Thread: Academy uproar rears again

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Academy uproar rears again

I just missed Errol Gulden being interviewed on SEN as I only caught Dwayne Russell commenting on how a great interview it was (Looking forward to the podcast). But it caused the usual Vic reaction to our Academy with callers complaining we're getting an unfair advantage. This has now spilled over to Andy Mahr / Bod Murphy show who are further discussing our Academy. They will be interviewing Jared Crouch later in their show.

During his interview, Errol stressed he would've never got drafted if it wasn't for the Academy. I heard a few Swans supporters defending the Academy, with one caller who's son went through Academy stressing it's more than just trying to unearth good players as it also promotes the growth of Aussie Rules in NSW.

Errol's father rang in just before the end of Dwayne Russell's shift and added Errol would've been playing soccer if it wasn't for the Academy, eluding he would've followed in his older brother's footsteps who is talented in that sport.

There was even hypothetical suggestion whether the Academies will eventually have to follow the new NGA rules whereby clubs won't be able to match bids that come in the top 20. Sam Edmund said that won't be happening anytime soon.

These discussions will only further intensify if Gulden & Campbell have eye catching seasons and we tear up the ladder. This always rears it's ugly head whenever we threaten the competition as if our success is soley due to our Academy and our player development/recruiting gets sorely overlooked!
    Last edited by KSAS; 23rd March 2021 at 03:32 PM.