Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
I'm really torn and disappointed by this offering from the club. I am very excited to have our own AFLW team, and I intend to support it passionately. I would like to be involved from the outset - but to be asked to pay $50 for a certificate saying I was one of the first supporters just seems like a gimmick with no substance. And I'm sorry because I would like to be on board from the beginning but I don't want to just feel used or taken advantage of.

It's not I was expecting more games (in fact I think that's a bit of a cheap shot) - but there aren't actually any games included. I have no problem with paying to attend games, and I have no problems with paying for a membership that covers attendance at games. If this is just an opportunity to make a donation then I wish they'd be a bit clearer about that, and possibly also explain how the money will be used. Not even the video aardvark has posted makes it clear how the money will be spent - it just talks about the journey towards entering the competition and how exciting it will be to have our own team (which I agree with). Still, it's easy to imagine that the money will be used to support the AFLW program (you would hope!).

Maybe if I can just think of it as an opportunity to make a donation to the cause and show my support from the beginning (rather than as if they are treating me like someone really superficial and selling me something gimmicky) I will be able to talk myself into signing up.
I think the club has been fairly open and upfront about the nature of the foundation membership. Fact is we are 18 months (or thereabouts) off the AFLW team playing their first match - that in itself given memberships are annual deals usually (noting the Swans did have that 5 year option for some members earlier this year) should really highlight to some degree the nature of what the 'foundation membership' is about.

I suspect they didn't go down the 'donation' talk sort of route on the basis that I expect the Swans Foundation is probably likely to launch a much larger and broader donation drive to help fund the training facility development.

But yes, agree they could of said a bit more about what they intend to spend the money on.