Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Round 3: the other games. The look who's 0/3 round.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Just as an aside I think our young players will be subjected to some opposition teams resorting to dubious thuggery type tactics.

Which team do RWO'S think is the most likely to resort to this?
    Definitely Geelong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Definitely Geelong
    More likely Hawthorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I only saw snippets of the GWS v Dees match so hadn’t realised that Giants lost Phil Davis and Stephen Coniglio in the second quarter and then Matt de Boer early in the third – leaving them two players short on the bench for almost half the match ( having brought on the medical sub).

In fairness to GWS, with the reduced number of rotations it’s not surprising that the Dees ran over them in the last quarter.
    But also the scoreboard flattered GWS. They could just as easily been 2.11 and lost by 100 points. Leon has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    If GWS were to fold, could you imagine the outrage, if our academy catchment zone was expanded to the more traditionally fertile area of southern NSW? My guess is, that the outrage level would be similar to, an over-indulged, but unexpectedly deprived toddler, wailing and pounding on the floor of the supermarket chocolate and lolly aisle.
    there is no way GWS will fold, but they do have to address their relevance (OR LACK OF) in Sydney. They have done great things in Canberra. They kind of have a norf feel about them, while being successful there was always negative press around mainly about losing player all the time, which hinders growth in supporters. The AFL were partly to blame by cutting their cap too early.
    You reap what you sow.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    But also the scoreboard flattered GWS. They could just as easily been 2.11 and lost by 100 points. Leon has to go.
    If there's a market on first coach sacked this season, I'm guessing he's the favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    More likely Hawthorn.
    Yes, you get a certain vibe, that says Clarkson would be the coach most likely to issue those instructions. But on the other hand, what have North got to lose? We play them very late in the season, and being suspended for the finals is not likely to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    More likely Hawthorn.
    GWS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    there is no way GWS will fold, but they do have to address their relevance (OR LACK OF) in Sydney. They have done great things in Canberra. They kind of have a norf feel about them, while being successful there was always negative press around mainly about losing player all the time, which hinders growth in supporters. The AFL were partly to blame by cutting their cap too early.
    You reap what you sow.
    Just send them to Canberra. Greater Western Sydney was always a ridiculous contrivance.

Swans learnt that the Sydney market is fickle and it took 20+ years to be established.

GWS need a plan B. This is there first downturn and need to survive.. Canberra is not the solution for home games.

(Tassie (Roos?? ) and ACT / or NT 19th and 20th sides in the long haul)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    Swans learnt that the Sydney market is fickle and it took 20+ years to be established.

GWS need a plan B. This is there first downturn and need to survive.. Canberra is not the solution for home games.

(Tassie (Roos?? ) and ACT / or NT 19th and 20th sides in the long haul)
    Interest in the game in Sydney is still so patchy. The east and inner west are strong but the north, west and south are not.
    Sure, there are pockets of support in these other areas but they are just that, pockets. Footy just hasn't really taken hold
    everywhere.
    It seems unjust that there isn't a team in Tasmania but even there support for footy is not what it used to be. There were
    more people at TFL Grand Finals at North Hobart Oval in the 70s than there were at our game against Adelaide in Round 2.
    Canberra is too small to support 11 home games and a permanent team. I don't know the answer.

"GWS - Just send them to Canberra. Greater Western Sydney was always a ridiculous contrivance".

Around the time of the formation of GWS, I happened to be at a corporate function where Kevin Sheedy, their inaugural coach, was the main speaker. I managed to have a short discussion with him about where they thought they would garner their support. I expressed the view to him that I thought the vast majority of support for AFL in Sydney (especially spectators/ members) was already captured by the Swans. His response was that there was a lot of untapped support in the outer western suburbs with many unwilling to travel to the SCG. He also mentioned that a large army base was present in that part of outer Sydney and it drew many people from AFL states. He also mentioned Canberra as another drawing place.

He then challenged me (which is typical Sheeds if you have ever met him) to provide an alternative view of where they should get their supporters. My response was that I thought that they would struggle to garner sufficient support to be viable long-term. We agreed to disagree. He was very nice about it. I have a lot of admiration for him.

When I reflect now on that conversation from 10 years ago, I feel that GWS have done much better than I thought they would in attracting spectators/ members. Their membership in 2020 of 25,000 was pretty impressive for such a young club in a northern state. Having a strong team for most of the past 6 or so years has certainly helped. Gold Coast, in comparison, have failed dismally on that front as we know and so lack any great support.

Having said all of that, GWS look like being less successful in the coming 2-3 years. If that is the case then their greatest challenge in their short history is ahead of them and will be to hang onto that hard won support.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Sure, they had some injuries yesterday.

But GWS can’t ever get their best players consistently on the park. They keep drafting good kids and losing them within two years. They’ve lost the ability to play with any speed. Their coach resembles Forrest Gump.

The only two bits of interest with them for the year are when they sack the coach, and whether their crowd average is 6000 or 4000.

A farcical, plastic creation going nowhere.
    Why would you think their crowds will double this year, when they look like being so much less successful?
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678