's performance, not so much. I'm sure it would help his injury risk if he got some more km's in those old man legs.
    And while it's a small sample size, I got the feeling that our forward line coaching may better this year. There seemed to be more separation, less instances of forwards leading to the same spot, more occasions were the smalls arrived at the exact right time, and there were hardly any cases of bombing it long to a nest of opposition players. Of course, the quality of the midfield movement and delivery, might contribute to that perception.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I'm being selfish but given it's the first time in a long time that I will be going to a game at the SCG with a decent crowd, I want Buddy to play.
    Me too, notwithstanding my comments on McLean.

I trust the Swans' conditioning staff to know if he needs more kms in his legs to reduce the chance of further injury. If he's ready to go, I wanna see him play. It's been so long since we've seen him out there that maybe the memory of how masterful he is - when on song - has faded a little.

Lot of young players contributed to the win, but young players are very hit and miss week in week out. If Buddy is half fit, he must come in*. You get a guaranteed output from him even if it isnt his normal 100%.
    I certainly wouldnt take Adelaide for granted. I think 2020 was not a true reflection of their real position.

Note * - Unless it keeps raining, then his skills are less useful.

Suspended by the MRP
    Awesome

Wow!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    With Buddy in the side I assume Maclean will need to be dropped, which is pretty unfortunate given the good game he played. According to supercoach our worse player was Joey Kennedy, but i don't think they will drop him.

Senior Player
    The whole team was amazing last week. Tough to make any changes but I agree that the bud star has to play and horse has indicated that he will.

We can take courage from that win and know that our future without Buddy is in good hands so even if he does another injury at some point then we have the players to come in.

Two changes for me

OUT: McLean, Rowbottom ( let him get his knee right)

IN: Buddy, Stephens

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast