Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 2 (the Buddy beauty round): the other games.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I'd be surprised if Teague lasts the season.
    TO be fair, Carlton started with a game against the current premiers, followed by a game against another of last year's finalists, a side that they have only beaten twice in the previous eight seasons. Their next two games are against Fremantle and Gold Coast, two sides about equal to them in strength. If they lose both of those as well, then is the time to talk seriously about their future. If they win both, a 2-2 start isn't too bad. I expect they will be 1-3 after four rounds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Great to see RWOers maintaining the rage!!

For anyone under the age of 30 who might not be aware of the situation, read this:

On This Day: Swans survive.... Just

I think this article slightly underplays Carlton's role in our near demise. Let's hope they continue to fail - they deserve to!
    Also don't forget Collingwood's role in saving the club. Since then, I have enjoyed it every time Collingwood beats Carlton.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    They've possibly never fully recovered from the presidency of John Elliott. Left almost twenty years ago, with the club facing a range of sanctions and their reputation in tatters, and haven't been a genuine premiership contender since then.
    They have lost their identity. They were the blue-bloods. Somewhat ironic since they come from a ethnic working class suburb, but I think it was probably a 1960's to 1990's takeover by money'ed individuals like John Elliot.
    Based on that level of management, they were successful because they could buy players above what others could, and only very popular working class teams like Collingwood had the sheer weight of numbers to compete.
    But then, the modern era of salary caps and drafts, they couldnt do that and the money'ed high profile backers left.

Those that still run the club get pressure to "return to the glory days", when the known and practiced path to the glory days is blocked. They are stuck, and therefore never go anywhere. In the past 10 years they have had to high quality coaches in Malthouse and Ratten, and its not done any good. Theyve had draft picks, and raided GWS's surplus, and its not done any good.

They arent any good because that dont stand for anything. No one "wants to go to Carlton" for anything other than cash, and cash has a salary cap limit.

Also, their fan base is aging, and a flight risk because of their changing brand. I cant think of anyone who would have wanted to join Carlton in the last 20 years. Thats a big demographic gap.

I was at the Carlton v Pies game last night. It seemed like there were more Blues supporters than Magpie supporters which surprised me. It was an open game and Carlton were good at times. The Pies' better efficiency going forward was the difference. Like others here, I will never forget how opportunistic Carlton were in trying to replace us in Sydney and in poaching our best players at the time.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post

Also don't forget Collingwood's role in saving the club. Since then, I have enjoyed it every time Collingwood beats Carlton.
    Yep. It was Collingwood who led the fight to keep us afloat. God bless their little black and white hearts!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    TO be fair, Carlton started with a game against the current premiers, followed by a game against another of last year's finalists, a side that they have only beaten twice in the previous eight seasons. Their next two games are against Fremantle and Gold Coast, two sides about equal to them in strength. If they lose both of those as well, then is the time to talk seriously about their future. If they win both, a 2-2 start isn't too bad. I expect they will be 1-3 after four rounds.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. It was Collingwood who led the fight to keep us afloat. God bless their little black and white hearts!
    What was their motive? Intrinsic love or respect of/for the Swans, or a desire not to see their archrival get a leg up?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    What was their motive? Intrinsic love or respect of/for the Swans, or a desire not to see their arch rival get a leg up?
    I think the latter...Swans and Blues have not had much time for each other since the "Bloodbath" in '45.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    They have lost their identity. They were the blue-bloods. Somewhat ironic since they come from a ethnic working class suburb, but I think it was probably a 1960's to 1990's takeover by money'ed individuals like John Elliot.
    Bob Menzies was a lifelong Carlton supporter. After he retired from politics, the Carlton club had a special place reserved for him at their home ground, where he could attend home games while parked in his Bentley. Prime Ministers Chauffeur drives car into Grandstand to watch Football game

- - - Updated - - -

What was their motive? Intrinsic love or respect of/for the Swans, or a desire not to see their archrival get a leg up?
    I think it was the latter, but regardless of the motivation it's the result that matters.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Definitely the latter but they still saved us.

Senior Player
    Definitely the latter but they still saved us.
    I seem to remember North playing three or four home games at the SCG for a few years in the late 90s.

Veteran Site Admin
    I knew the answer to my question. I guess I think motive is as important as outcome when decided how much gratitude is appropriate. Particularly when that same club has been at the forefront of chipping away at various efforts the competition has introduced to mitigate against the inherent inequalities amongst the clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I seem to remember North playing three or four home games at the SCG for a few years in the late 90s.
    I think that was less about Lol@Norf seriously trying to take our territory, and more about their desperate nomadic existence, looking for anyone that would pay them the $$$ they needed to plug the holes in their budget. I remember going to a Roos v Swans game at the SCG where we were the away team - it may well have been my first live footy game but its a long time ago now!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I knew the answer to my question. I guess I think motive is as important as outcome when decided how much gratitude is appropriate. Particularly when that same club has been at the forefront of chipping away at various efforts the competition has introduced to mitigate against the inherent inequalities amongst the clubs.
    Spot on. Collingwood don’t deserve any gratitude when it comes to our existence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast