Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for R8: Swans vs Melbourne

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The person who does The Swans Blog assessments disagrees on O'Riordan, says:

Defensively did well, rarely beaten, one of the better games that O'Riordan's played, finished with 8 intercepts and won both of his defensive 50 contests.

Player ratings: Sydney Swans vs Geelong Cats, Round 7, 2021
    I'm not sure I rate those ratings that highly; seem a bit light on telling observations about the play.

E.g., on Kennedy:

"Not the biggest game stat wise, but there were moments of pure class, and when the a next level was required, Kennedy was there leading the way."

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I'm not sure I rate those ratings that highly; seem a bit light on telling observations about the play.
    I'm bemused by how quickly some are to drop Colin. I haven\t heard any real criticism of his game, and it is his first senior game since injured mid season 2020. So what does he have to do to keep his spot in the side? Are we setting a higher standard for Colin than for other players?

I honestly can't separate COR and Fox. I like them both and feel bad to leave either out of the side, but realise that we may not have enough spots to carry both in the seniors, although they did play a number of games together last y ar (but I can't remember anything about those games). I think both Colin and Fox played well last year when they were selected.

Keeping Colin in the side is not a reflection of anyone not selected. I feel that if we we bring in a player and the player does his job well, then we he should keep his spot.

Quote Originally Posted by HeeneyIsAGun View Post
    You are dropping McKinerney after kicking that crucial (and tough!) goal??? Wow.
    Its out of him Wicks or Gulden

Wicks still the best pressure Ins 50
    Gulden was low numbers but less rush of blood and more composure on the weekend and he had 3 goals

Stephens has to play, I believe if he gets 3 games in a row he will be a permanent 22

I rate Fox over Harry and Hewitt is a better shutdown player than Harry.

Then there is Logan who I rate over Mclean but he deserves another week after last week.

The there is Blakey and Campbell, who have significant upside.

I wonder if Campbell just needs to be thrown to the lions in the middle, is a little like Warner last year, easing him into footy in a position thats a bit foreign. If nothing else he shouldnt be handballing off to Dawson or Lloyd when he has a the same chance by foot

Veterans List
    The person who does The Swans Blog assessments disagrees on O'Riordan, says:

Defensively did well, rarely beaten, one of the better games that O'Riordan's played, finished with 8 intercepts and won both of his defensive 50 contests.

Player ratings: Sydney Swans vs Geelong Cats, Round 7, 2021
    I'm with the blogger - very surprised to read so much negative commentary on COR, thought both he and Melican were very solid.

Veterans List
    I'm bemused by how quickly some are to drop Colin. I haven\t heard any real criticism of his game, and it is his first senior game since injured mid season 2020. So what does he have to do to keep his spot in the side? Are we setting a higher standard for Colin than for other players?

I honestly can't separate COR and Fox. I like them both and feel bad to leave either out of the side, but realise that we may not have enough spots to carry both in the seniors, although they did play a number of games together last y ar (but I can't remember anything about those games). I think both Colin and Fox played well last year when they were selected.

Keeping Colin in the side is not a reflection of anyone not selected. I feel that if we we bring in a player and the player does his job well, then we he should keep his spot.
    I agree that COR should retain his spot and I think the selectors would be happy for Fox to keep building in the two's for another week or so. Even though he tore it up on the weekend, it was just his first game back.

Senior Player

Colin had a solid game, but I think Fox offers more. He has a better leap and plays taller, and seems more dangerous bouncing out of defence. I trust him a little more in defensive duels. I thought he played better last year than Colin has.

But I agree with the sentiment in your final paragraph. I am not advocating he get dropped this week. However, consistent with my view that Fox offers more to the team, I'd like to see a bit more from Colin (particularly rebounding punch) if he's keeping Fox out.

I think we can have Fox in as well as Cunningham and O'Riordan.

If we bring Rampe in for Melican and Fox in for Heeney who is clearly not fit/recovered, Fox would allow Mills to move back to the midfield and Dawson to play as a more free/rebounding defender. Our mids like Parker, Kennedy and Warner can then rotate through the forward line more to cover for Heeney.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I think we can have Fox in as well as Cunningham and O'Riordan.

If we bring Rampe in for Melican and Fox in for Heeney who is clearly not fit/recovered, Fox would allow Mills to move back to the midfield and Dawson to play as a more free/rebounding defender. Our mids like Parker, Kennedy and Warner can then rotate through the forward line more to cover for Heeney.
    I don't mind this actually. We need a 3rd tall and Fox is the man, not Mills. He needs to play in the midfield.

Fox for Heeney.

Are people comfortable with Franklin being subjected to a 1.5 hour flight to Melbourne and back?

Could it be best to give him some extra preparation time to be ready for the Swans V Collingwood SCG game next week? Remembering the Swans elected not to play him against Richmond.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Are people comfortable with Franklin being subjected to a 1.5 hour flight to Melbourne and back?

Could it be best to give him some extra preparation time to be ready for the Swans V Collingwood SCG game next week? Remembering the Swans elected not to play him against Richmond.
    Hell yeah! It's hardly a long haul flight.....we need him if we are a chance to beat Melbourne (which we are) and we can beat Collingwood at home with or without Buddy.

Veterans List
    Parker's report must have been withdrawn. No mention of it or any sanction in this MRP report. He shouldn't have been reported in the first place.....when you consider Melbourne's Bailey Fritsch wasn't even reported on field for a high hit that put the North player out of the game and eventually got him a weeks suspension.

Match Review: Six-goal Demon Bayley Fritsch banned for high hit, Blue charged twice

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I'd like to see Fox come into the team.
    That would give us three "defensive" defenders (as opposed to "rebounding" defenders) in Rampe, McCartin and Fox. I think it something we have been lacking this year.
    [insert obvious defender I have overlooked here ]
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast