Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes Round 6 V Gold Coast Suns

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    [Sounds like Rowbottom a definite in]

As he should be when he is fit. I don't know what people want to drop/rest McDonald with Franklin out. He played against men last year.
    Agree. McDonald definitely now stays in with Buddy out. If he's a bit tired, he's just going to have to step up.....Bloods style.

Outs: Hickey, Buddy, McDonald

Ins: Rowbottom, McLean, Sinclair

McLean & Sinclair is a like for like (much poorer version) for Buddy & Hickey. Rowbottom needs to come in. Who makes way? McInerney came in for Rowbottom when Rowy went out (didn't he?) but I'm reluctant to drop JMac now. It's probably gotta be one of: JMac, Blakey, Wicks, Warner or McDonald. Dropping Campbell doesn't solve the problem unless you push one of those players back there in his place, which I wouldn't do - I think Campbell is better in that role than they are). I'm not prepared to consider dropping Gulden. Of these it's hard to pick. Blakey has the big potential but is the least consistent. Warner is most similar to Rowbottom but has been mostly excellent. Wicks is the least heralded but has been excellent this year although, like Warner, he was a bit quieter last weekend. On the other hand Wicks is probably a bit more seasoned and mature of body. McInerney has been good and is building but perhaps he is the 'easiest' player to drop. But actually, in a last minute change of heart, I've decided to spell Logan McDonald instead of dropping Blakey and to let Parker and Kennedy alternate spending time forward and just lose a bit of height. The Suns are low on form and hopefully we can spare one of our captains from spending most of his time on ball this week. Both Kennedy and, especially, Parker are good marks and decent kicks for goal.

I agree that it is frustrating that we have some roles where we have an oversupply of good players (Hewett having to play in the back line and Stephens, COR and Ling among others missing out on games) but in other areas (tall players) we lack depth. It's hard to get that perfect list balance but that's what we need to aim for over the next couple of off-seasons.

It's fortunate that the next couple of weeks we face clubs with weaker rucks. Then again it could have been a major advantage for us that now we won't have.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Danger game!

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I was shocked to see Buddy being our designated ruckman a couple of times. Seems a very high risk strategy for such a valuable asset.
    I think he only took a couple up forward, the centre square is where the real danger is. As Dawson is 3 inshes shorter than Buddy, I regard his use in the centre square a waste of a valuable asset AND a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I was listening to the ABC radio coverage of the game, featuring Tadhg Kennelly and Ryan O'Keefe. Tadhg reminisced back to when he was on the coaching staff and how he suggested, that it might be a good idea if Buddy did a bit of the ruck work. Apparently Longmire gave him a very bemused look and questioned Tadhg's grasp of asset management.
    I remember the '03 final against Port Adelaide, Steven Doyle went down very early in the game and Adam Goodes rucked unaided until he was exhausted, where upon Barry Hall took over the ruck duties for as long as he could - by which time Goodsey was back.
    Buddy taking his turn in the ruck, raised him in my estimation. It's a pity he was injured in general play, but I don't believe it was ruck related.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Most, if not all of us thought that Hickey was a bit of a dud buy, possibly not even better than Sinclair. He certainly proved us wrong and hopefully, Cal will show us all some good form. He has had periods where he has been really competitive, often carrying the ruck division on his own. This time, he will have McLean and Reid to support him. Might even kick a few goals resting forward for us. I'm happy we at least have some depth in the position this year and are not dependent on Aliir (who incidentally is being discussed as an AA contendender)!

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Am keen to see how Logan goes this time. If he struggles then swap him for McLean.
    Yep it'll be interesting to see what happens to him against GC - if he get's a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Most, if not all of us thought that Hickey was a bit of a dud buy, possibly not even better than Sinclair.
    No, not all.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    McLean comes in as first ruck. Changing at full forward or up forward with Reid.

Veterans List
    [QUOTE=Bexl;815183]
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Sounds like Rowbottom a definite in:

As he should be when he is fit. I don't know what people want to drop/rest McDonald with Franklin out. He played against men last year.
    Perhaps because he hasn't looked like taking a mark or kicking a goal the last 2 weeks. Or are we rebuilding again already?

Ramps and Heeney 1-2 weeks away, that will be the time to drop the underperforming

Rest is crazy, they all Play 2s.

Sinks hasnt been rested he has been playing.

Logan in the 2s would work harder than he have to in the 1s.

Also Rowy not dominating in the 2s is irrelevant, he is a 1s player just needed to get thru a game.
    Being a gun in 1s doesnt always transfer to being a gun in the 2s and visa versa

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Danger game!
    All games are danger games with who we've got out injured

There is far too much "resting the kids" mumbo jumbo going on here. The more games into them the better.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    On Stephens, I say give him a decent opportunity. He looked a jet last night when he was running around the SCG by himself 15 minutes after everyone had left. I would like to see how that translates when there are 35 other players on the field.

Why was he running around by himself 15 minutes after most fans had left.
    He only came on in the last quarter as the medical sub so he didn't play a full game. The running after the game is to simulate the distance he would have run during a full game.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast