Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes Round 6 V Gold Coast Suns

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    I think that’s a little harsh on “The Bloods”.

We all have our favourite players and players we don’t like so much.

I’m not a big fan of fan favourite Wicks. Im probably harsher on Wicks than players I like such as Rowbottom, Dawson and J Mac.

In cricket I loved watching Mitchell Johnson play while others didn’t like him so much. In the NFL I love the dynamic ability of Lamar Jackson while other fans like different QBs.

We all have our favourites who we want to do well. With these favourites we forgive their mistakes and rejoice their success.

With our least favourites we magnify their mistakes and give a luke warm response to their success.

“The Bloods” is only human.

I challenge any fan on this forum to tell me they treat every player the same and that they have zero bias in their opinions.
    Happy to agree we all have varying opinions of different players - I've never seen anyone suggest that isn't the case.

However most of us don't go on Alexander the Great-esque campaigns to rip a player to shreds at every opportunity either - if you don't believe me, look back through the posts history if you must and you'll see exactly what I mean.

In this case, this particular player would have to do something extraordinarily good to even get a slither of something approaching the positive side of neutral, yet those for which a more favourable disposition is held, almost anything goes because they play with the right 'style', 'dynamism' or whatever qualitative nonsense is this weeks buzzword.

The grand canyon isn't wide enough to describe the gulf in the difference between the two ends of the spectrum - it is far beyond the normal level of variability most have across players.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    “The Bloods” is only human.
    Do you have proof?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Do you have proof?
    LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Well i was there and i can tell you at least 15 other blokes gave him a lesson in work rate. Some of his efforts were plain lazy and his body language stunk. Played like he knew he was the coaches pet and it looks like he was right.
    I have defended you for thoughts on Rowbottom even though i strongly disagree with them. But this is too far now, TB. You are now questioning his character - lazy, body language ? Its not ok. Do you know him personally?? Maybe you do! It might explain your vengeful posts about him. Tell us! If you do know him and he has done something to you that is so worthy of your hate then by all means - tell us!! It could illuminate us. Who knows we might even agree with you ??

But if you are not willing to share and you want to keep taking pot shots at what he does on the field then you are on your own. & i mean that! It will be hard to convince anyone to join your agenda! Jimmy is a popular figure at the club, loved by the bloods supporters and you are right he is a coaches pet - because hes a darn good player who does what is asked of him!!

The caustic tone of your posts borders on bullying. You have it out for this guy and its not nice and it makes me uncomfortable to read. You dont know a thing about what a young footballer goes through especially an interstate kid away from home. How much work they put into it. The good he does for others at the club. You dont know the half of it. It is nasty armchair critic stuff.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I won't be surprised if we see both in, based on Longmire's press conference after the game. He seemed resigned to the fact that McDonald might need a break, and he was also quick to name both Amartey and McLean when the journo mentioned Sinclair's name. They can each split the forward and ruck roles between them, with a little support from Reid, if need be. Longmire also observed that, while Reid did a pretty good job filling in for Hickey, it meant we didn't have him as a forward target.
    Just listened to yesterday's presser. John maintained his hedge re Sinclair; mentioned dealing with the challenge of 'this week'.

I appreciate your heartfelt words, NeonBible. FWIW, although TheBloods plays the ball and not the man, expresses her/his presumably sincere opinions and gives reasons (which is all great), I also feel uncomfortable and don't enjoy reading many of TB's posts.

Changing gears, I was thinking about who our most indispensable (not best) players are right now. This idea has regard to a players' form and injuries and their leadership, and the other player's at the club who can collectively or individually cover what that player does. Here is the list in order that I came up with:

Hickey - has added so much to our team. His replacements are not expected to do anywhere near as well.
    Rampe - great player individually and critical to organising our backline. Since we lost Teddy, Reg, Macca & Smooch and then Mills from our backline, it's taking a while to rebuild the experience and leadership to that unit and Rampe's role is more than usually important.
    McCartin - our only other reliable KPD, extra-important now that Rampe is out
    Reid - currently mining a wonderful vein of form, so versatile going down back and into the ruck as required, experienced, and one of our remaining talented talls
    Parker - heart and soul leader of the club
    Mills - performing a huge and indispensable role in the midfield so well he could not easily be replaced, despite our depth in his position
    JPK - another heart and soul leader of the club (these last three are all among our best players but, together with the younger players, could cover for one another's absence)
    Dawson - hugely talented, hugely versatile, relatively tall and a capable defender. We need him at the moment. Should probably be a bit higher on this list.

I haven't included Buddy despite his supreme talents, his valuable leadership and his height (!) because we have shown we can get by without him pretty well, including our best wins of the season. Heeney also not included. Hayward did a great job of filling the void. In general I feel like the front half we have reasonably well covered. If some went down others within the team could be shifted forward (e.g. Hewett, Dawson, Campbell) and there are other small backs who could come in (COR, Ling etc).

What do others think? Have I got it right or wrong?
    A bit unfortunate that our injuries have hit arguably our two least dispensable players.
    Also a bit sad that it is hard to find a spot in the 22 for Stephens given that he isthe player outside the 22 who many of us would most like to get in.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Well i was there and i can tell you at least 15 other blokes gave him a lesson in work rate. Some of his efforts were plain lazy and his body language stunk. Played like he knew he was the coaches pet and it looks like he was right.
    I watched it on Kayo, yes he didn't set the world on fire but as he was coming off what, a two/three week break for an injury that could have had him out for a longer period. The bandaging on his knee looked like they were straight out of the Tutankhamun wrapping school. Perhaps the coaches/medical staff instructions were to get through the game and not jeopardise his recovery, plus get his confidence back that his knee will stand up.
    sprite

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    I watched it on Kayo, yes he didn't set the world on fire but as he was coming off what, a two/three week break for an injury that could have had him out for a longer period. The bandaging on his knee looked like they were straight out of the Tutankhamun wrapping school. Perhaps the coaches/medical staff instructions were to get through the game and not jeopardise his recovery, plus get his confidence back that his knee will stand up.
    Precisely. Anybody who has followed footy for more than 15 minutes will know that first 18 players like James R will be told to take it easy in
    their twos game after an injury before coming back into the team the following week.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Just listened to yesterday's presser. John maintained his hedge re Sinclair; mentioned dealing with the challenge of 'this week'.
    It’s a danger game. Suns have been roasted through the week for lack of effort and we saw what happened with st kilda the week after they were roasted. Suns still have genuine talent on the list and they are playing on Metricon. I reckon they will be up for it.

We cannot have too many experiments in this game. Just go under radar, get the win and then reassess. I know some of you have suggested that this is an experiment year anyways. Yes it is but not throwin in the towel like the suns do or st kilda do. We need to be full on and get the win to keep the motivation to compete against the best.

Hence get Sinclair in even if he is not the best, we know what he will give. Sinclair and Reid should be fine. Not sure how far Sam Naismith is away for. I thought he is training well, so hopefully in 4-6 weeks through reserves?

I will be very surprised if Sinclair does not come in to replace Hickey. Sinclair is an experienced player and known quantity. While its dubious whether he will be part of our future post this season, he is a safe pair of hands. Armetey would be a big gamble who I would only go to if Sinclair struggles. McLean is not a genuine ruckman in my view but rather a marking forward who can help out in the ruck when needed. He is a good chance to come in to replace Bud. I will be interested to see if they rest McDonald this week. Rowbottom is an obvious inclusion provided he is 100% fit.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I appreciate your heartfelt words, NeonBible. FWIW, although TheBloods plays the ball and not the man, expresses her/his presumably sincere opinions and gives reasons (which is all great), I also feel uncomfortable and don't enjoy reading many of TB's posts.

Changing gears, I was thinking about who our most indispensable (not best) players are right now. This idea has regard to a players' form and injuries and their leadership, and the other player's at the club who can collectively or individually cover what that player does. Here is the list in order that I came up with:

Hickey - has added so much to our team. His replacements are not expected to do anywhere near as well.
    Rampe - great player individually and critical to organising our backline. Since we lost Teddy, Reg, Macca & Smooch and then Mills from our backline, it's taking a while to rebuild the experience and leadership to that unit and Rampe's role is more than usually important.
    McCartin - our only other reliable KPD, extra-important now that Rampe is out
    Reid - currently mining a wonderful vein of form, so versatile going down back and into the ruck as required, experienced, and one of our remaining talented talls
    Parker - heart and soul leader of the club
    Mills - performing a huge and indispensable role in the midfield so well he could not easily be replaced, despite our depth in his position
    JPK - another heart and soul leader of the club (these last three are all among our best players but, together with the younger players, could cover for one another's absence)
    Dawson - hugely talented, hugely versatile, relatively tall and a capable defender. We need him at the moment. Should probably be a bit higher on this list.

I haven't included Buddy despite his supreme talents, his valuable leadership and his height (!) because we have shown we can get by without him pretty well, including our best wins of the season. Heeney also not included. Hayward did a great job of filling the void. In general I feel like the front half we have reasonably well covered. If some went down others within the team could be shifted forward (e.g. Hewett, Dawson, Campbell) and there are other small backs who could come in (COR, Ling etc).

What do others think? Have I got it right or wrong?
    A bit unfortunate that our injuries have hit arguably our two least dispensable players.
    Also a bit sad that it is hard to find a spot in the 22 for Stephens given that he isthe player outside the 22 who many of us would most like to get in.
    I think the above list is pretty accurate. I'd probably put Rampe above Hickey, only because of what he does to organise that back half. I don't think the rest of the back 6 come close to his voice and coordination, and he leaves a significant void.

I actually think Wicks and Papley might deserve to be there, as our 2021 game style really hinges on their style of play. Fast moving forwards, capable of taking a good mark on the head, highly skilled and bringing pressure.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    Understand this, but no idea how it is supposed to prepare him for AFL footy if he is treating a vfl match like a training run. He wont be able to get away with the half baked stuff he was doing on saturday. Will be badly exposed. So either he was being lazy and not showing the VFL game and his opponents respect , or he was taking it easy because he wasnt 100% done with his recovery. Neither sounds like a player who should be walking back into top tier footy.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast