Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: There will be a Sydney Swans AFLW team in the 2022-23 season

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Mel, I didn’t post the link to the SMH article (cos I was nervous re link issues) but do a search for:

“Swans set to use rugby league’s inner west ‘jewel’ as AFLW home ground”

There is a hint in the article that the new facility might get resurrected. The issue was financial following the collapse of funding in 2020 due to Covid. I would think the financial issue has got worse this year but perhaps they have found a very generous donor?
    Will be really interesting to see where it lands. In a lot of ways, it makes potentially a lot of sense as a home for the AFLW team - because it could very nicely align season wise (in broad terms - would be some crossover probably) with the Jets use of the ground.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    No Ludwig no!
    The decision to play AFL is a decision that can only be made by the individual - regardless of gender. It cannot be made for that individual by anyone else.
    During the first season of ALFW I wondered what would happen when the first woman left the ground with a a badly broken leg or bloody facial gash.
    Having watched my goddaughter and niece both play, I've come to the belated realisation of what an idiot I was being. The decision to play is just as much their decision as it was mine when I was younger. In them I saw the same determination, same fears and same willingness as I witnessed with my own peers. Their bodies their choice - anything else is pure BS.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 29th August 2021 at 05:32 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    Mel, I didn’t post the link to the SMH article (cos I was nervous re link issues) but do a search for:

“Swans set to use rugby league’s inner west ‘jewel’ as AFLW home ground”

There is a hint in the article that the new facility might get resurrected. The issue was financial following the collapse of funding in 2020 due to Covid. I would think the financial issue has got worse this year but perhaps they have found a very generous donor?
    Thanks Meg, I read the article in the Age this morning. I'm also curious how it will be funded.

Senior Player
    As long as they don't touch the outside of the grandstand. Fix up the rooms underneath, sure, but don't touch the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    As long as they don't touch the outside of the grandstand. Fix up the rooms underneath, sure, but don't touch the outside.
    If you type this in it should pull up a story with the artist’s impression of what they’re planning to do ..it seems like the grandstand is staying intact which is great
    Type this and search
    Swans set to use rugby league’s inner west ‘jewel’ as AFLW home ground

Ps by the way just out of lucky accident last time I was there stumbled upon the tennis club and Portuguese social club right by Henson Park ..lovely food

Veteran Site Admin
    'I fell into it': Footy a family affair for Bronwyn Gulden

Here's a feature piece on one of the girls' academy assistant coaches (and Swans VIP in a broader sense).

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Here's a feature piece on one of the girls' academy assistant coaches (and Swans VIP in a broader sense).
    Great article …I wonder if she has an interest in the AFLW side coaching role
    I imagine the Swans will hopefully give an opportunity to a female coach

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

No wonder the Gulden junior family members are an impressive lot with a role-model mother like this - what a woman!

I love that she fulfilled one of her dreams by making her footy playing debut this year - she surely is at least 40yo (noting Adam and Errol’s ages)?

This also made me laugh:

"It's been a bit tricky watching him (Errol) on tv, but he's living his best life down there (Melbourne) and he assures us he misses us, but I'm not entirely sure.”

Lol, I’ve suspected that lockdown ‘bubble’ footy both last year and this has been tough on the older players (particularly those with families and home commitments) - and a ball of fun for the young guys!

Senior Player
    No wonder the Gulden junior family members are an impressive lot with a role-model mother like this - what a woman!

I love that she fulfilled one of her dreams by making her footy playing debut this year - she surely is at least 40yo (noting Adam and Errol’s ages)?
    I believe she is 55. What an inspiration! Never too late.

Bron's childhood dream realised

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I believe she is 55. What an inspiration! Never too late.

Bron's childhood dream realised
    You’re right - from that article: ‘She proved age is all but a number when last month she made her football debut at 55-years of age for the UNSW Bulldogs reserves side in the AFL Sydney league.’

Truly amazing!

Further good news for both the Swans teams with the announcement today that the Swans HQ project is back on Sydney Swans HQ at the Royal Hall of Industries
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I find it upsetting how medical evidence of the dangers of women playing football have been ignored. Women are physiologically much more vulnerable to getting concussion than men are, and the damage caused by concussion in women is also worse. There are other health risks which are greater for women playing contact sports. Women should be discouraged from playing sports with a high incidence of concussion.

For those who an interested in this subject, I suggest listening to this podcast from Nature Magazine

Audio long-read: why sports concussions are worse for women

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast