Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-match Discussion: Round 4 V Bombers @SCG

Senior Player
    This most tired / cramping up / rest the youngsters / short turnaround argument would also apply to the Bombers though wouldn't it, who had a slightly shorter turnaround and will be required to travel?
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    This most tired / cramping up / rest the youngsters / short turnaround argument would also apply to the Bombers though wouldn't it, who had a slightly shorter turnaround and will be required to travel?
    Good point. last year the sides that had a really short turn around and had to travel got pumped.

Essendon game looked a walk in the park compared to ours. Also they played under the roof at Marvel at a later time than us, so maybe they are tired but we were fried.

Veteran Site Admin
    They also played against witches hats while we played the Tigers - well below their pressure best but still an opposition of sorts. Does that mean our guys may be sorer? Maybe, but they will be mentally fitter.

Senior Player
    McClean and Mcinerney (sp) out for Franklin and Rowbottom seems the obvious changes on a LIFO basis

Calls for resting players in round 4 is ridiculous, whether they're first year or 10th year players, they should have sufficient conditioning to back up the short turnaround

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I was irritated with Lloyd after the Adelaide game, probably mostly for calling for the ball from Wicks and then screwing up the next kick. I did wonder how quickly he'd change mindset from a possession accumulator in the backline to part of a forward thrusting team. But I thought he was a solid component of the team against Richmond. He did his fair share of mopping up in the backline, and of running to provide a close target up to the wing and half-forward.

As with Lloyd, I thought Reid was a valuable contributor against Richmond. He was in the right place at the right time to regularly compete one-on-one for the ball, particularly around the top of the 50m arc. I don't remember him being outmarked once, and he was effective in keeping the ball moving forward. As a relief ruckman he also contributed decently.

It is hard to leave anyone out of that team. McLean is the obvious one for Buddy so long as everyone has recovered fine from Saturday's game. Unlucky, yes. Just as he was unlucky to miss the Adelaide game. But he knows he'll get some more opportunities later in the season.

Picking another will likely come down to Blakey or McInerney. Neither was poor, neither especially needs to go out of the team, though McInerney looked a little short on his normal footspeed a few times as he was chasing a Richmond player down the wing. I suspect having very little pre-season means he's not in completely top nick. Hopefully he'll be able to get to peak fitness as the season progresses, for his blistering speed is one of his best assets.
    I thought Reid had one of his better games over the last few years on Saturday. His role forward is to provide a marking target and occupy a tall defender, but he's not being relied on to kick a score.

His benefit over McLean is his movement around the ground. He leads up the wings well, can slide back to take defensive marks, and he's a better backup ruckman than McLean. If you check out his heat map over the first three rounds, he's picking up a lot of possessions up the ground, particularly up the wings.

Rowbottom will return if fit, John made that clear yesterday. I suspect McInerney will go out. I agree that he looked a step slow at times.

On Blakey, there is still a headlessness about Nick which I'm waiting for him to grow out of. He lacks the poise of this year's draftees.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    It is a bit tough for the wingers with the swans current game style. There were a number of times McInerney was way out wide on his own but the kickers elected to go through the corridor. It looks like the wingers role is to drag the opposition winger out wide to open up the middle more. This means lots less touches.
    I thought that. Poor guy gets 50 metres in clear, doesn’t get used and then is considered likely to be dropped for not getting the ball enough.

But good problem to have all in all.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Yes, Sam Reid. He's like that old couch on the back verandah. Was pretty decent when you first bought it, but broken springs would
    appear from time to time and be annoying. Thought about trading it in on a new model many times, but it always seemed like too
    much trouble and the circular depression on the arms would always hold a drink without spilling. It's hard to know what to do.
    Just watching the replay for the second time and Reid played a really good game. Keeps his spot.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I thought Reid had one of his better games over the last few years on Saturday. His role forward is to provide a marking target and occupy a tall defender, but he's not being relied on to kick a score.

His benefit over McLean is his movement around the ground. He leads up the wings well, can slide back to take defensive marks, and he's a better backup ruckman than McLean. If you check out his heat map over the first three rounds, he's picking up a lot of possessions up the ground, particularly up the wings.

Rowbottom will return if fit, John made that clear yesterday. I suspect McInerney will go out. I agree that he looked a step slow at times.

On Blakey, there is still a headlessness about Nick which I'm waiting for him to grow out of. He lacks the poise of this year's draftees.
    Ease up Matt; McInerney slow, surely you're gaggin.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    I watched the replay and there were some players looking tired and cramping up in the fourth quarter.

Even the Ch 7 commentator mentioned Reid specifically at one point.

So I would suggest Reid gets managed, and one or more younger players too due to the temperature on Saturday, and any soreness which won’t be reported.

It isn’t just the best 22 each week, but also ensuring the next 5-6 are match ready and have experience come dare I say it, finals time.

Bell was listed as the R3 emergency and he could also get a game along with RB if they want to rest Wicks, Warner, Gulden or rotate McInernney.

But I agree, anyone omitted or managed this week will be very unlucky.
    I saw/heard Reid, Rampe, Kennedy, and at least one other go down with cramp during the game - they may choose to fight on, especially as they're all the senior players and our opposition are coming off a similar break, but with the luxury of a full list, they must be at least exploring some more rotations.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by SCGonasunnyday View Post
    I thought that. Poor guy gets 50 metres in clear, doesn’t get used and then is considered likely to be dropped for not getting the ball enough.

But good problem to have all in all.
    Big ground MCG. Smaller ground SCG. Need his run to break lines. Not as easy to chip around on smaller ground - need someone who can create the space for themselves. We are barking if we drop Jmac

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Ease up Matt; McInerney slow, surely you're gaggin.
    Maybe 'slow' is the wrong word. Off the pace? A step behind? Seemed to labour a bit as the game went on.

You're watching the game a second time - haven't seen any moments like that?

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast