Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 5: the other games. Form, it's a mysterious thing.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Interpretate! WTF and then he doubled down with Interpretating! He's supposed to be one of the more intelligent amongst the world of ex footballers, turning their hand to commentating.

I can't deal with such dumbness!!
    The thing is Jobe is one of the brighter ex players. It's just the way it is. Best not to expect too much from them, because you won't
    get it. And what a boring game, I turned it off at half time.
    Last edited by KTigers; 16th April 2021 at 04:43 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Wowee. He's a shocker ... hope it's not all the head knocks cause he can barely string a sentence together.
    If ever there was a case for someone letting their football do the talking, it's poor old Joel. I've always been worried about him and
    early onset dementia, but it might already be a bit late. Or perhaps he's just been mentored by Luke Darcy.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Up there with "instinctual"
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I was struck watching tonight's game how many of St Kilda's team - their core players - are imports from other clubs. Steele, Crouch, Hill, Higgins, Butler, Membrey, Carlisle, Howard who all played tonight, plus Jones, Hannebery, and Ryder who would all be automatic selections if fit, and McKernan, Frawley and Wood who aren't in their best team but are likely amongst the best of their depth.

Doesn't say much for their drafting nous over the last decade or so......................
    Read that Carlton are trying to lure Adam Cerra away from Freo. Reading your post about the Saints being a foreign legion of players, without looking at their list, I reckon Carlton is very similar, using cheque book recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

Nice one, MW! Love it.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Heard a St Kilda caller on SEN today scathing of the trading of Hanners and Jones to St Kilda.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Heard a St Kilda caller on SEN today scathing of the trading of Hanners and Jones to St Kilda.
    The trading to, or the trading in? Presumably the latter. The trading out is looking like a decent piece of business (albeit slightly sad in the case of Hanners, purely from a sentimental perspective, given he was a warrior for us for several seasons).

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The trading to, or the trading in? Presumably the latter. The trading out is looking like a decent piece of business (albeit slightly sad in the case of Hanners, purely from a sentimental perspective, given he was a warrior for us for several seasons).
    Agreed. Very similar to the trading out of Malceski to GC. Devastating on an emotional level; brilliant list management otherwise.

Senior Player
    Obviously St Kilda trading in Hannebery was a big risk for them considering his body was very much broken at the time. It's not like they
    didn't know. I think he has only played about a dozen games for them in two and a bit seasons. His body is wrecked because of what
    he did for us over many years. I have a framed photo of the Malceski goal in the 2012 GF and the expression on Hanners face is priceless.
    It's hard not to have a soft spot for him.

I've been critical of the Saints' list management strategy, especially the for what they gave up to recruit Brad Hill and the cost of the Hanners contract, but had to admit last year that it all seemed to be coming together for them from their high priced recruits to rookie draft picks, like Rowan Marshall.

This year things have turned on its head. Everything appears to be going wrong, from injuries to poor form. It's hard to believe how a player with Hill's credentials and proven ability can fall off the rails so quickly. It's almost as if he's lost his ability to play footy at the most rudimentary level.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I've been critical of the Saints' list management strategy, especially the for what they gave up to recruit Brad Hill and the cost of the Hanners contract, but had to admit last year that it all seemed to be coming together for them from their high priced recruits to rookie draft picks, like Rowan Marshall.

This year things have turned on its head. Everything appears to be going wrong, from injuries to poor form. It's hard to believe how a player with Hill's credentials and proven ability can fall off the rails so quickly. It's almost as if he's lost his ability to play footy at the most rudimentary level.
    I reckon he was supposed to be the icing on the cake. Unfortunately the list is now stacked with players who think that they are all icing on the cake and no one is doing the hard stuff. Again quality of a player doesn’t go down that quickly without losing fitness, so it has to be structural to how they set up and how they are being coached. Maybe there is overcoaching.

They will need to get players who want to go to St kilda coz they think they can play their best footy rather than get the best money.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Obviously St Kilda trading in Hannebery was a big risk for them considering his body was very much broken at the time. It's not like they
    didn't know. I think he has only played about a dozen games for them in two and a bit seasons. His body is wrecked because of what
    he did for us over many years. I have a framed photo of the Malceski goal in the 2012 GF and the expression on Hanners face is priceless.
    It's hard not to have a soft spot for him.
    Great player for us for a decade

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast