Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: General Swans news

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Fair enough.
    I’m tempted for some of the others you have (great collection BTW) but I only have so many minutes left of the planet and far too many unread books already on the shelves
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Pratt doesn't make an appearance in 100 Goals. The other one which I missed is Matt Watson's Sons of Guns. It has two chapters of interest (the Mitchell family and the Shaw).
    Pratt didn’t make it?? Kicked 100+ in 3 consecutive years including 150 in fewer games than Hudson! Was it only the living ones in the book? Or just actual Coleman medalists?

If you need help sourcing any of the other books, let me know, as I come across them from time to time

What a cracking list goswannies - I've got maybe half a dozen of those (a few still in the 'to read' pile as well)!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    A fantastic list goswannies! I have a few of those books but you certainly have the definitive collection!

Could you please give a brief review of Daryn Cresswell's book? I've been a Swans supporter since the early 1960s and I class Cresswell as one of the best Swans players I've seen. Not in the class of Skilton, Bedford, Kelly, Goodes, Lockett, etc but still a fantastic player who produced when the pressure was on. Unfortunately, non-football related issues damaged his reputation.

Senior Player
    Has anyone else finished reading Brandon Jack's book yet? Thoughts?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Arrived in the post today. I'll get back to you ...
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Has anyone else finished reading Brandon Jack's book yet? Thoughts?
    1/2 way through. Interesting that he started by saying he didn’t want ito really write a footy book, yet this has a lot of footy, while not necessarily being a footy book. It delves onto the psyche of what could likely be the majority of guys who get drafted - some success without having a lengthy career. So far I’ve seen a bare and honest account that has revealed a refreshing player’s perspective on some commonly known incidents. One thing that distinguishes this book from others is that, as BJ’s career was shorter, little of it was glossed over (so far) you get far more detail about a 28 game career + NEAFL, than you would from a 300+ game career where the book mainly contains career highlights. A little disjointed on occasions, but reads as though it is written by a writer (which BJ is) - not ghost written or poorly written, and this is all the more refreshing. Thus far it has been very reflective and introspective, seemingly very little of off the table. Can’t wait for the second half

Crezza

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    A fantastic list goswannies! I have a few of those books but you certainly have the definitive collection!
    Relatively extensive perhaps, rather than definitive (more that I need to get yet!), but thank you, I have devoured and savoured every word I have read.

Could you please give a brief review of Daryn Cresswell's book? I've been a Swans supporter since the early 1960s and I class Cresswell as one of the best Swans players I've seen. Not in the class of Skilton, Bedford, Kelly, Goodes, Lockett, etc but still a fantastic player who produced when the pressure was on. Unfortunately, non-football related issues damaged his reputation.
    When I started reading 28, one of my first thoughts was back to Crezza. Daryn obviously had a long and decorated career with the Swans and this is well accounted in his book. But the well documented events after his playing days play out in this autobiography. An honest and at times confronting recount of his fall ... and further fall ... and his earnest attempt at redemption (in this eyes of his friends and loved ones and himself). Like BJ, Crezza is open about the non-footballing events that transpired, the impact it had on him and how he coped with one of the most challenging periods of his life - it gives the reader a first person, fly on the wall view of an environment (I’m trying to stay spoiler free by if you want more info just google him and it should be pretty obvious what I am referring to) that most of us could only imagine and we’d be fairly far from the truth.

I have to be honest, there are few Swans books that I haven’t enjoyed, but the at times raw brutality and introspection in Crezza was revealing and refreshing. The non-football issues that you refer to are perhaps some of the most intriguing parts of this autobiography, Daryn doesn’t shirk his role in his plight & for this I give him credit, and he has worked hard at redemption ... for this I give him my admiration. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

As I hit page 152 of BJ’s 28, I found it interesting that either Brandon or his editor had a lapse, misspelling his former captain’s name as Jarrod McVeigh.

A very minor thing, but surprising to me given 1) how many checks books go through and 2) how long BJ spent in the same team as Macca

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    A very minor thing, but surprising to me given 1) how many checks books go through and 2) how long BJ spent in the same team as Macca
    Budetary constraints mean editorial standards aren't what they used to be.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player

Sandridge, if you are interested I reviewed this book for The Roar a number of years ago. I won't post the link, I feel I'm jinxed in that area, but if you wanted to do a search, go with: book review crezza from afl glory to prison and the long road to redemption the roar

Not the briefest of reviews though. I thought this book was a great read. Much better than what you usually get from a sports bio / autobio.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    As I hit page 152 of BJ’s 28, I found it interesting that either Brandon or his editor had a lapse, misspelling his former captain’s name as Jarrod McVeigh.

In relation to McVeigh it was telling that BJ said he didn't have more than ten conversations with McVeigh in the entire time he was
    at the club. But that will be more about McVeigh than BJ I'd say. Anyway I won't say anymore till others have finished the book.
    I've long suspected the editing departments at publishing companies and newspapers aren't what they used to be. All part of the
    relentless race to the bottom unfortunately.
    Last edited by KTigers; 14th August 2021 at 07:37 AM.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    A huge, huge, huge thanks to goswannies and snajik for your thoughts on Daryn Cresswell's book! (Found your review of the book in The Roar, snajik. I, too, thought it was Cressa, not Crezza, and I also occasionally noticed him crossing himself.)

Both of you talk about Cressa's honesty in detailing the troubles in his non-football life and the fact that his book is not just a "highlights package." On your recommendations, I have ordered the book and greatly look forward to reading it! Thanks both!

Although you wouldn't call him a star, Cresswell is one of my all-time favourite Swans because he was very tough, gave his all and could produce big plays when a big play was needed. He reminded me a lot of a player from the 80s, Greg Smith!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast