Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for R8: Swans vs Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    The second ruck position is the other one. Sinkers wasn't great. Could bring in Blakey or Amartey to play that role, more likely Blakey. I don't think he'd give us any less than Sinkers did. Has a huge leap and could be a handful to match up on.
    Not sure I'd fancy Amartey or Blakey rucking against Gawn unless you're after comic relief. Sinkers is still the best second ruck option IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Unlucky for COR whom played well. I just feel that you need to give Campbell every opportunity.

With Rampe still out, I like Mills spending significant time on halfback.

- - - Updated - - -

Opps. I forgot Hewitt.

He comes in for a tiring Guldon.
    Why does Campbell deserve every opportunity, while COR does not, even when he plays well? Campbell has plenty of time ahead of him, while COR needs to establish himself as a regular while he's in the side and not on the injury list. At this stage at least, COR is a better defender with more of a physical presence.

I would like to see Mills back in the midfield ASAP. We missed him there on Saturday and got crushed in contested possessions. If anything, we can bring Fox in to play in defence. Brand can also come in to replace Melican if Rampe is not yet fit to return, or Gould for that matter.

I don't think Hewett is an automatic selection. We need more running power out of defence.

I'm reconsidering playing both Fox and COR in the same defence. Maybe we can do it and move Lloyd to the midfield. We are in the process of changing our defensive exit strategy and don't really need Lloyd's short kicking game back there now. Lloyd is a clever player with good skills. He plays well just off the contests, where he finds plenty of the ball and is a good link up player.

I can see a defence with McCartin, Melican, Rampe, COR, Fox and Cunningham, with several option for the 7th defender, like Campbell or Mcinerney. Good physicality, good pace and solid kicking.

I’m with you on moving Lloyd elsewhere, just not sure where?

And I know it’s heresy as he won the B&F

Dropping Cunningham is ridiculous.

Buddy Franklin, Dane Rampe to boost Sydney Swans ahead of clash with Melbourne Demons

In: Buddy, Rampe
    Out: Sinclair, Melican

I would give COR another game but he needs to perform. If not, Campbell comes back in.

If Heeney isn't fit (which sure looks that way), then would like to see McDonald replace him.

I don't want to play Sinclair or Amartey. It just depends on how many are out with injury. If Reid and Buddy are out, we might have to play one of them. We need at least one of Reid or McLean available to relieve Hickey in the ruck if Sinclair/Amartey don't play - Blakey might contest a few rucks but isn't adequate to cover for/relieve Hickey. If at least one of Reid or Buddy could play then either or both of Reid and McLean can provide sufficient ruck relief, perhaps with extra assistance from Blakey. Whereas if neither Reid or Buddy play, I'm reluctant to spare McLean to play in the ruck.

I'm keeping COR ahead of Campbell for the time being.

I'd bring in Fox ahead of Gould. If Rampe is unavailable, Fox for Melican is a no brainer. If Rampe is available, he comes in for Melican and I would move Mills back in to the midfield and bring in either Hewett or Fox.

What to do with Hewett is a headache. He is an excellent player but I don't love him in defence. However, given they have gone down that path, maybe they will choose to stick with him. The more experience he gets in the role the more we can expect him to improve. He plays the role Mills played last year - except that his intercept marking is not on a par with Callum's, he does most of the rest of it pretty well.

I'm undecided about resting Gulden. His output has clearly dropped and he is young and he will have plenty more opportunities in the future. On the other hand, continuing to play him, he continues to learn and develop. I'll trust the match committee to decide. If Gulden is rested, we could either bring in Blakey in his place or push Hewett into the forward line and bring Fox into that role in the back line (which is a lot of chopping and changing for Hewett).

Not the easiest task for the match committee this week with a lot of moving parts - it will all depend on the injury/fitness news.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Warming the Bench
    in rampe, franklin, hewett

out melican mclean gulden
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

Senior Player
    I'm tipping Captain's changes as the ones most likely to happen.

From the reserves, the clear standouts by a significant margin were Fox and Taylor, with McDonald doing enough if we want another tall forward option.

Someone mentioned elsewhere (maybe in another thread?) that Campbell's kicking skills are overrated, have to say at this stage I agree. Still think he's very good and is going to be a player but I would have Dawson and Buddy as superior field kicks. I don't think he did enough to warrant a recall over O'Riordan.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    in rampe, franklin, hewett

out melican mclean gulden
    Nuh. I'm keeping McLean ahead of Sinclair, especially after last match. Before the season began I didn't think McLean had overtaken Sinclair but now I've changed my mind. Sinclair has gone backwards and McLean keeps taking steps forward. Sinclair may be a little better in the ruck but Hickey will be doing most of the rucking and McLean is the future.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Sinks, Melican, Oriordan, McKinerney

Buddy, Ramps, Hewitt, Fox.

I believe if Fox if fit, he plays 1s, he is rated that highly

Hewit for petracca as memtioned by others

Heeneys hand will only get better

Mclean will have to do some chop out ruck work, his 4 goals and Reid being out will keep Logan in the 2s i think

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Sinks, Melican, Oriordan, McKinerney
    You are dropping McKinerney after kicking that crucial (and tough!) goal??? Wow.

Outs: Melican, Sinclair, O'Riordan
    Ins: Rampe, Franklin, Campbell

I watched the Ressies game and made these observations (feel free to disagree):
    - McDonald is still awesome, just a struggle to see who to replace! Maybe if they feel they dont need Stephens?
    - Gould still a work in progress. Sometimes really good, other times really poor. Not AFL standard just yet
    - Blakey is definitely AFL level, but needs a few games to get his confidence back in the VFL
    - Campbell is special. We are seeing him (like Mills) starting in a part of the ground he really isn't that comfortable at. Played almost the whole game in the centre in the VFL, and dominated. Like Mills did, and now will. Give him time, bring him back in to keep his development up.
    - Fox is definitely AFL level, but its getting tough to break into this side. A direct replacement for Cunningham if need be

Hickey is so important to us I think he needs some protection and care. IMHO a team with only a "chop out" from McLean does not reflect that, particularly against Melbourne with Gawn and Jackson.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast