Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round 4: the other games. Our work here is done.

Geelong have a few injuries. I'll reserve judgement until cameron and danger get back in.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    After 4 rounds, the top 3 teams are Bulldogs, Melbourne and SWANNIES. Wonder if those 3 clubs have ever held the top 3 spots before?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    After 4 rounds, the top 3 teams are Bulldogs, Melbourne and SWANNIES. Wonder if those 3 clubs have ever held the top 3 spots before?
    Wonder no more! This has occurred on the following occasions.

SeasonRoundTop 3
    19452Melbourne/Sydney/Footscray
    19985Sydney/Footscray/Melbourne
    19986Sydney/Footscray/Melbourne
    19987Sydney/Footscray/Melbourne
    19988Footscray/Sydney/Melbourne
    20213Footscray/Sydney/Melbourne

Note: data from AFL Tables so South Melbourne = Sydney, Western Bulldogs = Footscray.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post

SeasonRoundTop 3

Note: data from AFL Tables so South Melbourne = Sydney, Western Bulldogs = Footscray.
    Very fleeting.

There were a couple of instances of staging in the Melbourne v Geelong game, that I hope will attract fines from the tribunal, but I doubt will, since there doesn't to be much comment about them.

One was late in the game, when a long kick went into the Geelong forward line. Moving towards the ball drop were Stanley, who was being closely followed by Gawn. It then seemed that Stanley was impeded. The umpire gives a free, causing an obviously flabbergasted reaction from Gawn. The replay showed why that reaction was appropriate. It started with Gawn's hands lightly touching Stanley's hips. He then moved his hands away, as they started running. Stanley then threw his body back, as if he had been grabbed. The replay strongly suggested that Gawn hadn't done anything to impede Stanley.

Whoops, accidentally pushed post. I'll continue.

While I can grudgingly accept players accentuating contact that has actually occurred, I really don't like them pretending that contact has occurred. It's just cheating and should be punished.

The other incident happened earlier in the game, when Selwood was penalised for a high tackle on Spargo. However, replays showed that Spargo had thrown his head back, as if it had been hit, well before any contact had been made. Then when contact was made, it didn't appear to be around the head. At first, I had a bit of a chuckle, at Selwood being penalised for a high tackle, but then I thought, no, that sort of blatant staging should be punished.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post

SeasonRoundTop 3

Wow! Thanks for that reply neilfws! I'll be referring all of my enquiries about stats to you from now on!

I remember 1998, it looked so good at the start, then went south further into the season. The last shot of the Roos,Lockett,Kelly era

Round 4: the other games. Our work here is done.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I remember 1998, it looked so good at the start, then went south further into the season. The last shot of the Roos,Lockett,Kelly era
    Was it the Crows that eliminated us from the finals that year, at the SCG of all places? Very heartbreaking season.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    It's hard to say what's up with them. It could be the slow start that teams who go deep into the finals often have; since they're still bashing away, while other teams are already recovering from the season. But on the other hand, many teams seem keen to move the ball quicker, to take advantage of the new rules. Geelong don't seem to be interested in doing that. Maybe they think a slower style suits their players better? Maybe it shows a lack of imagination? Who knows? Perhaps somebody should ask Chris Scott at his press conference?
    I've been expecting Geelong to make a significant fall down the ladder in the next couple of years, as in not making the finals. All their best players are over 30 and retirements and injuries will take their toll. I wasn't expecting it to happen this year, but it could already be happening.

Geelong's recruitment has been short-term, focused on "win the flag now", without considering that their prospects in the longer term are dire. After their aging stars retire with no young players to replace them, I expect they will finish close to the bottom four in the next few years.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Whoops, accidentally pushed post. I'll continue.

While I can grudgingly accept players accentuating contact that has actually occurred, I really don't like them pretending that contact has occurred. It's just cheating and should be punished.

The other incident happened earlier in the game, when Selwood was penalised for a high tackle on Spargo. However, replays showed that Spargo had thrown his head back, as if it had been hit, well before any contact had been made. Then when contact was made, it didn't appear to be around the head. At first, I had a bit of a chuckle, at Selwood being penalised for a high tackle, but then I thought, no, that sort of blatant staging should be punished.
    Selwood would have sacrificed every dollar he’s ever made in footy from those sort of fines

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Was it the Crows that eliminated us from the finals that year, at the SCG of all places? Very heartbreaking season.
    I cant remember without looking it up. All I recall is we kind of limped into the finals, and were out pretty quick. Premiership success looked another 70 years away at that point....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast