Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 4 Game Day - The Season So Far

Where do you go from here? You can't just create a club out of thin air to represent the west - no-one would care enough to volunteer, it would be soulless.

And people would be reluctant to play for a Camden when they already play for SWS, or Campbelltown, or Penrith.....

There's no simple solution. Penrith would need Howell Oval, a junior pipeline which they have in place to a degree..

Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    You’re not making a lot of sense there Old Puppy. I suggest you only post when you are sober, or is that just the dementia kicking in?
    But the gist of your msg is there are some at your club that want to buy me a burger? Given the loss to Norths on Sunday I suggest you hang on to your $ and buy a few more players in and send some of those local juniors back to Reserve grade.
    Cheers!
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Salty Andreww1, love it!! To be fair i couldn't work out what Old Puppy was going on about either, but looks like he was having a good night!!

Interesting results on the weekend. Top 2 look like the top 2 for now but looks like a bit of movement below that. Interesting to see if Wests and UTS can hang on. Ressies results are telling there.

Camden results have to be a worry. Looks like seniors went a bit better this week, but ressies 0 - 172!! Thats rough enough, but they lost by 224 points 2 weeks ago to UNSW and UNSW lost this weekend without kicking a goal. Thats a gap. What happens there?

Noone talks about womens seniors? Looks like a much more even comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    but ressies 0 - 172!! That's rough enough, but they lost by 224 points 2 weeks ago to UNSW and UNSW lost this weekend without kicking a goal. Thats a gap. What happens there?
    Mechanic I see you are new to post but not sure if new to Sydney. What you have highlighted is the seismic change in Sydney Football over the last 5 years. The top club's arent just strong at the top end, they are strong through 4, 5, and even 6 teams. This is not a cycle that will change over time as some refer to when comparing Premiers over the last 20 years. What we are seeing is a structural, now institutional, problem. I am quite sure the North Shore Division 1 team would comfortably beat Camden - please this is not a criticism of Camden, but a statement as to how strong NS is.

Even with the dramatic improvement UTS in Prems this year they have still lost to NS by 82 points and Syd Uni by 112 points in Ressies.

The only structure I see that can work in the future is a 4 team competition of Syd Uni, NS, Easts, and Pennant Hills playing against each other in all 5 or 6 men's grades. Then a next competition structure including Camden, UTS, Wests, St G, Manly, East Coast, Penrith, and Power. And finally a third tier of the rest. The inequity is not just about the Prems teams, but all of the teams in the super clubs. They needed to be pulled out of the competition to create a more even playing field.

New to Sydney but not new to footy.
    The only solution is to take 4 clubs out of the competition? Sounds odd how would you make that work

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    New to Sydney but not new to footy.
    The only solution is to take 4 clubs out of the competition? Sounds odd how would you make that work
    It is odd - but I can't think of any other options. If the super clubs were only strong in Prems then there are multiple other options, but they are strong through all of their teams. Would love to hear some other options to the imbalance across all Divisions.

P.S. a 4 team competition works in Broken Hill

Our Seniors got thumped by Shore's 4th grade, and only just pipped their 5th grade a few weeks back, and our Seniors is quite a good list this year. They have massive numbers and good depth of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    It is odd - but I can't think of any other options. If the super clubs were only strong in Prems then there are multiple other options, but they are strong through all of their teams. Would love to hear some other options to the imbalance across all Divisions.

P.S. a 4 team competition works in Broken Hill
    Whispers were last year about a state league competition in replacement of the NEAFL. I'm not sure on the validity of these whispers. But no doubt if this was to happen these 4 clubs would be part of it.

The talk of 4 teams leaving to form their own comp has some EPL vibes to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers28 View Post
    Waratah Oval
    Quote Originally Posted by mrns View Post
    Camden sitting on 22% and 12% in reserves.

Could it be time to see a Platinum club be making a push to be promoted to premier division?
    Whispers were last year about a state league competition in replacement of the NEAFL. I'm not sure on the validity of these whispers. But no doubt if this was to happen these 4 clubs would be part of it.

Throw Albury in the mix

Ha ... my suggestion was more about "kicking them out" to create a more even competition (across all Divisions) more than an elitist 4 team competition but can see the comparison.

Elitist where did that come from Tom? From a bloke who calls himself tom wills.

Don't mistake well run business, organisations and clubs with elitism.

The problem with competition in Sydney is that the well run clubs have improved to a level way beyond expectations over the last 5 years and left the poorly run behind. Whilst a lot of success is cyclical and many teams have enjoyed success over the last 15 years, its all about how they are run, in particular their junior programs and that is not rocket science its footy 101.

Take a look at the under achievers at all levels, one common thread and its covered above.

North Shore were exceptionally good across all teams on the weekend and enjoyed the weeks results, and good luck to this well run organisation.

Unlike the volunteers on here with a bit banter, lets hope AFL make the tough calls required and start steering the ship in right direction.

The current “state league” proposal is for a 6 team Sydney only competition. It does include Camden as one of the 6 so based on current form it’s not really about elevating the best teams to a higher level or reducing the unevenness of the competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow now that’s an interesting statement! Don’t tell me you have been privy to the confidential state league report held so preciously by AFL after the Independant consultation 🤷@♂️.
    That confidential information I was told only Henry the octopus was privy, albeit slipped under the table by his now unemployed apprentice!
    You must be special too Andreww1

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast