Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for R8: Swans vs Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Why does Campbell deserve every opportunity, while COR does not, even when he plays well? Campbell has plenty of time ahead of him, while COR needs to establish himself as a regular while he's in the side and not on the injury list. At this stage at least, COR is a better defender with more of a physical presence.

I would like to see Mills back in the midfield ASAP. We missed him there on Saturday and got crushed in contested possessions. If anything, we can bring Fox in to play in defence. Brand can also come in to replace Melican if Rampe is not yet fit to return, or Gould for that matter.

I don't think Hewett is an automatic selection. We need more running power out of defence.

I'm reconsidering playing both Fox and COR in the same defence. Maybe we can do it and move Lloyd to the midfield. We are in the process of changing our defensive exit strategy and don't really need Lloyd's short kicking game back there now. Lloyd is a clever player with good skills. He plays well just off the contests, where he finds plenty of the ball and is a good link up player.

I can see a defence with McCartin, Melican, Rampe, COR, Fox and Cunningham, with several option for the 7th defender, like Campbell or Mcinerney. Good physicality, good pace and solid kicking.
    Because Campbell is top talent. He’s had his rest and is now ready to come back in. I like COR and your correct about his defending and physical presence. I also believe that on the big expanse of the MCG that Campbells kicking skills will be very important.

Veterans List
    Horse's press conference today. Said Ramps, Bud and Fox will all be in the mix for selection. Also weighs in on Paddy McCartin's VFL indescretion at the end.

John Longmire Press Conference - 3 May, 2021

Looks like Tom McDonald is an option to drop back into defence, Weideman into lineup to form a 195cm + 3 headed monster forward line with Jackson and Brown. There is ample room to reward good key forwards if there is good delivery into F50. I would be inclined to beef up our defence. Also move Mills back into mid, rotate midfielder at half forward to fill in for Heeney (eg Parker, JPK, Warner, Rowbottom etc)

Outs: Melican Heeney Sinclair
    Ins: Rampe Gould Buddy

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Horse's press conference today. Said Ramps, Bud and Fox will all be in the mix for selection. Also weighs in on Paddy McCartin's VFL indescretion at the end.

John Longmire Press Conference - 3 May, 2021
    Looks like a ripping game coming up.

I'm looking forward to Hickey v Gawn

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Because Campbell is top talent. He’s had his rest and is now ready to come back in. I like COR and your correct about his defending and physical presence. I also believe that on the big expanse of the MCG that Campbells kicking skills will be very important.
    Campbell may be a 'top talent' (again whatever that means) but he was only 'so so' in reserves on the weekend. Felt like he had a bit of 'Blakeyitis' about some of his playing, just trying a little to hard. Had moments where you could tell he looks a level above, but I'd be tempted to give him a week or two more to find a bit more form before bringing him back in.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Bailey Fritsch has been offered a one match ban for striking. He has been playing really well for Melbourne so he will be a big loss for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I'm looking forward to Hickey v Gawn
    In the coaches votes, they're th

- - - Updated - - -

In the coaches votes, they're the only two ruckmen on the leader board. 24 and 34 votes respectively.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Dropping Cunningham is ridiculous.

Buddy Franklin, Dane Rampe to boost Sydney Swans ahead of clash with Melbourne Demons

In: Buddy, Rampe
    Out: Sinclair, Melican

I would give COR another game but he needs to perform. If not, Campbell comes back in.

If Heeney isn't fit (which sure looks that way), then I would like to see McDonald replace him.
    Agreed.

O'Riordan didn't show anything on Saturday which changed my mind on him. Campbell or Fox in for him makes for a stronger 22, so he's on borrowed time unless he shows more.

I understand Mountain Man's point below about protecting Hickey, but Sinclair really offers very little. The alternative is dropping McLean for Buddy (unless they decide to rest Heeney), which makes for a weaker team.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Agreed.

O'Riordan didn't show anything on Saturday which changed my mind on him. Campbell or Fox in for him makes for a stronger 22, so he's on borrowed time unless he shows more.

I understand Mountain Man's point below about protecting Hickey, but Sinclair really offers very little. The alternative is dropping McLean for Buddy (unless they decide to rest Heeney), which makes for a weaker team.
    I agree with Captain too, except I'm tempted to bring in Fox and push Mills back to the midfield and omit one of the front half players.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post

The person who does The Swans Blog assessments disagrees on O'Riordan, says:

Defensively did well, rarely beaten, one of the better games that O'Riordan's played, finished with 8 intercepts and won both of his defensive 50 contests.

Player ratings: Sydney Swans vs Geelong Cats, Round 7, 2021

WOW!! What a position to be in - 5-2 going into a top 4 clash against the undefeated Dees!! With Buddy AND Dane likely to return! Great news, our conditioning staff are really earning their paychecks this year!! What i am curious about is the selection squeeze. Buddy & Dane are obviously best 22, and i think Hewett and Fox are too. How to fit them all in? Who goes out?

My guesses:
    O'Riordan for Fox. Colin was solid against the Cats and would consider himself unlucky but Fox was thriving last yr and offers more than the Irishman.

Melican for Rampe. I hate to say it but "TheBloods" will be right on this one, as poor Lewis goes down at the same time Dane comes back! He will find it a challenge to get back into the team behind Dane and Tommy Mac.

Sinclair for Buddy. Always loved Big Cal with his heart the size of Phar Laps. Lance is Lance. There will always be a place for Sincs in the future if the Hick ever goes down.

Rowbottom for Hewett...? Again TheBloods may be onto something. He has not shown quite as much as Mills, Ollie or Chad in the midfield .. an unlucky injury thats knocked him down a peg or two in the order. The coaches may settle on ousting Stephens instead but then he offers something a little different to George whereas RB is more of a like for like and so you wonder if it will be one or the other between George and RB. Maybe George's experience wins out ??

Great problems to have. We looked dead in the water a fortnight ago !! Hickey aka Lazarus' return has turned things around! And the cavalry is coming!!

I havent even included Blakey, Logan Mc, or Campbell!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast