Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 43

Thread: Hickey....anyone?

  1. #1

    Hickey....anyone?

    Probably deserves his own thread, if he doesn't have one already.

    Wow his work rate providing the extra man moving forward and his work in the ruck has been very promising.

    He burnt Nannette on the wknd for get forward ability plus he can finish a goal.

    I've been wrong about the Sydney property market last 6 months and now wrong about letting go of AA and bringing in a journeyman ruck.

    Plus so far the youth of the swans have far exceeded my thoughts on where they would be at rounds 1 to 3.

    And the change in game style that I have screamed for has come in like a tornado !

    Wow !!!!

    The last few wknds I feel like I have walked off the ski fields after a day of powder skiing. Someone has poured me a crackeding red wine and said how was ur day as I sat down next to the fire place.

  2. #2
    He’s seriously outstanding , work rate exceptional and love his grinning exuberance.

  3. #3
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    5,378
    He's been a revelation. Very competitive, works hard and has footy smarts. Very astute pick up by the club and a definite ingredient in our sudden resurgence. Bravo!

  4. #4
    Travelling Swannie!! mcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    5,911
    He has been outstanding thus far - bar perhaps the opening 5 minutes in competitive football in red and white in Brisbane where it couldn't have started more terribly! But that was just a bit of indigestion, he is serving up a la carte dining now!

    Really important we manage him physically well this season - undoubtedly he has a huge ability to be very influential in the current squad and style we are playing, but as the season wears on, we have to make sure we keep him fit and firing.

    Sometimes things just fall into place - long may it continue!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

  5. #5
    Captain of the Side Captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Northern Beaches
    Posts
    3,107
    He is actually a very nice kick for a ruckman.

  6. #6
    As much as we have benefited from the draft picks and youth development , the revitalisation from the career scrapheap player signing has always been the Swans alma mater. This guy has been picked up for what , say 350k ? Giving double that value at present.

  7. #7
    Regular in the side.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    403
    I believe that the recruitment of Hickey was a masterstroke and one of the key factors in the improvement in our game.

    Last year Sinkers battled hard all year and even though he gives 110% effort each game, is not a No1 ruckman.

  8. #8
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    He is actually a very nice kick for a ruckman.
    He hasn't missed a set shot for us.

  9. #9
    Senior Player Rod_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,108
    Impressed!

    I felt he was drafted to be competitive till Naismith was fit. Sinclair was serviceable but never a top tier ruck. Hickey number 1 at the moment and much more that just being competitive.

    We have a series of best of field at the moment.

    Recruiters - A+ grading
    Fitness coach - top award (at the moment).
    Draftee's - playing like 50 - 100 gamers in their first 3 games.
    Pike / Matthews added to our currents coaches - seasoned coaches giving us momentum
    Longmire - great ability to adapt.
    Depth that other clubs would kill for.
    Brand of footy is exciting!
    Hickey is benefitting on having Cox to teach and train him
    How do we keep a lid on this. (Week 3 champions need to play for 26 weeks..)
    Go Swans!

  10. #10
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    Impressed!

    I felt he was drafted to be competitive till Naismith was fit. Sinclair was serviceable but never a top tier ruck. Hickey number 1 at the moment and much more that just being competitive.

    We have a series of best of field at the moment.

    Recruiters - A+ grading
    Fitness coach - top award (at the moment).
    Draftee's - playing like 50 - 100 gamers in their first 3 games.
    Pike / Matthews added to our currents coaches - seasoned coaches giving us momentum
    Longmire - great ability to adapt.
    Depth that other clubs would kill for.
    Brand of footy is exciting!
    Hickey is benefitting on having Cox to teach and train him
    How do we keep a lid on this. (Week 3 champions need to play for 26 weeks..)
    Go Swans!
    Aye. Harley is doing a good job, too.

  11. #11
    Reefer Madness
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    in a yellow submarine
    Posts
    1,693
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hickey was pretty serviceable the year he had to fill in for NicNat at WCE. Before that, average.

    Right now, he's overs on all of that. Even if he drops back to pretty serviceable, it'll do me - as Naismith is a while away, and Sinclair looked to really struggle after a few years of doing heavy lifting.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Hickey was pretty serviceable the year he had to fill in for NicNat at WCE. Before that, average.

    Right now, he's overs on all of that. Even if he drops back to pretty serviceable, it'll do me - as Naismith is a while away, and Sinclair looked to really struggle after a few years of doing heavy lifting.
    Hickey has been fantastic. As long as he continues this form Naismith won’t get a look in. Hickey offers so much more - clean taps in the ruck, mobile, marks the ball both forward and back and can kick accurately for goal and passing the ball.

    In my view Naismith only offers the tapping piece.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO