Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: There will be a Sydney Swans AFLW team in the 2022-23 season

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne

There will be a Sydney Swans AFLW team in the 2022-23 season

Expansion talks, potential club compo on cards at next Commission meeting
    AFL Commission will meet on May 12, with AFLW expansion clubs being one of two items on the AFLW agenda. There won't be expansion in 2022, but a 2023 expansion is possible.

Sydney Swans do not have an AFLW side yet, but has an Academy for girls. Watch our Swans Academy girls in action

Port Adelaide are the other club without an AFLW side that may be well placed to enter the competition, due to the strength of the Adelaide AFLW side.

Are the Sydney Swans ready to add an AFLW side?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

All depends on whether we sort out the Royal Hall of Industries and get that back on track.

While there is no facilities for them it's unlikely we'll be included in the next intake. It's a shame really as our best u/19 girls will probably get picked up by GWS. Jess Doyle, Maddy Hendrie and Issy McLeay all had excellent games in the U/19 Championships this week.
    Last edited by aardvark; 15th April 2021 at 10:46 PM.

I would prefer we wait longer. At the moment AFLW would be a loss maker for us and there would be poor crowds.

Having the academy is a fantastic start and gives us the best foundation for when we eventually get a team. It also means the quality of the overall competition should have improved by the time we play.

can Sydney (the city) supply enough quality players for 2 teams?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    can Sydney (the city) supply enough quality players for 2 teams?
    Well, there are 6 million people so I figure probably. Swans badly missed the boat on this and it's quite likely there won't be further expansion for some time. A real shame.

AFL has just announced that all 18 teams will have an AFLW side by the end of 2023. So, the most likely scenario is that we field our first side in the competition that starts in December 2022.

Pleased that we will have a team, less enthused by the December start. Let's just hope it's played as a night competition, otherwise heat stress could be a real problem.

Why, o, why, do we have a separate forum for women's footy? And, mods, since we do have a separate forum for women's footy, why is this thread permitted to stay here. My vote is to merge the women's footy into the main footy chat, especially in so far as it relates to the club having an AFLW team.

Great news that the AFLW is not going to overlap with the AFL season any more (and will make the off-season more bearable) and will give the women clear air. Tough for the players though, playing in summer! Especially in Qld!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    My vote is to merge the women's footy into the main footy chat, especially in so far as it relates to the club having an AFLW team.
    +1 If our friends over on the Big Footy board can cope with Women's footy on their main page surely the much more civilized participants on RWO can cope.
    Last edited by aardvark; 13th May 2021 at 05:15 PM.

Veterans List
    Deleted......missed the point.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 13th May 2021 at 02:26 PM.

The mods have a strong tradition of using other sparsely populated boards to bury topics they don't like.

Surprised they have done that with woman's footy, but old habits die hard I guess.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The mods have a strong tradition of using other sparsely populated boards to bury topics they don't like.

Surprised they have done that with woman's footy, but old habits die hard I guess.
    Give them a chance Barry....as it becomes more relevant to Swans fans, ie: we actually have a team to talk about, the mod's may (and should) move it onto the main board.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast