Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Swans Academy thread

Veteran Site Admin

2021 Swans Academy thread

I don't think we yet have a 2021 Swans Academy thread, so I thought I'd kick one off with a question:

- where on earth does one find information about the academy fixtures for this season?

If we think the Swans are tight with information about the EFL team (I can't bring myself to refer to it as the VFL), it's even worse when it comes to the U19 Academy side. AFL360 highlighted this evening that the NAB Cup (for the Victorian u19s) starts this weekend, so I figured maybe the Academy series might also be soon underway. But I can't find anything.

I did notice that the northern academies teams' involvement in the NAB Cup seems to have been cut back to a single game for each - all in late May. It's a bit of a shame that this has been cut down from the three games they each got in 2019, especially after Kevin Sheehan indicated he'd like to see their participation increased, but I guess we have to make some short-term allowances for living in a COVID-affected environment. Maybe the ongoing uncertainly dissuaded them from fixturing more than those single games for this season.

Is there anyone with an inside track to the academy set-up that has any idea when we might start to see our U19 team play competitive matches?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't think we yet have a 2021 Swans Academy thread, so I thought I'd kick one off with a question:

- where on earth does one find information about the academy fixtures for this season?

If we think the Swans are tight with information about the EFL team (I can't bring myself to refer to it as the VFL), it's even worse when it comes to the U19 Academy side. AFL360 highlighted this evening that the NAB Cup (for the Victorian u19s) starts this weekend, so I figured maybe the Academy series might also be soon underway. But I can't find anything.

I did notice that the northern academies teams' involvement in the NAB Cup seems to have been cut back to a single game for each - all in late May. It's a bit of a shame that this has been cut down from the three games they each got in 2019, especially after Kevin Sheehan indicated he'd like to see their participation increased, but I guess we have to make some short-term allowances for living in a COVID-affected environment. Maybe the ongoing uncertainly dissuaded them from fixturing more than those single games for this season.

Is there anyone with an inside track to the academy set-up that has any idea when we might start to see our U19 team play competitive matches?
    I know, it's all a mystery to me, too. The best I can offer, is to keep an eye on the Swans academy Facebook page, as they usually give streaming details, a week or so before a game.

I'm a bit disappointed that we aren't really a part of the NAB League, since I think that the wins against a few Victorian teams in 2019, probably helped the development of our players. Though I suppose games against the other academy sides will perform a similar function. Assuming that we play against Brisbane and Gold Coast, and not just a couple of games against GWS?

Its actually quite a limited timetable this year -
    1. Intraclub - 15 April
    2. two trial games against GWS on 24 April (Canberra) and 8 May (BISP)
    3. Three nab league games all in melbourne - Geelong 22 may, Dandenong 29 May, Nth Knights 5 June

Allies then dont happen until July / August.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Its actually quite a limited timetable this year -
    1. Intraclub - 15 April
    2. two trial games against GWS on 24 April (Canberra) and 8 May (BISP)
    3. Three nab league games all in melbourne - Geelong 22 may, Dandenong 29 May, Nth Knights 5 June

Allies then dont happen until July / August.
    Handy that we're playing a few NAB League games.

Yeah definitely but compared to pre covid when they played all the other academies plus about six nab games plus the opportunity to play in NEAFL its quite a bit more limited. I guess the upside is that the Sydney Prems and U19s comps get a fair boost of talent.

Luke Parks will be selected by Carlton this week. So the Academy is now producing players for other AFL clubs. It's another reason to keep the academies.

Senior Player
    At this rate Carlton's entire list will have a NSW connection within a few years. I'm not sure if that is good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Yeah definitely but compared to pre covid when they played all the other academies plus about six nab games plus the opportunity to play in NEAFL its quite a bit more limited. I guess the upside is that the Sydney Prems and U19s comps get a fair boost of talent.
    And I'd assume that boosting the Sydney competition would be one of the aims of the academy. With the number of academy graduates scattered around the comp, it's probably working to some degree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Luke Parks will be selected by Carlton this week. So the Academy is now producing players for other AFL clubs. It's another reason to keep the academies.
    In a few years time, we might even benefit from go home factor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    At this rate Carlton's entire list will have a NSW connection within a few years. I'm not sure if that is good or bad.
    As long as it's mainly GWS cast offs, I won't mind.

Veteran Site Admin
    Hmmm...might be otherwise occupied at the times of the live streams. Hopefully they'll be available to watch on replay.

Thanks for the heads up that the games are on.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Hmmm...might be otherwise occupied at the times of the live streams. Hopefully they'll be available to watch on replay.

Thanks for the heads up that the games are on.
    I might record the Seniors and make a day of it. Some nibbles, a nice bottle of something and a few Swans wins!

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I might record the Seniors and make a day of it. Some nibbles, a nice bottle of something and a few Swans wins!
    Unfortunately no swans wins - u19s beaten by 31 points , u17 by a goal on the siren.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast