Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread. Swans v Geelong.

Quote Originally Posted by iigrover View Post
    I also heard "touched play on, touched play on, touched play on" when I watched the 'Last 2 minutes' video of the AFL website here: Last Two Minutes: Sydney Swans clinch a thriller

On that video, I there is absolutely no way I could reintepret that audio as saying "play on not 15"

However, the commentator said he thought the umpire said "not 15"

So I wonder if one umpire said "touched, play on", (picked up on Channel 7 broadcast), whereas the other umpire's audio of "not 15" went to the commentators/Fox Footy? If thats the case, and one umpire spotted and called 'touched', regardless of an incorrect call by the other other umpire, Play-on was the correct decision.

In any event, as many others have pointed out, the Cats were beneficiaries of a number of other inarguably incorrect decisions throughout the game that directly resulted goals. So the ourtcome for the game was fair.
    I'm amused by this analysis of the recording(s) which may one day come to rival the scrutiny of the Zapruder film of the JFK assassination. I just had a quick listen. The relevant bit is at about 3:53 in the link you have posted and about the only thing I can hear is "play on". Agree that I definitely don't hear "not 15" but also can't hear "touched". However, when you play it backwards at about 70% speed, I think I can hear it saying "get stuffed Geelong" in a deep, guttural kind of way. The footy gods have spoken.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    I must admit when I first listened during the broadcast and then after a couple of rewinds that I couldn’t pick up the play on comment. However it’s quite obvious and I have rewound it 20 times now that one of the umpires is definitely calling touched play on while the ball is in transit to Cameron. Richo appears to have poisoned opinion with his commentary which was quickly picked up by the other Vic centric commentators as fact

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I'm amused by this analysis of the recording(s) which may one day come to rival the scrutiny of the Zapruder film of the JFK assassination. I just had a quick listen. The relevant bit is at about 3:53 in the link you have posted and about the only thing I can hear is "play on". Agree that I definitely don't hear "not 15" but also can't hear "touched". However, when you play it backwards at about 70% speed, I think I can hear it saying "get stuffed Geelong" in a deep, guttural kind of way. The footy gods have spoken.
    Outstanding. If you slow it to 50%, you can definitely hear “get stuffed Geelong”. Like the story of the boy who threw the apple core that hit Doug Wade’s boot, ruining his shot for goal in 1970, and thereby ensuring the Swans would play finals for the first time in 25 years, this will go down in Bloods folklore.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Outstanding. If you slow it to 50%, you can definitely hear “get stuffed Geelong”. Like the story of the boy who threw the apple core that hit Doug Wade’s boot, ruining his shot for goal in 1970, and thereby ensuring the Swans would play finals for the first time in 25 years, this will go down in Bloods folklore.
    Doug Wade was a thug, couldnt have happened to a more fitting bloke !

Senior Player
    I'm amused by this analysis of the recording(s) which may one day come to rival the scrutiny of the Zapruder film of the JFK assassination.
    I confess (you won't be surprised) that I have extracted the audio from the video, and am in the process of feeding it through various software packages to try and remove crowd noise and shouty commentary. If I hear the 3rd gunshot on the motorcycle dictabelt recording, I'll let you know.

For anyone listening: the key part is when Darcy says "boot to ball". The umpire starts to speak at about the same time, so the word that may be "touched" is hard to hear, but the "play on" is quite clear.

So someone is shouting "play on" pretty much as the ball is kicked towards Cameron.

I'm impressed! Once you've cleared out the peripheral noise, you'll have to share the final product with us.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    As I previously tried to say, the plot thickens!

Umpires coach Kennedy leaves AFL suddenly

We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

I'm impressed! Once you've cleared out the peripheral noise, you'll have to share the final product with us.
    +1

Makes me think of two films: one of which is masterful and the other has Sean Young:

The Conversation and No Way Out

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I confess (you won't be surprised) that I have extracted the audio from the video, and am in the process of feeding it through various software packages to try and remove crowd noise and shouty commentary. If I hear the 3rd gunshot on the motorcycle dictabelt recording, I'll let you know.

For anyone listening: the key part is when Darcy says "boot to ball". The umpire starts to speak at about the same time, so the word that may be "touched" is hard to hear, but the "play on" is quite clear.

So someone is shouting "play on" pretty much as the ball is kicked towards Cameron.
    Haha im doing the same. Im going to run a couple filters over it. (Only doing it now because the the umpire boss retired and i reckon i heard that @@@@ umpire nicholls voice all night and it didnt sound right & i love a conspiracy theory). I'll post it here only if it confirms that the afl are corrupt. otherwise up yours geelong.

Regular in the Side
    Has anyone got a clear video image that shows whether the ball was actually touched? Could one umpire have called touched play on and the other not fifteen and both umpires got it wrong?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Has anyone got a clear video image that shows whether the ball was actually touched? Could one umpire have called touched play on and the other not fifteen and both umpires got it wrong?
    Oh I'm working on the video frames too

If anyone touched it, it was Ryan Clarke. Here is the key frame. You can see the kicker's boot and the ball, just emerging to the right of Menegola (27). Clarke is lunging across, between Guthrie and Menegola, and umpire Nicholls is right there watching closely.
    A few frames later Nicholls' arm raises as though he may be signalling, but it's hard to be sure - he may just be starting to run.