Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Money Kick (AFL360) and other indicators of winning

Slightly off topic but I caught on SEN last week another stat being discussed that has recently come into vogue, of players who played at least 50% in the ruck and averaged over 1 goal a game for the season. Before this season, it was last achieved by 8 ruckmen during either the 2012 or 2013 seasons. I was pleasantly surprised to hear Mike Pyke was 1 of the 4 ruckmen to achieve this in 2013.

On reflection I do recall Pyke's 2012 GF performance (particularly the last qtr minus Mummy) was like a breakout game for him which extended to the following season & beyond. Can easily overlook the impact of Mike Pyke's career other than the 2012 GF. Pity his "Open Pyke" interviews didn't last long
    Last edited by KSAS; 21st April 2021 at 10:16 AM.

Keeping Pyke and losing Mummy was one of the great recruiting mistakes of the mid 2010's. We make quite a few during that 2-3 year block.
    Seems to have got back on track now.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Keeping Pyke and losing Mummy was one of the great recruiting mistakes of the mid 2010's. We make quite a few during that 2-3 year block.
    Yes, Mumford. Who would have thought. He is like The Terminator, he will not lay down. And then there is his new look. Shaved head AND
    a mo. It's not pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    It was an impact of acquiring Buddy and Tippett. Mummy would have been a much bigger and longer contract than Pyke.
    Having said that tough, we really noticed the impact the moment he left. The space he creates for midfielders by throwing his weight around a contest is hard to play against

I’m getting a sense of déjà vu

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Having said that tough, we really noticed the impact the moment he left.
    By making the GF in 2014 and 2016?

I wonder how many games have been lost to Mummification. It must be a big number. Went up by around 8 games with Hickey added to the tally.

Every game is a danger game when Mummy is playing. And it doesn't even matter whose side you're on.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    By making the GF in 2014 and 2016?
    We got completely manhandled in 2014. We lost by 10 goals, and it's hard to argue that Mummy would have changed such a significant margin, against such a great team.
    But, there was a moment when we were down by a goal in the first quarter, boundary throw in, our defensive 50. Roughead destroys Hannebry. Breaks him in half, and they kick a goal from it, and we get opened up from there.
    I don't think that kind of moment happens in a team with Mummy. He was so physical, and brought players with him. We wouldn't have gotten to physically beaten up that day with him in the team.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    We got completely manhandled in 2014. We lost by 10 goals, and it's hard to argue that Mummy would have changed such a significant margin, against such a great team.
    But, there was a moment when we were down by a goal in the first quarter, boundary throw in, our defensive 50. Roughead destroys Hannebry. Breaks him in half, and they kick a goal from it, and we get opened up from there.
    I don't think that kind of moment happens in a team with Mummy. He was so physical, and brought players with him. We wouldn't have gotten to physically beaten up that day with him in the team.
    Some truth in that. They physically hammered us including McEvoy belting Jetta. Mummy missed that day.

Senior Player
    I think both the Swans and GWS were/are better teams with Mummy than without him. He is an intimidating player and a lot more skilled than
    he gets credit for. A pretty handy guy to have in your team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Every game is a danger game when Mummy is playing. And it doesn't even matter whose side you're on.
    I don't know. I suspect that about 90% of his 'accidents' injure the opposition.

Veterans List
    The Money Kick went missing on Saturday. We missed easy targets, had no daring and hit the opposition on the chest. Money kicks indeed, but who for?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast