Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes v Geelong R7

Veterans List
    Stay calm everyone, the Match Committee will pull the right moves.

I do have a bet on the footy, often back against us when the opposition's odds appear generous. I'd rather lose my $ and we win but cleaned up on GWS and GC and thought the $1.68 on Geelong was nuts given their 15 goal win against WCE and our continuing injury problems. Happy to lose if we can beat Geelong.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

I do have a bet on the footy, often back against us when the opposition's odds appear generous. I'd rather lose my $ and we win but cleaned up on GWS and GC and thought the $1.68 on Geelong was nuts given their 15 goal win against WCE and our continuing injury problems. Happy to lose if we can beat Geelong.
    Yes, overly deferent to our home ground advantage.

I'll try but at this rate, we might be fielding a side with Clarke, Gray, Taylor, O'Connor, Amartey etc. If you had told me this after R3, I would've laughed at you.

That seems very generous given our injury list and Geelong's current form.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I'm going to assume that Hewett, Blakey, and Papley will be unavailable, that Heeney will play and that McCartin will be ready to return - who knows whether that's accurate.

Ins: McCartin (for Brand), COR (for Hewett), Stephens (for Blakey) and Bell (for Papley).

If Heeney is not up to playing then bring back McDonald. Maybe substitute Taylor for Campbell as the medical sub so that Campbell gets a break and can have a confidence building run in the reserves. Sinclair is still a better option than Amartey, although I would consider Amartey for McLean. Amartey will be better at relieving in the ruck than McLean. Still, not proposing this change.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

So what's papleys injury?

It was all going so well after the 1st 3 weeks, I didn't think things would fall so far so quickly. Besides our own lacklustre performance, I was amazed by the energy and skill from GC. Any team that brings that sort of game is going to be hard to beat. That energy level, pressure and willingness at the contest is the key factor in games, but hard to predict, as few teams can bring that every week.

Now there is so much to be addressed with our game.

• If we are going to beat Geelong it will have to be with 4 qtr pressure and speed. I'm not sure which selections are going to best suit this result. Perhaps a hard runner like Ryan Clarke would be a good addition, even though his speed is average at best and his much improved kicking still has a way to go. Our coaching staff should know who is prepared to give that 4 quarter effort required and select accordingly.
    • Our defence has been porous this year, and when we're not scoring, we are in for a hiding. We need to find a solution that doesn't rely just on Rampe's return, which of course will be a big help. Although I don't like to see our players get injured, Hewett was a detriment to our defence. Campbell has not shown much as a defender at this early stage of his career. And Lloyd is less valuable as a defender in our new look game plan.
    • We are a bit thin in the quality of our tall defenders, but may have to bite the bullet here to find the best combination. McCartin + either Melican or Brand look the choice for now. For the Geelong game, we can play 2 out of Brand, Melican and McCartin, depending on fitness. Dawson plays the 3rd tall and we should bring in O'Riordan for both pace and defensive attributes. Mcinerney to play a HBF for run and rebound. Lloyd to be repositioned to the wing or at half forward.
    • I don't think Heeney and Hayward go well in the same forward line. If we keep Hayward in the side, then I think Heeney should play that role of starting in the midfield and drifting forward, This way he gets the matchup on whoever is there in the zone at the time, rather than their preferred defender. Other teams have employed this strategy well.
    • We need more pace in the midfield. Kennedy has been great winning the ball, but when we don't win the ball in the centre, he can be a defensive liability, too slow to catch an opponent whizzing by him. He's more effective drifting forward. We have to stop those damaging breaks from centre when we lose the clearance. Maybe we could see a bit more of Rowbottom, Warner and Heeney playing at stoppages.
    • Our forward line is also struggling without Franklin. I would only play 2 key forwards, maybe Reid and Amartey this week. It won't be easy against a solid Geelong defence. I don't think it favours us to kick long to a contest, so we will rely on short kicks to smaller quick players and midfielders drifting forward. More than personnel, the coaches and players need to be together on this and coordinate who is leading up and when. There's some training lessons to be employed here, and then execute on game day.
    • Give Hayward the role of locking down on Stewart, who generates so much of Geelong's rebound. If he can do it, he doesn't need a possession to be a winner.

Players I would like to see come into the side this week: Stephens, O'Riordan, Amartey, one of Clarke or Taylor. Will wait for the injury report for the probable outs.

Was there some suggestion Brand was injured? If so and McCartain doesn't get up, we would be down to Melican, Gould, O'Connor and possibly Amartey as our options for tall defenders. Looks ugly when you consider we have to match up Cameron and Hawkins.

Speaking of Amartey, he did play defence a couple of seasons ago and I do recall he was decent. Good hands, good jump and I would imagine would have good closing speed. Added bonus of being able to ruck so could contest stoppages against Hawkins, freeing up our ruckman to provide an outlet out of defence. Just a thought but if McCartain fails to get up, might be worth a go.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It was all going so well after the 1st 3 weeks, I didn't think things would fall so far so quickly. Besides our own lacklustre performance, I was amazed by the energy and skill from GC. Any team that brings that sort of game is going to be hard to beat. That energy level, pressure and willingness at the contest is the key factor in games, but hard to predict, as few teams can bring that every week.

Now there is so much to be addressed with our game.

• If we are going to beat Geelong it will have to be with 4 qtr pressure and speed. I'm not sure which selections are going to best suit this result. Perhaps a hard runner like Ryan Clarke would be a good addition, even though his speed is average at best and his much improved kicking still has a way to go. Our coaching staff should know who is prepared to give that 4 quarter effort required and select accordingly.
    • Our defence has been porous this year, and when we're not scoring, we are in for a hiding. We need to find a solution that doesn't rely just on Rampe's return, which of course will be a big help. Although I don't like to see our players get injured, Hewett was a detriment to our defence. Campbell has not shown much as a defender at this early stage of his career. And Lloyd is less valuable as a defender in our new look game plan.
    • We are a bit thin in the quality of our tall defenders, but may have to bite the bullet here to find the best combination. McCartin + either Melican or Brand look the choice for now. For the Geelong game, we can play 2 out of Brand, Melican and McCartin, depending on fitness. Dawson plays the 3rd tall and we should bring in O'Riordan for both pace and defensive attributes. Mcinerney to play a HBF for run and rebound. Lloyd to be repositioned to the wing or at half forward.
    • I don't think Heeney and Hayward go well in the same forward line. If we keep Hayward in the side, then I think Heeney should play that role of starting in the midfield and drifting forward, This way he gets the matchup on whoever is there in the zone at the time, rather than their preferred defender. Other teams have employed this strategy well.
    • We need more pace in the midfield. Kennedy has been great winning the ball, but when we don't win the ball in the centre, he can be a defensive liability, too slow to catch an opponent whizzing by him. He's more effective drifting forward. We have to stop those damaging breaks from centre when we lose the clearance. Maybe we could see a bit more of Rowbottom, Warner and Heeney playing at stoppages.
    • Our forward line is also struggling without Franklin. I would only play 2 key forwards, maybe Reid and Amartey this week. It won't be easy against a solid Geelong defence. I don't think it favours us to kick long to a contest, so we will rely on short kicks to smaller quick players and midfielders drifting forward. More than personnel, the coaches and players need to be together on this and coordinate who is leading up and when. There's some training lessons to be employed here, and then execute on game day.
    • Give Hayward the role of locking down on Stewart, who generates so much of Geelong's rebound. If he can do it, he doesn't need a possession to be a winner.

Players I would like to see come into the side this week: Stephens, O'Riordan, Amartey, one of Clarke or Taylor. Will wait for the injury report for the probable outs.
    I agree with most of your analysis.

The one bit of your analysis that I disagree with is your positive reference to O'Riordan's defensive attributes. While we need run, I'd prefer Campbell's speed and kicking penetration, noting that we need to prioritise his development.

I'd like to see them buttress his inclusion by blooding Gould off the back of his BOG. We need to some hardness in the backline and it's time to start his development. Maybe Campbell can play a little more up the wing.

McCartin will hopefully come back.

I take your point re Clarke, despite shades-of-2020 misgivings. He isn't the future, but we need some elite running given we're so banged up.

I'd only bring Amartey in if we're stemming the Sinclair pain (please!). The game on Saturday showed winning the hitouts doesn't mean much if your ruckman offers nothing around the ground.

I wouldn't mind seeing Logan have another crack in a Buddy-less forward line; might be fired up by Thilthorpe's big debut?

On the veteran's list
    Reid out for a couple of weeks with a calf.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    That $1.68 I took on Geelong looks good now!

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Playing him in the ruck was always going to end in tears . I'm betting two weeks turns into six.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast