Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Live: R4 V Bombers @SCG Thursday 8/4/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Have you actually been to a game at the SCG this year?
    I was there on Thursday night, but spent time at the breaks indoors.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    I will defend any crowd measure that brings fans to the games. Loud music, hot tubs or dancing as long as more people come to the football. I want the numbers.

Game style is important and I’ll tell you why. South Sydney and Sydney City are local League times that are dominating the competition and thrilling their fan bases.

If we want people to come to our games in the face of two exciting Rugby League teams, we must provide the thrilling fast moving football that delightes the crowds.

Getting a good winning record is also imperative.
    Hot tubs at the Peter Filandia Cup?.... not sure if this is going to end well.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Another extensive and insightful analysis from The Mongrel Punt

Sydney v Essendon - Good, Bad and Ugly - The Mongrel Punt
    Thanks for sharing Mark. I thought what the article said about Errol changing the momentum of the game was spot on. The Bombers seemed to have our measure up until he laid that tackle. What these kids can do already! I'm pretty excited.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    Just heard Adam Cooney on channel Seven said we are not going to make the finals. I disagree.
    Really weird time for him to make that prediction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Another extensive and insightful analysis from The Mongrel Punt

Sydney v Essendon - Good, Bad and Ugly - The Mongrel Punt
    Thanks from me also for this article link. Interesting that he thinks Tom Hickey is in AA form when he broke down his stats so far this year. Definitely exceeding all expectations.

He (along with Gerard Healy & Montagna) doesn't believe Hickey had proper prior to be deemed HTB when he grabbed the ball from the throw in. This appears to be divisive decision amongst people on this thread & in the footy world, unlike the HTB in the Geelong v Brisbane game which DID determine outcome of the game. For this reason I can't understand why the Hickey decision has gained so much attention when it occurred on our defensive 50 with 40 secs left, very hypothetical from there on. AFL backing that decision appears within reason.

On viewing replay, I'm perplexed why in the last quarter the umpire called "advantage" after Papley had stopped with his hand up after hearing whistle free paid to Buddy, who was in his kicking distance just outside 50m arc. Surely this would've got equal attention had we lost? The commentators noted the player normally gets the benefit of doubt when they stop like that.
    Last edited by KSAS; 10th April 2021 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Thanks for sharing Mark. I thought what the article said about Errol changing the momentum of the game was spot on. The Bombers seemed to have our measure up until he laid that tackle. What these kids can do already! I'm pretty excited.
    Yes, I noted that effort of Errol's earlier in the thread. And I probably shouldn't overdo the comparisons to Paul Kelly, but when Kelly was in his prime, if he was in the general vicinity of the ball, I always felt confident that he would emerge with the ball. Even if there was two or three opposition players closer to the ball than him. I'm starting to feel the way about Gulden and Warner. If they're near the ball, good things tend to happen.

And there were a few momentum changing efforts. For Essendon, Hind's sprint from half back, through the middle, to set up a goal, was certainly one. And late in the game for us, Harry Cunningham somehow forcing his way through congestion and hoisting the ball into our forward line, had me taking a breath and thinking, 'yes, we've got this.'

I also enjoy reading the Mongrel Punt reports on our games. They're much more insightful and observant, than what's dished up on the AFL site: which seems to work on a lowest common denominator principle.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Really weird time for him to make that prediction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Back in 2008, not too many people predicted that Cooney would be winning the Brownlow. Even Cooney, who I don't think attended the ceremony, did he? His, Swans won't be making the finals prediction, will probably have a similar level of accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Back in 2008, not too many people predicted that Cooney would be winning the Brownlow. Even Cooney, who I don't think attended the ceremony, did he? His, Swans won't be making the finals prediction, will probably have a similar level of accuracy.
    Did Cooney by any chance give his reasons why we won't make the 8 from here? (Not that I feel it's a certainty as yet being so early in the season, but bold just the same for him to say with certainty we won't with a 4-0 start).

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Did Cooney by any chance give his reasons why we won't make the 8 from here? (Not that I feel it's a certainty as yet being so early in the season, but bold just the same for him to say with certainty we won't with a 4-0 start).
    Dunno, I'm just replying to a comment here. If somebody else would like to fill us in?

Thanks from me also for this article link. Interesting that he thinks Tom Hickey is in AA form when he broke down his stats so far this year. Definitely exceeding all expectations.

He (along with Gerard Healy & Montagna) doesn't believe Hickey had proper prior to be deemed HTB when he grabbed the ball from the throw in. This appears to be divisive decision amongst people on this thread & in the footy world, unlike the HTB in the Geelong v Brisbane game which DID determine outcome of the game. For this reason I can't understand why the Hickey decision has gained so much attention when it occurred on our defensive 50 with 40 secs left, very hypothetical from there on. AFL backing that decision appears within reason.

On viewing replay, I'm perplexed why in the last quarter the umpire called "advantage" after Papley had stopped with his hand up after hearing whistle free paid to Buddy, who was in his kicking distance just outside 50m arc. Surely this would've got equal attention had we lost? The commentators noted the player normally gets the benefit of doubt when they stop like that.
    I remember the umpires insisting we’d taken advantage when Paps stopped immediately. Maybe they were expect the old Tom rather than the 2021 version?

From here on we need to win 8 games from the next 18 to make the finals so I would think, more of a chance to reach than not to reach finals.
    I guess we will have to see how we reach finals - limp into it because of blistering start to the season or smash into it. But our seniors will make sure that our performance is even through the year and we have a good list of players waiting to come in so I am hopeful to not just limp into the finals.
    But it’s for sure the tactics against us would be to prevent the chip passing and it will be important for us to toggle between the Longmire school and Don Pyke school of attack. But stick to the Longmire school of defence.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Dunno, I'm just replying to a comment here. If somebody else would like to fill us in?
    I think this is it? https://twitter.com/7afl/status/1380...241672705?s=21

Looks like it was made before Thursday so he was probably assuming we were going to lose to his old mob 😅