Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Buddy hypothetical

I have no idea about the surplus' - do they include the AFL disbursement? I don't even understand how the Swans can have so many members when you there are so many empty seats at the SCG (this is before covid) - if I had access to a seasons worth of games I'd certainly attend. I like football, not so much the field stuff - isn't really my thing. I know it's isn't just Buddy's salary, Kurt Tippett must have had a similar effect. All I know is that see players at other clubs that I wish were still at ours, sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Those that talk up his marketing/promotional side seem to forget that the SCG was rocking a long time before Buddy came along.
    Sure one can make that argumet.

But likewise the numbers do tell a fairly interesting story.

I haven't had a chance to dig out the whole lot of the figures (Neilfws may do it if he has a chance and offer some far more sophisticated analysis), but after out 2 flags (05 and 12), we saw somewhere around a 20% increase in membership numbers. This seems to linger as an addition to the 'baseline' membership levels, not just as a temporary increase (i.e there is variation mixed in there from year to year, but a premiership does seem to create a permanent boost).

http://footyindustry.com/files/afl/m...2016_aug13.png

2005 membership - 24,955
    2006 Membership - 30,382
    2012 membership - 29,783
    2013 membership - 36,358

Since 2013 - despite no flags (noting a very good few years in general however), membership grew every year up to a peak of 61,912 in 2019. That is a massive increase no matter what way you look at it. A not insignificant factor in that growth has been the AFL more generally has done a lot to promote 'membership' as a key part of being a footy fan, so there has been serious growth across most clubs. But even taking that into account, it is still highly like that the Buddy factor has had a significant impact on that side - especially given for the good period of 2014-16 in there, 2017-19 wasn't quite at that level.

Even if you say that a quarter of that growth is due to the Buddy factor, that is still somewhere ~ 8,000 memberships. No idea what the average revenue per membership is, but it only has to be somewhere around $150 to 'offset' the wage of Buddy. And that is before any other off field impacts more broadly.

The intriguing period will be the 'post Buddy' period, to see what may happen to numbers. But I suspect we may see some fairly robust numbers should our upwards trajectory in performance is to continue.

Crowd numbers are much tougher to decipher - partially due to our split membership basis (Sydney and Melbourne) that means a growth in membership necessarily is directly reflected in home crowd figures (I suspect a similar trend would be seen at any sporting club in Sydney - it does seem to be an odd market in terms of crowds), partially because of the impact of the years playing out of Barry's palace in the west, partially by more routine factors such as wet weather, who we play at home any given year, times when games are scheduled, how we are performing as a team, redevelopment at the SCG etc.

They do tell some interesting stories however: https://afltables.com/afl/crowds/swans.html#1a

Highest 3 average attendance years were 1997 (35.8K) , 2006 (35.6K) and 2007 (34,2K).
    - Reason for 1997 is obvious
    - 2006 and 2007 averages supported by also being the high points of attendance at Homebush (45K on average in 2006, >60K at each game in 2007 as were very well targeted blockbusters). SCG averages for those seasons were 30.4K in 2006 and 25.2K in 2007.

- Next three on the list are 2016 (33.9K) ,2017 (33.4K) and 2018 (33.3K).
    - Every year of the Buddy period comfortably is well in front of 2013 (28.2K) and 2012 (24.9K)

Not going to try to draw any conclusions from crowd numbers - there are far too many factors in there to say anything with any genuine conviction that there is causality to accompany the obvious correlations.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    I have no idea about the surplus' - do they include the AFL disbursement? I don't even understand how the Swans can have so many members when you there are so many empty seats at the SCG (this is before covid) - if I had access to a seasons worth of games I'd certainly attend. I like football, not so much the field stuff - isn't really my thing. I know it's isn't just Buddy's salary, Kurt Tippett must have had a similar effect. All I know is that see players at other clubs that I wish were still at ours, sad but true.
    As always, the finance of footy is difficult to unpick - best useful piece of info I could find was some analysis from 2019 in this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...-GA/edit#gid=0 . Some useful info and links to reports here: http://www.footyindustry.com/?p=36848

At least gives some idea of how it all pulls together - but its tough to unpick. Really need a proper historical series to draw any meaningful conclusions, but I suggest there is more then just correlation between a sustained period of good results and Buddy being at the club - and missing finals in 2019 was probably the difference between a loss and a surplus in that year more than anything else. If nothing else, I think its safe to say having Buddy at the club has certainly helped improve overall financial results during that period.

As for the question between members and empty seats at the SCG. Plenty of factors to take into account:
    - ~20% of our members are Victorian based. I'd suspect a very small proportion of those members go to any significant number of games in Sydney in any given year.
    - A lot of memberships (not sure on the breakdown) are not full 11 game access to the SCG. Not sure on the breakdown between the categories.
    - Sydney sporting fans are an interesting bunch when it comes to attendances at footy. Very similar trends are seen in NRL in terms of significant membership growth not necessarily resulting in huge increases in crowds at games. For whatever reasons, there isn't the same fervour to be at every game in Sydney like there is in the absolute footy mad towns of Adelaide and Perth, or even for the biggest clubs in Melbourne.

I suspect a reasonable target is probably averaging 40K a game at home by somewhere around 2025 - probably a push, but not entirely unachievable.

I'm sure there is some much better analysis out there around all this, but if I can't find some, might spend some of the long hot summer thinking more closely about it all.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Clearly Buddy would have contributed to an increase in our bottom line. As to the amount, that’s impossible to quantify, though it would be reasonably significant.

Personally I would have preferred another premiership..

Senior Player
    It is obviously impossible to know how we would have played over the last 8 years without Lance. But I think it can be confidently stated and he has been a very big part of our success over that time. There are countless games where his contributions has been decisive.

He has consistently performed over a long period. He rarely has more than two bad games in a row. We are 91-45 when he plays. (At 67%, that's a better win percentage than McVeigh, Goodes, Parker, Kennedy, Rampe, Heeney.) He's had 4 All-Australians and two Coleman Medals as a Swan. We have made the finals every year he has played more than 10 games. He's kicked the 6th most goals in Sth Melb/Syd history, and is on track to finish third.

But more than that, speaking personally, it's been bloody great to cheer for one of the all-time great players. I have enjoyed and savoured every goal. I have also enjoyed watching him mature and the clear pleasure he experiences in the the success of his team-mates.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    It is obviously impossible to know how we would have played over the last 8 years without Lance. But I think it can be confidently stated and he has been a very big part of our success over that time. There are countless games where his contributions has been decisive.

He has consistently performed over a long period. He rarely has more than two bad games in a row. We are 91-45 when he plays. (At 67%, that's a better win percentage than McVeigh, Goodes, Parker, Kennedy, Rampe, Heeney.) He's had 4 All-Australians and two Coleman Medals as a Swan. We have made the finals every year he has played more than 10 games. He's kicked the 6th most goals in Sth Melb/Syd history, and is on track to finish third.

But more than that, speaking personally, it's been bloody great to cheer for one of the all-time great players. I have enjoyed and savoured every goal. I have also enjoyed watching him mature and the clear pleasure he experiences in the the success of his team-mates.
    Great overview totally agree with you

I actually agree with all this and feel much the same way for most part.

My issue is that we sold the entire farm in order to get all of this along with no premiership.
    Last edited by Captain; 26th September 2021 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I actually agree with all this and feel much the same way for most part.

My issue is that we sold the entire farm in order to get all of this along with no premiership.
    We had our chances though - 2 grand finals and a prelim thrown in as well. Who knows what might have happened in the counter factual - we might have dropped away to nothing, we might have soared to greater heights?

In general, it is really, really hard to win the flag - do we judge the deal to bring Plugger to the swans a failure because we didn't win a flag? Of Course not.

We've been spoilt by historical standards in the 2000s - 5 grand finals within 11 years, 2 flags (by comparison the dogs yesterday played in only their 4th grand final of the VFL/AFL era).

It could have 3 or 4 flags (or even 5 given 2006) within a decade.

None of that is to say that we didn't bring Buddy to the club to help us win the cup - of course we did. But when one reflects on how tough they are actually to win, its a big call to use that as the primary measure of success or failure when Buddy is just 1 of 22 guys out there on any given day. Which is of course an argument that can be used on both sides - i.e. that you should not overspend on any one player, but alternatively that you can't expect one player (no matter how good they are) to be guaranteed to be the difference between not winning and a flag and winning a flag.
    Last edited by mcs; 26th September 2021 at 09:22 PM.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Not going to try to draw any conclusions from crowd numbers - there are far too many factors in there to say anything with any genuine conviction that there is causality to accompany the obvious correlations.
    Appreciate that mcs - but can we really gve any more credence to membership numbers? Are we comparing apples with oranges now? A membership used to involve purchasing a seat for 11 games a season, these days that's probably the minority of memberships.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    In general, it is really, really hard to win the flag - do we judge the deal to bring Plugger to the swans a failure because we didn't win a flag? Of Course not.
    It is hard to win a flag, 72 years without one is pretty clear evidence to that. One thing they do have in common is that Buddy and Plugger's time at the Swans didn't yield a single flag. That's 13 years of near misses, compared to 14 years with 2 flags. So maybe a marque key forward is good for attendance/memberships but less good for actually winning premierships. It could be that such a key forward makes a team too predictable, but I think it might have something to do with the big contracts that come with a marque key forward leaving less for other good players.

Buddy has certainly been a part of our success, but how much of that on field success was based on Buddy?
    Even for a great forward like Buddy, a lot of their success is dependent upon the work of players further up field.

IMO we would have NOT made the 2014 & 2016 GFs without Buddy. There would be no debate about his contract had we won at least one of these 2 GFs, which is one of many reasons why the 2016 GF umpire gate hurts so much. The week leading up to the 2014 GF the AFL announced our trade ban which I believe was a deliberate ploy to upset our preparation. Not that is an excuse for our performance that day (Buddy was one of our best) but nevertheless it revealed the AFL's retribution that we don't win flag with Buddy.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast