Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Changes for R8: Swans vs Melbourne

Suspended by the MRP
    How some keep getting games but Stephens gets dropped at the first chance ill never understand.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Weird thing to me is the amount of tall forwards. Hickey, Sinclair, Franklin and McLean.

Bit harsh on Stephens I feel! He should get a run and I think he should be the sub.

However I think this is close to our best 22. Heeney, O'Riordan and Reid for Sinclair, Stephens/Campbell and McLean and we're there!
    Meant to rain in Melbourne this evening too so seems very tall for wet weather footy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    Spot on I think Stephens got sucked into the play to much . A lot of Geelong’s early attack was through his wing . He turned it around somewhat but still seems to struggle with structures at this early stage in his career . Will be a beauty though . Would have liked to see the club set him a negative task on Ed Langdon arguably the hardest working current wingman in the game . Would have been a great learning curve for him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I wondered if they’d play Stephens on Langdon too. It seems an obvious match up. But I think they think he’s not quite up to it yet. I’m fascinated who will get the job?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Jfc that fwd line is too tall. We will get killed at ground level none are strong marks, McLean is still green. Kick inside 50 will have to be precise, wouldnt be giving that responsibility to Cunningham, Rowbottom or Clarke.
    McLean might be green but he is a strong mark. He was clunking them last week and he uses his body strength well. Sinkers can clunk them too, on his day. Have some faith TB....and rediscover optimism.

TB, nothing endears a player to a coach quite like old fashioned hard work and pressure! How often does Horse Longmire say it in his pressers?? It starts with the pressure in and around the contest! Chasing, tackling, coralling, smothering .. it all adds up!! You might not think highly of Rowbottom or Wicks but if you want to know why they get games every week their pressure acts might tell you!
    RB has played 31 games and in 15 of those hes been in the top 3 swans for pressure acts. Almost half his games hes been a leader in the pressure category. (Hes been the outright leader in 8 of those games, which is staggering and puts holes in your "lazy" theory!!)
    Wicks' numbers are just as impressive - 14 games, and hes been in top 3 swans for pressure acts in 7 of them. Thats half!
    Btw these are young cygnets leading in an area that would typically be led by onfield leaders and bulls like Joey, Parks and Mills!

Against Geelong, young Dylan only had 7 pressure acts, which had him in the bottom 3 players in our team (not including the medical sub Clarke). In his 10 games so far he has been in the bottom 5 in FOUR of his matches. He has had 2 where hes been top 3 but clearly hes not producing that level on a weekly basis like the coaches need to see to have confidence to pick him every week. This is not to say he isnt a hard worker, but its a sign he might be struggling to turn that hard work into meaningful pressure on the opposition. It will come for him im sure of it but in the mean time its an area that he can improve on to earn more faith from the coaches!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Meant to rain in Melbourne this evening too so seems very tall for wet weather footy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We can swap them out an hour before the game, if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    How some keep getting games but Stephens gets dropped at the first chance ill never understand.
    I agree. I would have preferred his run and agility instead of Sinclair.

Well if it’s meant to rain, I hope they all packed the long stop boots.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I have no faith in the certainty of Melbourne weather (or anyone’s ability to predict it) to select a team based on it.

Having said that, it does look a little odd with Sinclair named on a half forward flank. But if Reid was fit I imagine he would take the place of Sinclair or McLean (which still has us with the same number of talls). We’re not that top heavy on balance.

I've noticed Heeney is listed out with ankle injury rather than rested or managed. Does anyone know the extent of the injury & whether if it's the same ankle he had operated on? Noticed during last week's game they mentioned his ankle was being looked at when he came off.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    TB, nothing endears a player to a coach quite like old fashioned hard work and pressure! How often does Horse Longmire say it in his pressers?? It starts with the pressure in and around the contest! Chasing, tackling, coralling, smothering .. it all adds up!! You might not think highly of Rowbottom or Wicks but if you want to know why they get games every week their pressure acts might tell you!
    RB has played 31 games and in 15 of those hes been in the top 3 swans for pressure acts. Almost half his games hes been a leader in the pressure category. (Hes been the outright leader in 8 of those games, which is staggering and puts holes in your "lazy" theory!!)
    Wicks' numbers are just as impressive - 14 games, and hes been in top 3 swans for pressure acts in 7 of them. Thats half!
    Btw these are young cygnets leading in an area that would typically be led by onfield leaders and bulls like Joey, Parks and Mills!

Against Geelong, young Dylan only had 7 pressure acts, which had him in the bottom 3 players in our team (not including the medical sub Clarke). In his 10 games so far he has been in the bottom 5 in FOUR of his matches. He has had 2 where hes been top 3 but clearly hes not producing that level on a weekly basis like the coaches need to see to have confidence to pick him every week. This is not to say he isnt a hard worker, but its a sign he might be struggling to turn that hard work into meaningful pressure on the opposition. It will come for him im sure of it but in the mean time its an area that he can improve on to earn more faith from the coaches!
    Thanks for this info. I’m certain that there is so much more information that the coaches use within a game and in review. The stats would be amazing. I also imagine that there is so much video analysis from different angles.

Out of interest, where did you find these pressure acts data?

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Thanks for this info. I’m certain that there is so much more information that the coaches use within a game and in review. The stats would be amazing. I also imagine that there is so much video analysis from different angles.

Out of interest, where did you find these pressure acts data?
    Hi AB Swannie, they are on the AFL app!

There would certainly be a multitude of factors coaches would look at but its certain that pressure would be a major one, its a strong indication of a players ability to work just as hard without the ball as they do with it.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast