Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy hypothetical

Goes up to 11
    Let's see him get through today's match before we make any plans for 2023 hey?

It all comes down to whether Buddy's body can hold up to the rigours of AFL going forward. At present, its debatable whether he will play consistent games for these next two seasons let alone beyond that. I hope he does have a good injury run from here and at least makes it to the end of 2022. Regardless, I still think we did the right thing in recruiting him and he almost got us to a premiership in 2014 and 2016. He is a Swans great!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    I was just musing with a buddy (pun partially intended) of mine about life after 2022.

Bud’s mega deal is done.

But - hear me out - what if Bud isn’t completely shot. He might only play 50-60% of the matches in the final 2 years of his current contract, but the lighter workload makes it manageable for him. What if he’s still kicking 2-3 a game (that he plays in), drawing the best 1-2 defenders, taking the load off the developing LoMac (you heard that terrible nick name first right here!).

Now, let’s say Bud reaches the end of 2022 and the Swans development has fast tracked beyond expectation. Bud‘s bod, surprisingly, Is holding up. He’s enjoying his footy and the club and his teammates. And says “Horse, I want to go around and other year ... maybe 2. I realise I’ve been paid overs for 9 years, especially those last few. But I’m enjoying my footy again. I see something special happening here. How about I sign one year deals on a greatly reduced rate ($200-300K?) so I can keep playing without being a weight on the cap and not have the expectation week in week out. I’ll play when I can. But you now have freedom to recruit another marquee player and we can hopefully all enjoy the success you recruited me for”

Would such a deal work? Would you want it as a Swans supporter?
    If that were to unfold, I would love to see that. The Bud deserves a flag with us......and then we could all go and stand outside Mike Fitzpatrick's house and chant an expletive laden version of our club song through megaphones for days on end. That would be glorious!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 28th March 2021 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    If that were to unfold, I would love to see that. The Bud deserves a flag with us......and then we could all go and stand outside Mike Fitzpatrick's house and chant an expletive laden version of our club song through megaphones for days on end. That would be glorious!
    Cheer, cheer the red and the white.
    We're out on your lawn,
    All day and all night.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Cheer, cheer the red and the white.
    We're out on your lawn,
    All day and all night.
    Lift our middle finger high,
    Shake down the vengeance from the sky

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    The Bud deserves a flag with us......
    I can think of a few more deserving cases, but in all seriousness, why do you think that it's "The Bud" in particular, who deserves a flag with us?
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 29th March 2021 at 12:13 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I can think of a few more deserving cases, but in all seriousness, why do you think that it's "The Bud" in particular, who deserves a flag with us?
    Obviously all the Swans older players deserve a flag but Bud came to us to win flags, the AFL made sure we didn't and he has been a loyal servant throughout all the crap the league has thrown at us since we recruited him.....so yes, Bud deserves a Swans flag as much as anyone else at the club. Why.....you don't agree? You somehow think The Bud is NOT deserving?

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Not deserving? No I didn't say that.
    Less deserving? Hell yes!

"Bud came to us to win flags" - Pull the other one it plays Jingle Bell's. We may have hired him to win a flag, but he came, quite literally, to the highest bidder. Any other assertion is at the best fanciful - at the worst felonious.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 29th March 2021 at 08:08 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Not deserving? No I didn't say that.
    Less deserving? Hell yes!

"Bud came to us to win flags" - Pull the other one it plays Jingle Bell's. We may have hired him to win a flag, but he came, quite literally, to the highest bidder. Any other assertion is at the best fanciful - at the worst felonious.
    To the highest bidder?

His motivation to move to Sydney (the city) was to be with his partner (now wife and mother of their two children).

That gave him two choices: GWS who were very keen to get him; and the
    Swans.

From various insights over the years since Buddy arrived HE was keen to come to the Swans. (And why wouldn’t he be given the choice between Giants and Swans). To make that preference a reality the Swans had to make an offer that knocked the competitors out of contention (GWS and Hawthorn who had the right to match).

So it’s true that Swans made the highest offer. But the implication that what the Swans offered was Buddy’s motivation to come to us is an assertion not backed by known facts.

And I believe my explanation is neither fanciful nor felonious.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    To the highest bidder?

His motivation to move to Sydney (the city) was to be with his partner (now wife and mother of their two children).

That gave him two choices: GWS who were very keen to get him; and the
    Swans.

From various insights over the years since Buddy arrived HE was keen to come to the Swans. (And why wouldn’t he be given the choice between Giants and Swans). To make that preference a reality the Swans had to make an offer that knocked the competitors out of contention (GWS and Hawthorn who had the right to match).

So it’s true that Swans made the highest offer. But the implication that what the Swans offered was Buddy’s motivation to come to us is an assertion not backed by known facts.

And I believe my explanation is neither fanciful nor felonious.
    If he was so keen to get to us for reasons other than money, why did we make the highest offer? Dumb management at the Swans? Charity?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    If he was so keen to get to us for reasons other than money, why did we make the highest offer? Dumb management at the Swans? Charity?
    Had to mount a knock-out blow on Hawthorn. And it was the length of the contract that did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    It's how restricted free agency works. The offer from the club where the player is incumbent has to be exceeded by the acquiring club.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast