Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: General Swans news

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Delighted to hear people taking an interest in recent history. I have also listened and enjoyed, but think they underdid the Longmire/Carey story a bit. Greg Harris describes his frustation as at the sale of Longmire and Carey in 1987.

What wasn't mentioned was that Greg Miller (former Swans player, son of a former Swans player and the Swans recruiting officer from 1980-84) had identified Carey at a schools carnival. In 1987 he ran across former colleague Ron Thomas (then Swans GM) at VFL House and convinced him to sell the pair to North (where he'd been apointed as CEO) there and then. As noted by Agent 86, North paid $60k for Horse and $10k for Carey. Longmire was better known as he was playing closer to Melbourne, Carey had joined his odius bother Dick at North Adelaide.

As to the Carlton "offer" to play in Sydney. I personally think there's a very strong case that Alan McAlister did far greater, and certainly longer lasting, good for the Swans and AFL in Sydney than Geoffrey Edelsten.
    Not just our recent history RnR. I'd love to get down to Lake / Lakeside Oval when I have an opportunity. Little things like Covid and work are in the way at the moment. In the meantime, there are plenty of books to read about the South Melbourne days.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    The AFL gallery of the Australian Sporting Museum may also be wirth a visit when in Melbourne. I have no idea what's curently on show, but amongst their treasures they have a winners plate presented to Albert Park (pre VFA) and a South Melbourne players cap in blue and white from before the amalgamation with Albert Park.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 9th August 2021 at 09:11 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Tony Smith was on the post game show on Fox (and Kayo stream) last night and he was excellent. Very articulate and witty.

He was very eloquent when he spoke about the Tex Walker incident and the impact on black fellas.

Pointed out that 20 years ago, Spider Everitt got $20K and eight weeks and 20 years on, it is still happening and $20K and six weeks all this time later seems inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    The AFL gallery of the Austrlian Sporting Museum may also be wirth a visit when in Melbourne. I have no idea what's curently on show, but amongst their treasures they have a winners plate presented to Albert Park (pre VFA) and a South Melbourne players cap in blue and white from before the amalgamation with Albert Park.
    Is that the infamous South Yarra Challenge Cup or something else? I might need to go and check out these displays also, I think. Thanks for the heads up.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Tony Smith was on the post game show on Fox (and Kayo stream) last night and he was excellent. Very articulate and witty.

He was very eloquent when he spoke about the Tex Walker incident and the impact on black fellas.

Pointed out that 20 years ago, Spider Everitt got $20K and eight weeks and 20 years on, it is still happening and $20K and six weeks all this time later seems inadequate.
    Yes he was quite eloquent and it was obvious how the continual use of race as a tool to belittle or hurt people impacts even those at whom it is not personally directed.
    Just to clarify the actual “ suspension “ was just four weeks and it was self imposed by Everitt reports at the time seemed to think it was substantial enough

“Everitt incurred a self-imposed four-game suspension and a $20,000 fine in the Chisholm case. Given lost bonuses, the racial slur cost him almost $50,000.”
    Last edited by Faunac8; 9th August 2021 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Not just our recent history RnR. I'd love to get down to Lake / Lakeside Oval when I have an opportunity. Little things like Covid and work are in the way at the moment. In the meantime, there are plenty of books to read about the South Melbourne days.
    I have over 40 Swans related books (either exclusively about the Swans, player biographies/autobiographies, some kids books (so that when I have my own cygnets they can learn to love the Swans from an early age), books on the Swans as both Sydney and South. Love each and every one of them.

Some of the South ones are the most fascinating!

Just wish someone would pen one about Bobby Skilton and Bob Pratt. I’d also love to have one written about our “One Game Wonders” ... all of those players who pulled on the Swans jumper for a single game, to become part of our club’s great history ... there might be some fascinating stories there I’d say

Got my signed copy of Brandon’s 28 today

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I have over 40 Swans related books (either exclusively about the Swans, player biographies/autobiographies, some kids books (so that when I have my own cygnets they can learn to love the Swans from an early age), books on the Swans as both Sydney and South. Love each and every one of them.

Some of the South ones are the most fascinating!

Just wish someone would pen one about Bobby Skilton and Bob Pratt. I’d also love to have one written about our “One Game Wonders” ... all of those players who pulled on the Swans jumper for a single game, to become part of our club’s great history ... there might be some fascinating stories there I’d say
    I'd love to see your list to see what I should be hunting down. I'm also starting to amass a collection of Swans books (both in Sydney and South Melbourne).

Swans Books

I'd love to see your list to see what I should be hunting down. I'm also starting to amass a collection of Swans books (both in Sydney and South Melbourne).
    Hi Mark26, I’ve just had quick look on my bookshelf and I think the following might be a fairly complete list of Swans related books that I personally own. There are others out there that I’m yet to get. Some of those yet to get biographies/books might only have fleeting references to the Swans. From your collection, please do let me know what I still need to hunt down

Autobiographies/biographies
    • Brandon Jack “28”
    • *Norm Smith “The Red Fox” (one chapter on his time as South’s coach)
    • *Rodney Eade “Rocket Science”
    • Len Thompson “The Other Side of the Medal”
    • Paul & Tammy Roos “Sport is Life, Life is Sport”
    • Paul Roos “Here it is”
    • Paul Roos “Beyond 300”
    • All 4 Daniher brothers “the Danihers”
    • Geoff Craighead “Turn Around” (only a short chapter about his playing career)
    • Jeff Patterson “What a Life!”
    • Greg Williams “Diesel”
    • *Ned Wallish “The Great Laurie Nash”
    • *Robert Allan “Cazaly”
    • Barry Hall “Pulling no punches”
    • Daryn Creswell “Crezza”
    • David Rhys-Jones “Rhys”
    • Michael O’Loughlin “Micky O”
    • Tadhg Kennelly “Unfinished Business”
    • Paul Kelly “SwanSong”
    • Brett & Hayley Kirk “Braveheart”
    • Warwick Capper “Fool Forward”
    • Geoffrey Edelsten “Enigma”
    • Austin Robertson “The Fastest Man Alive”
    • Tony Lockett “My Life”
    • Tony Lockett “Tony Lockett (Ironbark Legends)“

Swans History
    • Marc Fiddian “Days by the Lake - A History Of the South Melbourne Football Club”
    • Marc Fiddian “ The Swan Lake spectacular”
    • Mark Branagan & Mike Lefebvre “Bloodstained Angels - The Rise and Fall of the Foreign Legion”
    • Ian Shaw “The Bloodbath - the 1945 Grand Final”
    • Jim Main “Shake Down the Thunder”
    • Jim Main “Plugger and the Mighty Swans”
    • Jim Main “In the Blood”
    • Jim Main “Honour the Names” (Team of the Century Book)
    • Jim Main & Russell Holmesby “Encyclopaedia of AFL Footballers” (2004 Swans edition)
    • Sally Freud & Mark Cutler “The Story of the Swans”
    • “2011 Hall of Fame - Bloods Legend & Inductees ”
    • Kevin Taylor “The Sydney Swans”
    • Martin Blake “The Rise of the Swans - A Decade of Success 2003-2012”

Childrens books
    • Anita Heiss “Kicking Goals with Goodsey & Magic”
    • Lorraine Wilson “Come on the Swans” (1982)
    • Lorraine Wilson “Sydney Swans” (1984)
    • Lorraine Wilson “Up the Swans” (1996)
    • Lorraine Wilson “Sydney Swans” (2015)
    • Michael Sedunary & Paul Harvey “Sophie Stars for the Swans”
    • Roger Vaughan Carr “Come on the Sydney Swans”
    • Michael O’Loughlin “Michael O’Loughlin”

Hi Mark26, I’ve just had quick look on my bookshelf and I think the following might be a fairly complete list of Swans related books that I personally own. There are others out there that I’m yet to get. Some of those yet to get biographies/books might only have fleeting references to the Swans. From your collection, please do let me know what I still need to hunt down

Autobiographies/biographies
    • Brandon Jack “28”
    • *Norm Smith “The Red Fox” (one chapter on his time as South’s coach)
    • *Rodney Eade “Rocket Science”
    • Len Thompson “The Other Side of the Medal”
    • Paul & Tammy Roos “Sport is Life, Life is Sport”
    • Paul Roos “Here it is”
    • Paul Roos “Beyond 300”
    • All 4 Daniher brothers “the Danihers”
    • Geoff Craighead “Turn Around” (only a short chapter about his playing career)
    • Jeff Patterson “What a Life!”
    • Greg Williams “Diesel”
    • *Ned Wallish “The Great Laurie Nash”
    • *Robert Allan “Cazaly”
    • Barry Hall “Pulling no punches”
    • Daryn Creswell “Crezza”
    • David Rhys-Jones “Rhys”
    • Michael O’Loughlin “Micky O”
    • Tadhg Kennelly “Unfinished Business”
    • Paul Kelly “SwanSong”
    • Brett & Hayley Kirk “Braveheart”
    • Warwick Capper “Fool Forward”
    • Geoffrey Edelsten “Enigma”
    • Austin Robertson “The Fastest Man Alive”
    • Tony Lockett “My Life”
    • Tony Lockett “Tony Lockett (Ironbark Legends)“

Swans History
    • Marc Fiddian “Days by the Lake - A History Of the South Melbourne Football Club”
    • Marc Fiddian “ The Swan Lake spectacular”
    • Mark Branagan & Mike Lefebvre “Bloodstained Angels - The Rise and Fall of the Foreign Legion”
    • Ian Shaw “The Bloodbath - the 1945 Grand Final”
    • Jim Main “Shake Down the Thunder”
    • Jim Main “Plugger and the Mighty Swans”
    • Jim Main “In the Blood”
    • Jim Main “Honour the Names” (Team of the Century Book)
    • Jim Main & Russell Holmesby “Encyclopaedia of AFL Footballers” (2004 Swans edition)
    • Sally Freud & Mark Cutler “The Story of the Swans”
    • “2011 Hall of Fame - Bloods Legend & Inductees ”
    • Kevin Taylor “The Sydney Swans”
    • Martin Blake “The Rise of the Swans - A Decade of Success 2003-2012”

Childrens books
    • Anita Heiss “Kicking Goals with Goodsey & Magic”
    • Lorraine Wilson “Come on the Swans” (1982)
    • Lorraine Wilson “Sydney Swans” (1984)
    • Lorraine Wilson “Up the Swans” (1996)
    • Lorraine Wilson “Sydney Swans” (2015)
    • Michael Sedunary & Paul Harvey “Sophie Stars for the Swans”
    • Roger Vaughan Carr “Come on the Sydney Swans”
    • Michael O’Loughlin “Michael O’Loughlin”
    A great list GoSwannies! There are half a dozen titles there I'll have to chase down as I have a lot already.

Here are a few others you didn't mention which I can recommend. Note, I've placed player's names in brackets to indicate chapters dedicated to them.

* Jon Anderson - 100 Goals: The stars that kicked them (Capper, Franklin, Lockett)
    * Ben Collins - The Champions (Barassi, Skilton, Williams)
    * Bruce McAvaney - Learning from Legends (AFL)
    * Barry Mitchell - How to play your position (Lockett, Kelly, Roos)
    * Emma Quayle - The Draft (Vezpremi)
    * Emma Quayle - The Draftees (Heaney)
    * Kevin Sheedy - Icons of Footy (Barassi, Franklin, Goodes)
    * Geoff Slattery - The Brownlow: A tribute to the greats of Australian football

I haven't read Mike Willesee - Memoirs, Tom Harley's Standing Tall or Stevie J's book yet for varying reasons, but have them on my shelf along with a number of other titles which are about our game, but not necessarily Swans-specific.

Swans books

A great list GoSwannies! There are half a dozen titles there I'll have to chase down as I have a lot already.

Here are a few others you didn't mention which I can recommend. Note, I've placed player's names in brackets to indicate chapters dedicated to them.

* Jon Anderson - 100 Goals: The stars that kicked them (Capper, Franklin, Lockett)
    * Ben Collins - The Champions (Barassi, Skilton, Williams)
    * Bruce McAvaney - Learning from Legends (AFL)
    * Barry Mitchell - How to play your position (Lockett, Kelly, Roos)
    * Emma Quayle - The Draft (Vezpremi)
    * Emma Quayle - The Draftees (Heaney)
    * Kevin Sheedy - Icons of Footy (Barassi, Franklin, Goodes)
    * Geoff Slattery - The Brownlow: A tribute to the greats of Australian football

I haven't read Mike Willesee - Memoirs, Tom Harley's Standing Tall or Stevie J's book yet for varying reasons, but have them on my shelf along with a number of other titles which are about our game, but not necessarily Swans-specific.
    I do have the Champions but haven’t tended to go for the other ones you’ve listed as the Swans to non-Swans ratio generally weren’t enough to justify them for me (although I might go for the Brownlow book as many of the the Brownlow medalists were either won with us or played/coached with us during their careers).

Is Pratt in the 100 Goals book?

I do have the Champions but haven’t tended to go for the other ones you’ve listed as the Swans to non-Swans ratio generally weren’t enough to justify them for me (although I might go for the Brownlow book as many of the the Brownlow medalists were either won with us or played/coached with us during their careers).

Is Pratt in the 100 Goals book?
    Fair enough. Pratt doesn't make an appearance in 100 Goals. The other one which I missed is Matt Watson's Sons of Guns. It has two chapters of interest (the Mitchell family and the Shaw).

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast