Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 2 v Adelaide at the SCG

Senior Player
    Great news on Buddy! I'm assuming the medicos are confident he can play at least a half. I guess he will probably come on sometime in the first quarter and they will assess how he is going throughout the game.

I actually wonder if McDonald will make way. He was playing deep due to lack of tank. I suspect Buddy won’t yet be fit enough to roam so will play deep... and therefore Old Logan might miss out?

Can't see Logan missing. He's got a very good tank despite his youth, especially for a KPP. That's why he has been compared to Nick Riewoldt.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Suspended by the MRP
    Get Mcinerney in.

Rowbottom out knee, Mclean dropped

Hayward as sub again maybe use him if Bud cant run the game out

Question: if in the dreadful circumstance that Buddy broke down would we be allowed to use the medical sub? Or would it be said Bud took the injury into the game?

I haven’t read anything on this point so I suppose it isn’t an issue.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Slightly off topic, but it discusses how Adelaide and Sydney adapted to the 2021 rules better than their opponents.

Adelaide evoke Beatles era as Swans join AFL penthouse party

And it's good to see Buddy's return. I was expecting Franklin to be out for one more week. I really hope Franklin and McDonald both play. As one career starts and another ends, we won't get to see them playing together too often, in much the same way that Kirk and Kelly only played 33 games together.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Question: if in the dreadful circumstance that Buddy broke down would we be allowed to use the medical sub? Or would it be said Bud took the injury into the game?

I haven’t read anything on this point so I suppose it isn’t an issue.
    I don't believe they've made a distinction. But I doubt Buddy will be carrying an injury into this game, assuming he plays. Maybe he'll be light on for match conditioning, but that's not an injury.

However, I think you've highlighted one way for this rule to be exploited, especially in a big final. I imagine a coach might be more inclined to take a star player into a PF or GF, not sure they will be able to play through an injury, but in the knowledge they can be subbed out if it turns out they are not quite right. Whether that's within the spirit of what's intended, who knows.

A test of the "spirit" of the rule - if that matters - might get an early test this week after North acknowledged that they subbed out a player who was probably capable of carrying on, albeit they'd have had to slightly alter his role. My understanding five days ago was that the club doctor had to certify that the player was not capable of continuing.

Senior Player
    The rules say if the doctors has the opinion that it is a 12 day or more injury then the sub may be used. I don’t think it says anything about whether the injury was pre existing. So assuming the injury is an exacerbation and the exacerbation will be 12 days or more out then should be able to use the sub.

Very grey

I was thinking of the cricket rule re use of a runner for an injured batsman - only allowed if injury occurred during the match not if it was a pre-existing injury.

Interesting on Bounce last night they showed footage of our pre season training match sim and Papley and Sinclair had a bit of a heated scuffle.

Don't often see this from the Swans but showed that the boys are playing for keeps!

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I actually wonder if McDonald will make way. He was playing deep due to lack of tank. I suspect Buddy won’t yet be fit enough to roam so will play deep... and therefore Old Logan might miss out?
    Does anyone have access to the tracker stats from the game? Is this freely available or is it still a Telstra thing?

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Does anyone have access to the tracker stats from the game? Is this freely available or is it still a Telstra thing?
    As far as I can tell, on the AFL app, there's the top performers from each tracker category, in the match centre section. But there doesn't appear to be any tracker data on the standard AFL site.

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast