Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for R8: Swans vs Melbourne

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar

Changes for R8: Swans vs Melbourne

Here we go boys and girls:

Out: Heeney, he is injured, so lets get him right for the run home to the finals

Letting Lloyd do the kick in, he can only kick 40 meters, with have Dawson who can kick 55

Cunningham: watch the replay, he had some major brain fades

In: Time to blood Gould; what does he have to do to get a game?

Would like to see Logan back; the MCG suites him!

Amartey should get a look, he has been on the list for along time: either we start to play him or we cut him
    doof-doof

Only obvious swap for me is Melican for Rampe

I'd like to bring Fox in, as he looked a cut above the rest in the ressies and thought he was huge for us last year, but it's hard to know who to take out ... maybe rest Gulden or give Heeney time to recover as he's clearly still injured. Fox in the backline would free up Mills to go back in the midfield.

And yes, Lloyd has to stop taking the kick-ins.

I think we need another genuine tall defender in. Dawson is doing an admirable job but I just don't feel we're getting the most out of his rebounding game with him having to play tight. Likewise if Mills has to play tall - we miss his influence as a midfielder. With Melbourne likely to have McDonald, Brown and Jackson (or a resting Gawn) in their forward line, we should go for 3 of McCartain, Melican, Rampe, Gould depending on who is fit. Fox is another potential but a touch undersized.

If Heeney is injured and / or not confident about his hand, give him a break. Logan McDonald or Blakey could come back in to provide the third marking target.

If Lloyd doesn't take kick ins, he'll be seeing a 30% drop in his disposals and metres gained.
    His kicks aren't penetrating. Opposition coaches aren't bothered by him at all.

I've warmed on Cunningham this year, I think it's been better defensively than previous years.

Rampe for Melican a no brainer. Not sure we still need Sinclair in this side with Hickey at full strength again.. wouldn't mind seeing Gould or Fox in for him, to allow Mills back to the middle

Always an admirer of Sinclair’s endeavour, he only had 7 disposals and 1 mark against Geelong. Can’t see how he gives any more than trying Amartey at this stage. Hickey is a revelation, give the young guy a chance to be his back-up.
    Fox could come in for Melican, otherwise Rampe if he’s fit. Heeney is currently unable to mark or tackle, so he just needs to recover. A two-handed Heeney would have taken that mark at the end, and there would be no controversy engaging the AFL media.

Out: Melican, Heeney, Clarke - agree Llyod has to stop doing kicking - he is too slow to make a decision and his kicking is not up to the level of Dawson, Cunningham.

In: Rampe (hopefully), Gould, Fox

I would put Sinclair at Full Forward as he can kick and mark well.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Heeney is currently unable to mark or tackle, so he just needs to recover. A two-handed Heeney would have taken that mark at the end, and there would be no controversy engaging the AFL media.
    Absolutely correct.....it's a mark he would normally have swallowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Always an admirer of Sinclair’s endeavour, he only had 7 disposals and 1 mark against Geelong. Can’t see how he gives any more than trying Amartey at this stage. Hickey is a revelation, give the young guy a chance to be his back-up.
    Fox could come in for Melican, otherwise Rampe if he’s fit. Heeney is currently unable to mark or tackle, so he just needs to recover. A two-handed Heeney would have taken that mark at the end, and there would be no controversy engaging the AFL media.
    If Amartey was absolutely ripping it up in the VFL, I would agree. But while he does a lot of good stuff, he undoes plenty of his good work with some of his decision making at times, and at the moment I think seems to be running into the same problem as Blakey - thinking too much about what he is going to do with the pill before he has got it. I'd be happy to perservere with Sinclair for another week, if only to give a bit of rest to Hickey during the contest (while we have no Reid to pinch hit in the ruck).

Rampe for Melican if he is fit, otherwise I'd be happy enough with Fox coming in, or perhaps the quadruple brownlow medallist Gould finally getting a start (Did some nice stuff again on the weekend, but I remain to be convinced he is quite ready).
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

On the Rookie List
    Don't forget that Buddy will be right this week. Imagine him and Logan McDonald on the G. Things will happen

Outs - Melican and COR

Ins - Gould and Campbell.

I keep Sinclair because ruck support is needed for Gawn and Jackson, who are a very powerful combination. I would bring McDonald back when we are playing a weaker ruck combination.

Unlucky for COR whom played well. I just feel that you need to give Campbell every opportunity.

With Rampe still out, I like Mills spending significant time on halfback.

- - - Updated - - -

Opps. I forgot Hewitt.

He comes in for a tiring Guldon.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    If Amartey was absolutely ripping it up in the VFL, I would agree. But while he does a lot of good stuff, he undoes plenty of his good work with some of his decision making at times, and at the moment I think seems to be running into the same problem as Blakey - thinking too much about what he is going to do with the pill before he has got it.
    I agree with you on Amartey. He seems to have most of what it takes to become a good footy player, but he's just not there yet, and may not get there either. I would like to see him become a more aggressive player, with the kind of mongrel that a lot of key forwards have, but he doesn't seem to be that sort of player. Maybe he can get some tips from Paddy McCartin. He doesn't have to think too much. Just go out and try to physically impose himself on the game.

Quite a lot of potential changes, despite winning, we were very fortunate to do so.

Melican's replacement you'd hope would be Rampe, in a straight swap.

I'm not sold on Hewett in defence, but he might be handy to play a specific role on Petracca in the same way that he covered Dusty. And might make it easier for Mills to return the midfield, where he is needed.

Hard to know about Gulden. He's still having an impact and delivers the ball inside 50 so well, I'd be reluctant to give him a rest.

Stephens stays on the wing over Blakey.

Heeney should be rested, but I can see them playing him regardless, unless Buddy is back. I think it's unlikely he'll play on the MCG if he's not fully fit.

The second ruck position is the other one. Sinkers wasn't great. Could bring in Blakey or Amartey to play that role, more likely Blakey. I don't think he'd give us any less than Sinkers did. Has a huge leap and could be a handful to match up on.

OUT: Melican, Sinkers, O'Riordan (Heeney)
    IN: Rampe, Blakey, Hewett (Buddy)

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast