Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 5: Swans vs GWS

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    I agree with that I'd have Stephenss as the sub the only concern I have is that Stephens wasn't even an emergency last match I wonder if there's something there with him maybe with Fitness that the club has not told the public about
    If you read the comments from Laidler in the EFL match report - which are far longer for Stephens than for anyone else - it sounds like they are working hard on some specific aspects of his game. Those comments suggest to me that they see him as a pretty important player in the long term but just want to make sure he is equipped to make the most of his attributes at senior level. The references to moving from inside to the outside echo comments Warner has made about things he was asked to work on.

Ins

Will Hayward
    James Rowbottom

Outs

Heeney
    Logan McDonald

If Blakey or Mills have tribunal problem then it’s Stephens.

Hayward can play a defensive forward role against Nike Haynes. Stop Haynes intercept marking. Rest McDonald and bring him back for Suns.

Rowbottom comes back to the midfield with Luke Parker (brilliant one on one) to spend more time forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Ins

Will Hayward
    James Rowbottom

Outs

Heeney
    Logan McDonald

If Blakey or Mills have tribunal problem then it’s Stephens..
    They’ve both received fines.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Ins

Will Hayward
    James Rowbottom

Outs

Heeney
    Logan McDonald

If Blakey or Mills have tribunal problem then it’s Stephens.

Hayward can play a defensive forward role against Nike Haynes. Stop Haynes intercept marking. Rest McDonald and bring him back for Suns.

Rowbottom comes back to the midfield with Luke Parker (brilliant one on one) to spend more time forward.
    Hayward did do a great job on Haynes last year. Does that mean he’s the only one who can? Not sure.

RB will have been out for a month so might be getting over his bone bruising, but as someone else mentioned might be out of condition if he’s been unable to run.

Think it will be a very interesting selection next week with tired players, 9 day break and players pushing for selection.

Would like to see Stephens, Ling, Gould (remember him) get a run soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Stephens - pace, endurance, foot skills
    The longer Stephens spends in the reserves the more elite he becomes. He’ll be a Brownlow medalist before even playing a senior game.

I’m not having a dig at him but I think we are a bit high on just a few games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Buddy in the team and playing so close to goal, I think we could go smaller in the forward line, as the other tall forwards are mostly running up and down the ground looking to take a mark in the midfield. So I would consider dropping McDonald and playing Blakey as forward.

Replace Heeney with Hayward, which seems the natural replacement.

Replace Hewett with Melican, who got a BOG rating from Laidler. I think Melican or another of our tall defenders is a better option than Hewett. Melican is bigger, stronger and faster. He can take to biggest of the opposition forwards allowing more freedom to McCartin, Rampe and Dawson.

Suspended by the MRP
    Hope we dont go back to Hayward and Melican. 5th and 6th year players in the 2s , theres a reason they were dropped in the first place

Bell is a superb tackling and pressure fwd , he can stay in for Heeney. Stephens for Blakey , no brainer . Like for like playing on the wing.

And here we go, round and round the same old mulberry bush....
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I reckon Finlayson will come back into the GWS team defence to stop our tall timber. Not sure of lachie Whitfield. If he is back then it would be an arm wrestle. He is probably their biggest player in terms of getting them forward. If he and finlayson are not brought in we are going to smash them.
    Their on all brigade is not too bad. If we can keep their wingers in check , they don’t have the speed to hurt us. Also If they get smashed by Collingwood they may just fold against us.
    We need fresh players for this one coz if we win we may end up being top of the ladder by round 6.
    Rest whoever needs a rest or is banged up. Logan and Campbell are the obvious ones. Or they can play at SCG and rest the following week.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    They’ve both received fines.
    Anyone else see the video of Heeney breaking his hand throwing a punch. My son showed it to me.
    Last edited by liz; 10th April 2021 at 06:48 PM. Reason: fixed quotation formatting

Rowbottom in for Heeney that’s it

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Happy to read these comments.

Bell was OK. Not fantastic, not woeful. He was involved in a few nice passages of play, and had a couple of moments he'd like back. Every player can say that last bit.

I don't think he's in our best 22 (at least at the moment) but I do think he's a valuable squad member who can come in and contribute when the injuries start to mount up.

He's also still got just a handful of games under his belt, so there's plenty of scope for improvement, if he gets the opportunities. Those writing him off as "not up to required AFL standard" are way off base.
    Very pointed and noted.....and I don't agree. Very weird that he is ahead of Stephens (and a few others for that matter).

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast